Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 01:28 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
...What's funny is GM is very popular in China and GM is moving into that market with success....

Yeah...I think I read somewhere that more Buicks are sold in China than in the US.

Maybe we'll get even with them yet! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 01:36 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,158,044 times
I think if you buy Toyota, you'd be benefitting the U.S much more than supporting Ford. Toyota is employing Americans, ford and Gm have their manafacturers in other countries.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:38 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,772,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I have a Ford Fusion. It has a Mazda 6 motor and rides on a lengthened Mazda chassis, and it was built in Mexico. The only thing American about it is the blue oval - and the NASCAR connection, but I wasn't even aware of that when I bought it.
Ford owns Mazda... Its going towards Americans much more then japanese cars would

Old 09-01-2008, 11:38 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,085,740 times
If I were in the market for a truck, I'd consider a Ford. It seems to be what they're good at.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:26 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I think if you buy Toyota, you'd be benefitting the U.S much more than supporting Ford. Toyota is employing Americans, ford and Gm have their manafacturers in other countries.
GM and Ford also employ Americans - Yes, GM/Ford have factories overseas, and Toyota has factories here, but nowhere near the number of Ford/GM/Chrysler factories in the US.

Plus, GM and Ford buy from a lot of American parts makers, not all from overseas. Toyota does as well to a lesser extent, but its a gross oversimplification to just say buy a Toyota because it has a factory here, and don't buy a GM car because they have a factory in Mexico.

If you think you're benefiting America more by buying a Toyota you're grossly incorrect. 90% f the world's Camrys are assembled in the USA, but many other Toyotas come from Japan exclusively. If you want to benefit America, buying an American car is still your best option.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:25 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,189,271 times
My 2008 Honda Accord is built in Ohio, and many Japanese (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and Nissan being the main America-builders) cars are now built in America. while countless "American" cars are now built foreign in Mexico, Europe, even South Korea... Not to mention my Honda will still be running smoothly while those American cars are rusting hulks in a field somewhere with people throwing beer cans at them!

Old 06-12-2012, 10:33 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,373,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
My 2008 Honda Accord is built in Ohio, and many Japanese (Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and Nissan being the main America-builders) cars are now built in America. while countless "American" cars are now built foreign in Mexico, Europe, even South Korea... Not to mention my Honda will still be running smoothly while those American cars are rusting hulks in a field somewhere with people throwing beer cans at them!
I'm always intrigued when/why a 3-5 year old thread gets resurrected...

Anyway, I certainly don't disagree with your statements that some American cars are actually built and marketed overseas, and some foreign cars are built and marketed here. We are indeed in a global market.

However, it is not accurate to say that Japanese cars will be running smoothly while "American cars are rusting hulks in a field somewhere..." For the most part, Japanese-made cars & trucks (until perhaps recently) are absolutely the WORST vehicles for rust. I live in the Midwest, where salt is used on roads in the winter. Find me 1 Toyota or Subaru that is not a complete rust bucket, and I'll show you 20 Chevys of the same vintage that are still okay.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
With associations such as The Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and the ongoing globilizaion of the automobile industry (aswell as other U.S. industries), do you believe it is still important to purchase American brand automobiles?

Any other thoughts, comments, and concerns about the U.S. auto industry and America's desire for foreign made automobiles, please post them here.
It's "important" to an American brand company's bottom line, but I'm still gonna buy what I want, no matter where the brand comes from. If the Big Three keep putting out crap, I will not buy it just because they are American.

BTW I own a Jeep and and a Toyota... both were built in the USA and they never attack each other in the garage.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:41 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
No. You have to take care of yourself and buy the best car for you.
Do you think car companies will treat you differently based on where your car was built? No.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:48 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Could not agree more. Last American cars I bought (well, not the ones I chopped into race cars) was a '73 Nova, and a '67 Chevelle, and a Bonnie-and Clyde (early V8 Ford) . (This is just a personal opinion, so no flames please). I don't think a decent car came off the US assembly line since about 1972-1973. But we were really good at building aircraft way before then, such as in WW2.
But I am in really screwy vehicles now, like a 'Tuk-Tuk', or 'Wans', or 'Song Thaew'.
Eh, learning cultural diversity is a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive