Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
HUH?

How is this?

Novas came with big blocks between 1968 and 1970. Camaros had them from 1967 thru 1972. How can you not drop one in without not doing much of anything to the car???? Seriously it's no different than dropping a big block in to a 70 Impala.

Please explain, you're not making much sense.
im not saying it cant be done or wasnt ever done or wasnt sold.

im talking about the bigger engine bays in those vehicles and the frames the vehicles come with. my understanding(ive never had to do it myself), you didnt need to do any/much extra work on the frame to drop in and mount a big block if the vehicle(chevelle and related) originally came with a small block. and this was not the case with smaller framed vehicles like the camaro and nova, which needed some work if the vehicle did not originally come with a BB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 04:51 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Snapped this on the ride in this morning. Kinda neat to see 2 different renditions of the muscle car. The old Camaro was done up in my dreaded "Year-One" style, the Charger was a stock SRT-8 (425 hp). Wouldve loved to see them race, but traffic was too heavy and with a 30mph speed limit, they wouldnt have gotten far anyways.

What do you prefer?
For a second I thought the car on the right was a new Mustang.

That's a tough choice, but I'll take the Camaro.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:07 PM

354 posts, read 2,076,030 times
The thing I hate the most about older cars is that some of them stink including mines. Driving behind one makes me draw up my windows switch my air to circulate the air inside the car instead of fresh air. Impatiently waiting for them to turn off or hoping to get a chance to pass. When I do start up my oldschool I push the car outside so that the rear end is out the garage to keep the exhaust fumes from smelling up the whole house. I'm thinking about going to Lowes to get some tubing to hook up to my tailpipes leading outside to save my effort of pushing my car before I start it up. Other than that the Benifit of old schools muscle is that it easier an cheaper to put together.The most important is the workmanship and chrome work done on the engines. This new muscle isn't worth raising the hood. I found this to be rediculous is when the dealers raise the hood up on new muscle or any new acr for that matter.The only thing you looking at is a cast molded engine cover.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,477,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Thanks. It was a crappy point-and-shoot effort, but hey! Whats not shown in the picture was a AMG S55 that was next to me, a GMC Typhoon that was in front of him, and a Honda CBR600RR that was in front of me. Had there been a stretch of open road, that woulda been a HELL of a race to witness! Imagine all those going at it at the same time?
You would all be calling your bosses for bail money.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:16 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
im not saying it cant be done or wasnt ever done or wasnt sold.

im talking about the bigger engine bays in those vehicles and the frames the vehicles come with. my understanding(ive never had to do it myself), you didnt need to do any/much extra work on the frame to drop in and mount a big block if the vehicle(chevelle and related) originally came with a small block. and this was not the case with smaller framed vehicles like the camaro and nova, which needed some work if the vehicle did not originally come with a BB.
It's not a daunting task to put a big block into an older Camaro or Nova anymore than it is to put one into a Chevelle. In fact, that's one of the reasons the Nova was redesigned in 1968...to accomodate the 396 engine.

Now on the 1962-1967 Novas, yes they're a bit of a challenge to put a big block into, as engine bay mods are typically required on the shock towers.

But putting a big block into a 1968-1979 Nova or a 1967-1981 Camaro is pretty straight forward....you need the motor mounts, a 4 core radiator, heavy duty coil springs and the exhaust manifolds (or headers). That's it. No other mods are required. You can even run a small block trans on the big block if you wanted to. The frames were designed to accept both big blocks and small blocks. The general did it all for you back in 1967.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:54 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliedrefuseworker View Post
The thing I hate the most about older cars is that some of them stink including mines. Driving behind one makes me draw up my windows switch my air to circulate the air inside the car instead of fresh air. Impatiently waiting for them to turn off or hoping to get a chance to pass. When I do start up my oldschool I push the car outside so that the rear end is out the garage to keep the exhaust fumes from smelling up the whole house. I'm thinking about going to Lowes to get some tubing to hook up to my tailpipes leading outside to save my effort of pushing my car before I start it up. Other than that the Benifit of old schools muscle is that it easier an cheaper to put together.The most important is the workmanship and chrome work done on the engines. This new muscle isn't worth raising the hood. I found this to be rediculous is when the dealers raise the hood up on new muscle or any new acr for that matter.The only thing you looking at is a cast molded engine cover.
I found a trick that worked well on my alcohol burning race car. I put a heat/AC vent into my garage, no return air. Any time I run the race car, or for that matter when we painted it, I turn the fan on on my furnace and crack the overhead door. The positive pressure keeps smells out of the house and my wife's very sensitive nose.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:11 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
You would all be calling your bosses for bail money.
LOL

Yeah, pretty much!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:31 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,805 times
Quote:

go to your local garage and ask them where they get their exhaust hoses from. i have worked in a few shops and thats what we used . a rubber hoses through a hole in the over head door.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Here in the Phx area they check emissions as far back as 1967-----which, IMHO, is a bit extreme.

I can see 30 years from the current model year back.

As for my 1967 Rambler American; it blew stupid clean on smog (232 Six with points)-----almost as if it had a catalyst:

150 PPM HC-------limit 400 HC
0.1% CO----------limit 4% CO

Old 04-20-2008, 02:00 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
I agree 1967 is silly, I don't think even Cali smog laws go back that far. Guess if I ever moved to AZ I'd have to get a 1966 or newer if I wanted to build a hot rod?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive