Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If I had to guess from the picture... you were eastbound on 64 through St. Charles... right at about 4th Street, just about to pass Lincoln Park.
Youre good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times
great question, Steve-o, i'm glad you asked. and now, for my diatribe. it really all depends on what you have time for. the great thing about a late-model muscle car (the Ford Mustang being the only one available since 2002) is that they are new - you dont have to restore them. when i say the Mustang has been the only muscle car available since the deat of the Camaro/Firebird, it is because i refuse to recognize cars like the Charger: a 4000 pound luxery sedan with a small block hemi, the GTO: a 4000 pound Chevy Cavalier with an LS1 and a badge slapped on bearing the namesake of the original muscle car. i also do not recognize any other late model GM sedan with an LSX style motor and given new names or SS badges.

now, having said that, i do recognize LT1 and LS1 Camaros/Firebirds as excellent examples of late model muscle cars - still probably the best bang for your buck if you want a fast, late model muscle car. Fox body mustangs are also low cost, high yield. third generation F bodies (late 80s model Camaros and Firebirds) are even awesome, if done properly and are way under appreciated.

when it comes to the older muscle cars, the fact of the matter is that Chevy has never made a camaro that looks as good as the 1969. there will probably never be a charger that looks as good as, well, the 1969 model. and if you have the time and money or skills to do a good restoration, and with modern parts, on an old classic, you are gonna have a killer street machine and turn a lot of heads. i will admit however, that sometimes when i'm working on my 67 Firebird or towing my 1972 Nova to storage, the thought of magically trading it all for a new Mustang Cobra and an '09 Camaro has crossed my mind. but then, if i had a ton of money i would probably have my old muscle cars restored by now, and have the late model cars sittin in the garage as well.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:29 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
Attachment 18124

Attachment 18125

Hows this for american muscle. very cool
Very nice. I'll take that over a new one any day.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:33 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
A good example to show how much better the '68-'70 Chargers looked (a 1970 in this photo):
And after 39 years in Florida weather:

Old 04-17-2008, 09:00 AM

86 posts, read 303,013 times
Had the opportunity to ride in the new challenger (SRT8). It was a sweet ride. I was impressed with the interior, it is similar to the 70 Cuda. Chrysler did a good job with this one.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 PM

354 posts, read 2,076,288 times
I'm a fan and owner of both the old and new muscle or should I say sports sedans. A 06 charger RT and a 72 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 425hp 383 stroker with pulleys, ceramic header,electric fan, 750 duel pumper holly carb, electric fuel pump and distributer,400 trans, 373 gear on the rear end with an eden possi spool, hotchkis supspension and 18'' two piece billet rims for shoes just a bit of history.The older muscle has a better classic bodystyling over the modern bodystyles. A style after decades your never get tired of seeing. The new muscle (sports sedans) in exception of Mustangs, Vettes, etc offer better technology in engines such as gas milage, fuel injection, programmable engines and trans. Also less mainteneace and more reliability. I to think of parting from my 72 but couln't get the money for what I put in it. I wish I've chosen to rebuild a 69 Camaro, charger or maybe an 67 Malibu SS instead of my MC. I think my next car will be an 94 thru 96 Chevy Impala if I go american after my wife lease maxima goes back this year.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:47 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,766,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliedrefuseworker View Post
I'm a fan and owner of both the old and new muscle or should I say sports sedans. A 06 charger RT and a 72 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 425hp 383 stroker with pulleys, ceramic header,electric fan, 750 duel pumper holly carb, electric fuel pump and distributer,400 trans, 373 gear on the rear end with an eden possi spool, hotchkis supspension and 18'' two piece billet rims for shoes just a bit of history.The older muscle has a better classic bodystyling over the modern bodystyles. A style after decades your never get tired of seeing. The new muscle (sports sedans) in exception of Mustangs, Vettes, etc offer better technology in engines such as gas milage, fuel injection, programmable engines and trans. Also less mainteneace and more reliability. I to think of parting from my 72 but couln't get the money for what I put in it. I wish I've chosen to rebuild a 69 Camaro, charger or maybe an 67 Malibu SS instead of my MC. I think my next car will be an 94 thru 96 Chevy Impala if I go american after my wife lease maxima goes back this year.
the benefit of the bigger chevy cars back then(monte carlo, chevelle, etc) was the ability to drop in a big block without doing much of anything to the car. you cant do that to a camaro, you cant do it to a nova, you cant do it to some of the vettes.

the vehicles look more like cruisers rather than hotrods, but that helps classify your car as a sedan rather than a sports car. less insurance, possibly less registration, and less notice from police officers.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:20 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
And after 39 years in Florida weather:

Fortunately where I live, many more look like the one in my photo than in your photo.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:53 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
the benefit of the bigger chevy cars back then(monte carlo, chevelle, etc) was the ability to drop in a big block without doing much of anything to the car. you cant do that to a camaro, you cant do it to a nova, you cant do it to some of the vettes.
HUH?

How is this?

Novas came with big blocks between 1968 and 1970. Camaros had them from 1967 thru 1972. How can you not drop one in without not doing much of anything to the car???? Seriously it's no different than dropping a big block in to a 70 Impala.

Please explain, you're not making much sense.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 PM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
502 crate motor in a Firebird.

Classic Muscle Cars - Hot Rods, Street Rods, & Drag Cars - Popular Hot Rodding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive