Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:25 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowanStern View Post
The word "still" in the question implies that at some time in the past, it was a given that it was then important to buy American brand autos. The importance of that, in my opinion, remains open to question. Also questionable, is whether there is more benefit in buying an "American brand", or a unit that was made in the USA, providing employment and well-being to American workers.

There are several different ways that one can look at the "good" of spending wealth. From the narrow US perspective in 2012, I might argue that spending any money at all is morally questionable, given that each dollar I spend is going to disproportionately benefit the already-wealthy, rather than a lower economic class who is deserving of economic support and compensation for his labor. So by buying anything marketed in the macro-economy, I am just helping to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. Personally I have trouble with that.

In the broader global picture, if a working-class person is going to advance his well-being from the dollar I spend, why should I care if a decent virtuous diligent man working to support his family is an American or a Brazilian or an Indonesian? Yes, it would benefit me if that worker paid taxes which would ultimately be to my favor, but selfishness would be the primary motive in that case. Otherwise, he's just a working stiff seeking a dignified lifestyle comparable to the one I was lucky enough to be born to, and if any part of my dollar trickles down to him, that's fine with me wherever he is.

So the difference to me is not the flag that the carmaker wears on his lapel pin, but the value I get for my money when I make a purchase. Morally, from that dollar, all I would hope is that there is a decent wage being paid for a decent day's work somewhere along the way, bringing deserved well-being to the family and the community of the worker..
The value for the dollar is the same now. This allows us to consider moral, patriotic, ethical and other options. Part of buying a car is you want to feel good about it. Our cars are important to us. For some people they feel good about their car if they know its purchase contributed to the well being of the country or to some of their countrymen or neighbors. If the purpose of buying a car is to obtain an appliance that will transport you from point a to point b as economically as possible, we should all drive Sparks.

It the goal is to "do good" and help the poor, buy an American car and give it to a poor American worker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:57 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Base your opinion of Japanese cars on a Toyota built in 1973 - almost 40 years ago?
Not at all. The SO has had a pile of Lexus cars, and they are wonderful. My comment was that they didn't figure out the concept of road salt and snow (and a heated garage), until way after 1973. I made/make no presumptions (as you are doing), about anything. Just stated a fact.
There is a course you can take, called 'Reading Comprehension 101". I advise it.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:16 AM

16,674 posts, read 17,444,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
With associations such as The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and the ongoing globilizaion of the automobile industry (aswell as other U.S. industries), do you believe it is still important to purchase American brand automobiles?

Any other thoughts, comments, and concerns about the U.S. auto industry and America's desire for foreign made automobiles, please post them here.
We had a 'Buy British' campaign over here in the 1970s when foreign cars started to make more of an appearance over here.

Such a campaign is, I believe, sending out the wrong kind of message.

What it is effectively saying is that Britain cannot compete on grounds of the product, therefore we are appealing to your sense of 'National Pride' and concern for employees here at home. (Never mind that at the time half the workers here were on strike through some unofficial dispute.)

What is needed at any time and in any market is for a company to compete by having a good product that can hold its own in the marketplace.

British cars were often pretty crap in those dim distant days and the Japanese, and other imports, gave our industry the boot up the backside that it needed.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:57 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
We had a 'Buy British' campaign over here in the 1970s when foreign cars started to make more of an appearance over here.

Such a campaign is, I believe, sending out the wrong kind of message.

What it is effectively saying is that Britain cannot compete on grounds of the product, therefore we are appealing to your sense of 'National Pride' and concern for employees here at home. (Never mind that at the time half the workers here were on strike through some unofficial dispute.)

What is needed at any time and in any market is for a company to compete by having a good product that can hold its own in the marketplace.

British cars were often pretty crap in those dim distant days and the Japanese, and other imports, gave our industry the boot up the backside that it needed.
Oh geez.
My former boss would order from Digi-Key a pile of toggle switches for his Triumph cars, as he stated "well they will all fail soon, so why not replace them now?" These were new cars. Lucas. Dark Lord of electrical systems. The Jags and MG's my friends had would never have very good performance, as the trunk had to be kept full of Snap-On tools. I do admit it was a humbling experience to rebuild a fuel pump on the side of the road, or use a piece of fishing line to keep the windshield wipers from going off the glass.
Ickedway Unkjay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive