Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 09:14 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,062,724 times

Advertisements

MODERATOR EDIT: Katie's need to buy a car or fix her current car was split into a thread for that purpose and is in the Las Vegas forum.

THIS thread contains postings that got off topic for Katie's situation but contains a lot of good discussion that should not be deleted as off topic but rather put here in the Automotive forum so all the car fans can contribute as needed.

If any questions DM the moderator, keep it out of the forums.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-04-2020 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 01:57 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,062,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Hey Katie the Heartbreaker - you can be the Las Vegas poster who actually goes out and buys a car! I talk about getting one but am forbidden from doing so. Everyone else on here appears to be on hold with what they're driving, so... that's kind of exciting for you. I absolutely love the entire process of shopping for a rig.

I really don't have a choice. My old GEO is finally becoming an endless money pit. I almost bought this beauty below. I was so close, but I would have had to use some of my savings which is not smart. I decided just to wait until I see how much money I get from the unemployment stimulus and whether I am going to get my job back or not. That will determine how much I spend on a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I haven't had A/C in my car(s) since moving from MN in 1993, which included 3 hot summers in Phoenix, 22 summers in Sinless City and going on 2 in Tucson. You cannot, cannot, cannot label me a Wimp!

I can deal with it, but I don't like it. Right now, it really doesn't matter since I am not working.

Here is the car I almost bought a couple weeks ago. I know tjjlover will approve since it really is a Toyota Supra with a Lexus badge.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Lexus-...rdt=true&rt=nc

p.s. I do have one other option. Another city-data member offered to buy me a brand new Camaro if I would marry him.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:07 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,528,460 times
Katie - well, that '92 Lexus has the modern "melting iced cube" look going for it real well. It is obvious Lexus was pulling out the stops going for the maximum modern look. It has an unoffensive look to it.

As to the Camaro purchase bribe...I...I mean offer...hee-hee...well, Foghat has a song off of their 'Stone Blue' album in which it goes like this:

"I'll buy you a Chevrolet, I'll buy you a Chevrolet, I'll buy you a Chevrolet if you just give me some of your love."

Oh yeah, the song rocks nicely and it includes a classic Rod Price guitar solo in it.

Old 05-28-2020, 09:34 AM

Katie the Heartbreaker - you've heard about a 2nd round of stimulus payment, I'm sure. Trump and the GOP wants to wait until June sometime to mull Pelosi's newest request over. There will be a 2nd check, of course. There may be Hazard Pay on it that will give Medical workers huge boosts to their pay till COVID-19's "end." I really question whether that will be included in this bill.

It will pay out the same $1,200 plus another $1,200 if you're married filing jointly. I hope you get the circumstances to buy your next rig.

And I sincerely hope that everything works out for you and you find what you're looking for. These times are rough and rocky and uncertain but I have confidence you're going to come out just fine.

Old 05-28-2020, 02:53 PM

Why are you fixated on buying a stick Lexus SC300, EA? You've done the research and they're just hotter than a firecracker to you, or what?

Old 05-28-2020, 03:54 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,133,496 times
I want one because they share a chassis with the mkiv Supra (the good one) so you can have all the benefits of the Supra
for 1/10th the price. Mkiv Supras are pushing 100k now. What makes them so good is the engine, transmission, and rear end. They're bulletproof.
If you're not into cars you might not get this, but Boost Logic, a tuning company, built their Supra for drag racing. The engine made 1800hp, the transmission and rear end, in 100% stock form, held all that power through hundreds of launches.

1800hp launches are absolutely insane and violent. And all that stuff bolts right into the sc300. Yeah, it doesn't look as good as the Supra, it's not a Supra, but it can go like a Supra.

To give an idea how bad ass these parts are, the transmissions are selling for over 10 grand. (the 6 speed v160 and v161)
The king daddy transmission of the muscle car world is the t56 and you can get those for 1500 bucks or less all day long.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now. lol.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:30 PM

Nah that explanation did it, EA. I asked you about it. I love when people are enthusiastic about automobiles they have or they want. Totally get it. The SC300 sounds like a true, indestructible beast!

Old 05-28-2020, 08:20 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,723,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
I want one because they share a chassis with the mkiv Supra (the good one) so you can have all the benefits of the Supra
for 1/10th the price. Mkiv Supras are pushing 100k now. What makes them so good is the engine, transmission, and rear end. They're bulletproof.
If you're not into cars you might not get this, but Boost Logic, a tuning company, built their Supra for drag racing. The engine made 1800hp, the transmission and rear end, in 100% stock form, held all that power through hundreds of launches.

1800hp launches are absolutely insane and violent. And all that stuff bolts right into the sc300. Yeah, it doesn't look as good as the Supra, it's not a Supra, but it can go like a Supra.

To give an idea how bad ass these parts are, the transmissions are selling for over 10 grand. (the 6 speed v160 and v161)
The king daddy transmission of the muscle car world is the t56 and you can get those for 1500 bucks or less all day long.

Ok, I'll get off my soap box now. lol.

One of Toyota's best engines for sure The SC300 used the 2jZ-GE, while the Supras used the 2jZ-GTE.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:42 AM

2019 Hyundai Veloster R-Spec 6-speed stick

This baby has a 201-hp turbocharged 1.6L 4-cyl engine with a 6-speed stick. One huge reason I'm excited about this R-Spec is it's price. The car is used and has only 13,777 miles on it and it's selling for $17,300. It's original cost was $23,835. It's at a Midwest dealer that I consider within my striking range. The dealer says it's clean, looks like new, passes it's inspections and the CarFax is clean. The $17,300 blasts through my usual high price-point of around $16,000, but, when the car has a 0-60 time of 6.2 seconds and looks like a dream, and I'm approaching retirement and would consider this car my last car. I don't wanna get cryptic, but Mrs. elkotronics and I only put about 15,000 miles a year on our rig. By all rights, I would bill this rig as the last car we're gonna need, honey!!

This one would only have 13,777 on the odometer starting out. I know my fight getting this will with be the Mrs. I'm gonna just keep an eye on the car while I recover from pneumonia and hope to get back to work on Wed. night.

But this car checks ALL OF MY BOXES! I absolutely love it!!!! I was focusing earlier on the 2019-2020 Hyundai Veloster base 2.0 that was more in the $18,000 range new, but, this car, for actually a grand less than that because it's gently used, has much more of a built suspension, a turbocharged engine and an updated interior. Trying not to over-interest myself in it to just get my enthusiasm balloon popped, but I'm too much of a car NUT to not!!!!

Old 05-29-2020, 11:20 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,723,364 times
New Corolla Hatch coming with a turbo

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...onfirmed-2022/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive