Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 06:05 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times

Advertisements

Not sure what's going on with this thread...but if you're looking at a Veloster be sure to check out the Kia Forte5 too. Basically the same car just with an extra door.

Picked up my 2015 for $18,900 brand new. Same 201hp engine and manual transmission. Essentially a budget GTI that is more reliable. A rear sway bar helps elevate the handling immensely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 09:16 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,503,165 times
Thanks for that suggestion. I'll add the Kia Forte5 to my cars.com and CarGurus.com searches. That is a great looking Kia, the Forte5.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Not sure what's going on with this thread...but if you're looking at a Veloster be sure to check out the Kia Forte5 too. Basically the same car just with an extra door.

Picked up my 2015 for $18,900 brand new. Same 201hp engine and manual transmission. Essentially a budget GTI that is more reliable. A rear sway bar helps elevate the handling immensely.
Thats a good looking car. I think Kia styling is better overall than Hyundai

Old 06-05-2020, 02:11 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
I think the Kia Forte 5 is a better deal, cheaper and no frills vs the Veloster plate. It's one of the best bargains out there. The only thing is that it's only about a few grand cheaper than Civic SI which has a much bigger aftermarket and resale value.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:38 PM

I think the Kia Forte 5 is a better deal, cheaper and no frills vs the Veloster plate. It's one of the best bargains out there. The only thing is that it's only about a few grand cheaper than Civic SI which has a much bigger aftermarket and resale value.

That's not a concern to me but it might be to a lot of buyers. I'd be looking for a purchase to keep for a long, long time. The Kia Forte5 6-speed and Hyundai Veloster R-Spec Turbo 6-speed are both on my list now. I wouldn't sweat resale value on either of them.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:06 PM

I don't know if any of y'all like the 2013-2018 Ford Focus ST or the 2014 - 2019 Ford Fiesta ST but I kind of have a hankering for both of those Ford's. I have found a 2014 Ford Focus ST for sale in a neighboring state that I really like. It's a Race Red one with some nice modifications done to it. I like the Custom Butler Built Twin Hood Scoops/Cold Air Induction, 2.0L GTDI EcoBoost Turbocharged I-4 Engine, 6-Speed Manual Gearbox w/Aftermarket Shifter, Fully Adjustable Front Splitter, Michelin Tires, 18" 5-Spoke OEM Wheels (the Ford OEM Rado Grey wheels look especially choice on this particular car), Aluminum Interior Trim, Two-Tone Black/Gray "ST" Cloth Interior, the Race Red exterior in primo paint condition, MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust, Aftermarket Intake Manifold, Aftermarket Engine Mounts, Rear Spoiler, and the Leather-Wrapped "ST" Wheel w/Vehicle Controls. This car looks to have been lovingly treated by its two owners. The car has 48,579 miles on it and the used car dealer is asking $14,991 for it. Here's a look at it:

On one hand I like everything about it but I'm a little hesitant with so many aftermarket updates done to the red rocket. I'm not one to go apepoop with aftermarket items. But, having said that, the guy or guys that gussied this pup up did a painstakingly good job with it. It looks great ta me. And priced just south of $15,000 it doesn't exactly break the bank, either.

Last edited by elkotronics; 06-06-2020 at 08:35 PM..

Old 06-06-2020, 08:51 PM

808 posts, read 690,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I don't know if any of y'all like the 2013-2018 Ford Focus ST or the 2014 - 2019 Ford Fiesta ST but I kind of have a hankering for both of those Ford's. I have found a 2014 Ford Focus ST for sale in a neighboring state that I really like. It's a Race Red one with some nice modifications done to it. I like the Custom Butler Built Twin Hood Scoops/Cold Air Induction, 2.0L GTDI EcoBoost Turbocharged I-4 Engine, 6-Speed Manual Gearbox w/Aftermarket Shifter, Fully Adjustable Front Splitter, Michelin Tires, 18" 5-Spoke OEM Wheels (the Ford OEM Rado Grey wheels look especially choice on this particular car), Aluminum Interior Trim, Two-Tone Black/Gray "ST" Cloth Interior, the Race Red exterior in primo paint condition, MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust, Aftermarket Intake Manifold, Aftermarket Engine Mounts, Rear Spoiler, and the Leather-Wrapped "ST" Wheel w/Vehicle Controls. This car looks to have been lovingly treated by its two owners. The car has 48,579 miles on it and the used car dealer is asking $14,991 for it. Here's a look at it:

On one hand I like everything about it but I'm a little hesitant with so many aftermarket updates done to the red rocket. I'm not one to go apepoop with aftermarket items. But, having said that, the guy or guys that gussied this pup up did a painstakingly good job with it. It looks great ta me. And priced just south of $15,000 it doesn't exactly break the bank, either.
I'm generally not super wary of cars that were modded early on in ownership, then driven a lot, because that tells me that the owner a) - took care of his/her car, and b) - the mods haven't come at the cost of reliability. However, if it was recently modded then I would be a little more hesitant because it hasn't been as proven yet.

Both of the STs were really well-received, but I think the Fiesta ST is actually the one to have. I don't think I've ever seen a car (at least not on this side of $50k) get as much unanimous praise as it did, other than maybe the S2000 or something like that.

Old 06-06-2020, 10:31 PM

Yeah, good point about asking when the mods were done. I agree, early on would be preferable.

As for the Ford Fiesta ST - I absolutely love that car. In my own personal situation, I drive a 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed base. It's been a good car but has broke down twice. Mrs. elkotronics doesn't like "those little cars that are hard to get in and out of." She loves Kia Soul's though, because they're easier for her to get in and out of. It has to do with the seat height off the ground. And, in 2017, the ignition switch failed upon arrival at a new location Mrs. elkotronics and I were moving to. With the rental car costs plus the $264 bill that Wenatchee Kia charged to replace the ignition switch, we were out $620 for that part failure.

Then, in 2018 the crankcase sensor sending unit failed. I came out of the Deming, NM, hotel we were staying in to fire the Soul's engine up and...nothing. It would try to turn over but just couldn't. So, with the original tow to the repair shop in Deming to diagnose the problem, plus the tow to Pitra Kia in Las Cruces(no one else had the part in stock) plus the repair bill at Pitra Kia to replace the crankcase sensor, we were out about $700 bucks. I keep track of these car repairs and I hate repairs to my car that are outside of regular maintenance to the car. Very annoying. So, we have two more payments on the Soul and the car is ours. That's nice but I'm a hopeless car nut. My mind is constantly working on getting my next car.

However, when I scored my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS in March of 2007 I felt content. No car searching necessary at all.

The Kia Soul is a decent car but a 2019-2020 Hyundai Veloster R-Spec 6-speed or this 2014 Ford Focus ST in Race Red would fully satisfy my car love. I would seriously try to preserve whatever car I score to last for the long haul - meaning for the rest of my driving years. Cars can last a long time these days with proper maintenance. Financially the deal could be done without any heartache or heartbreak whatsoever. Mrs. elkotronics likes to listen to Clark Howard and Dave Ramsey, meaning no car purchases that involve putting money down and/or making payments for 5-6 years. That's a big no-no with those guys. So, when we do buy a new car or new-to-us car, it will be paid in full in cash. But - the Mrs. will want to just drive and continue maintaining the 2011 Kia Soul 5-speed stick. Of course, why buy a new or new ta you rig when one doesn't really need a car?

Easy - because I LOVE cars but I don't love our Kia Soul. I do like the car, I just don't love it. I really want the Fiesta ST, Focus ST or the Hyundai Veloster R-Spec. Any or either of those 3 cars would soothe my automotive desire. Just one car. One car is all I need, if of course it's the right car. One of those 2 Ford 6-speeds or the Hyundai Veloster R-Spec 6-speed would take care of me fully completely.

Last edited by elkotronics; 06-06-2020 at 11:00 PM..

Old 06-07-2020, 12:59 AM

1,977 posts, read 6,864,775 times
A modded Focus ST, I will pass. I had a regular Focus 5 speed before the Veloster and it was not holding up well. I am sure the ST is better built, but the dealer is not going to tell you who and when the modification happened. Or at least you can't trust them. Most people who do that stuff, drive the car hard, track hard.

If you want to buy an ST, buy it from the owner.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:06 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,084,852 times
Did not find the Veloster easy to enter and exit. Also had poor visibility IMO. Liked the manual tranny a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive