Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM

689 posts, read 2,166,099 times

Advertisements

The word "still" in the question implies that at some time in the past, it was a given that it was then important to buy American brand autos. The importance of that, in my opinion, remains open to question. Also questionable, is whether there is more benefit in buying an "American brand", or a unit that was made in the USA, providing employment and well-being to American workers.

There are several different ways that one can look at the "good" of spending wealth. From the narrow US perspective in 2012, I might argue that spending any money at all is morally questionable, given that each dollar I spend is going to disproportionately benefit the already-wealthy, rather than a lower economic class who is deserving of economic support and compensation for his labor. So by buying anything marketed in the macro-economy, I am just helping to make the rich richer and the poor poorer. Personally I have trouble with that.

In the broader global picture, if a working-class person is going to advance his well-being from the dollar I spend, why should I care if a decent virtuous diligent man working to support his family is an American or a Brazilian or an Indonesian? Yes, it would benefit me if that worker paid taxes which would ultimately be to my favor, but selfishness would be the primary motive in that case. Otherwise, he's just a working stiff seeking a dignified lifestyle comparable to the one I was lucky enough to be born to, and if any part of my dollar trickles down to him, that's fine with me wherever he is.

So the difference to me is not the flag that the carmaker wears on his lapel pin, but the value I get for my money when I make a purchase. Morally, from that dollar, all I would hope is that there is a decent wage being paid for a decent day's work somewhere along the way, bringing deserved well-being to the family and the community of the worker..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:00 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,791,973 times
I still think it matters. Individually, domestic automakers still employ more Americans than any of the foreign automakers. On average, domestic cars still have a higher percentage of parts from the United States. Most importantly, the profits when buying a domestic car stay in the United States, which seems to be a novel concept these days when you look at the massive, continuous transfer of wealth out of the country.

Final assembly points are overrated. They're only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to job creation. If you have a car with 80% American parts that's assembled in Mexico, and a car with 50% American parts that's assembled in Alabama, then guess what? The car that's built in Mexico still provides more jobs for Americans because many more people are needed to build the parts than to put them all together.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,969,661 times
I thnik the have to buy american is what got the big 3 in the problems they are in.Bascially it just amde auto companies and unions not care what they were putting out the door. One only had to listen to GM workers talkabout sending out refective vehicle to let dealers deal with them and that Ford executives said they would release deisgns with know problems to get them out before the new CEO form Boeing stop it that shows why they failed.Even more than the banks( who have paid back the loans with some profit) they wre the poster boys for TOO BIG TO FAIL.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:30 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,791,973 times
Well foreign competition is fine; it's a free market. I was illustrating that it's disingenuous to say that foreign automakers care more about the United States or its economy than the domestic automakers do, or that they're somehow more "American" than the domestic automakers are.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,952,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Plus foreign vehicles tend to be more polarizing in certain environments and it's always best to avoid it. Not necessarily because I care what people think of what I drive but because I want to avoid unneeded friction.
Polarizing? Probably the most polarizing vehicles on the road today are the Hummers. Bro's love those stupid things, whereas your average hipster wouldn't be caught dead in one. Of course those are out of production right now, so the most polarizing vehicles currently being built are probably the 3500-series heavy duty pickup trucks, which have the same effect stated above.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:19 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,718,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Polarizing? Probably the most polarizing vehicles on the road today are the Hummers. Bro's love those stupid things, whereas your average hipster wouldn't be caught dead in one. Of course those are out of production right now, so the most polarizing vehicles currently being built are probably the 3500-series heavy duty pickup trucks, which have the same effect stated above.
I've always found Prius to be more polarizing than the Hummer's were. One ton trucks tens to be the workhorse for many industries, I couldn't see how a vehicles that is necessary for many applications can be polarizing.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 PM

25,858 posts, read 16,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've always found Prius to be more polarizing than the Hummer's were. One ton trucks tens to be the workhorse for many industries, I couldn't see how a vehicles that is necessary for many applications can be polarizing.
Yeah, when I see a heavy duty PU truck I assume they have some big boat or camper to pull and they want to do it safely. I don't know many people who drive around in a HD Pick Up who don't need it.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,952,947 times
The Prius hasn't been polarizing since the first time gas shot past $3.50/gallon.

As for the 1-ton pickups, I should specify those cheesy "Harley Davidson" and "King Ranch" editions that are not very likely to be put to very much work.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:12 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,718,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
The Prius hasn't been polarizing since the first time gas shot past $3.50/gallon.

As for the 1-ton pickups, I should specify those cheesy "Harley Davidson" and "King Ranch" editions that are not very likely to be put to very much work.
The King Ranch and Harley-Davidson edition 1-tons aren't usually put to much work but they're also a very small percentage of heavy duty pickups sold on the market. I see quite a few retired guys pulling a fifth wheeler or boat with these trucks.

But usually a one ton isn't a daily driver unless you're actually using it for a purpose. I drive an F-150 daily but I'd never buy a heavy duty truck to commute with.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,226,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Most of these discussion are based on things from the past. Today there is little difference between the cars mdade by various manufactureres. Most of them even look alike. To me with pretty much all else being equal, I keep my money here. I have added social and professional reasons to go with a US based Marque, but even without that, I would tend to lean toward keeping as much of my money here as possible. I do that in all purchases. If I can find a US brand of equal quality I go with that.

In many cases what I find in non-automotive products is the US brands are much more expensive, but much better quality. With new cars, quality is about the same. Looking for older cars with the kids, it is very difficult to find any US branded vehicles 15-20 years old that are decent quality, there are a few models here and there, but it is hard to find. New cars are a completely different story. .
I would tend to agree with this. I think Ford's CEO is a superb leader, right on up there with Jobs for laying out a vision and executing. However, it's worthwhile to note that Mulally was not from the auto industry, but rather from Boeing, which means no bad habits. In fact, one of Mulally's first moves upon hitting the board room was grilling the designers, trying to figure out why in God's name there were close to 300 different dashboard configurations. It's the Broken Window school of law enforcement applied to design and manufacturing. Take care of the little things and the big things take care of themselves.

That being said, the litany of failures by the country's automotive leaders is long and well-documented. Hopefully, they've learned their lessons, ushering in an age of better products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive