Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 08:32 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,602,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanep73 View Post
The wrenches don't cost much and a roll of 25' brake line from autozone is only like $30 and tube bender tool about $15 to $25 and they have conectors so you dont have to worry about all that double flar and such so I say DIY not only do you learn more about your car but you save a lot of money and don't get ripped off. Youtube has a video for EVERYTHING.
How do you avoid the need for a double-flare tool?

Don in Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 09:53 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,943,705 times
One thing that most do not understand is the number of parts and function in the Brake system.
One small part fails...you are DOL.

So you ask the shop to replace that one small part.
Week later brakes FAIL...guess who is to blame since he was the last person working on the brakes.
NO shop wants to be the FALL guy even tho customer authorizes limited repair.
Laws are very STRICT when it comes down to Repairs and Liability.
Remember a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:59 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,181,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
How do you avoid the need for a double-flare tool?

Don in Austin
Install pre formed one piece brake lines.

You need to use the double flares to conain the pressure of brake fluid. It's not safe otherwise

Old 12-29-2017, 04:02 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,602,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Install pre formed one piece brake lines.

You need to use the double flares to conain the pressure of brake fluid. It's not safe otherwise
That is fine if the brake line happens to be the right length. By "pre-formed" you mean with fittings and flares, surely not already custom bent.

Don in Austin

Old 12-29-2017, 08:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Still are you going to lay on your back and R&R your brake lines with your arms extended into the air and then having to pull all 4 wheels to connect to each caliper or rear wheel cylinder hoping not to cross thread any fittings. And then bleed the entire system. I would let the pros do it on a lift that can have better acess to the lines and have all the proper tools. I have seen many weekend mechanics try to fix their car but end up doing more damage than they started out with, you tube can just show you so much.
There are mechanical jobs that are beyond a guy at home with a tool box. There are mechanical jobs beyond regular mechanics. I happen to be one of those other guys who can do 95% of my own work. About the only thing i can’t do is a transmission rebuild. I’ve rebuilt engines, axles, differentials, interiors electronics all because of necessity and disgust with the typical mechanic end repair quality was not to my standards. And thattrahsmission rebuild I can’t do simply because I don’t have some specialty tools. But I can follow a rebuild manual. Oh and my vehicle lift is getting installed in a month or so. Like I said I’m serious about doing my own vehicle work.
I’m going to rebuild the front end on both my diesel trucks. The labor alone on that job pays for over 1/2 the cost of that lift.

Doing the brake lines isn’t rocket science. Yeah working on the ground is uncomfortable and can be a pita. But it’s doable.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:30 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,206,267 times
Yes, this type of job is not complicated at all. It can be a pain because you may get dirt and grit dropping down and also have to deal with some rust. I put it in the same type of work category as dropping a gas tank. Dirty job with rusted fittings. No real technical challenge involved.

Old 12-30-2017, 08:33 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,181,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
That is fine if the brake line happens to be the right length. By "pre-formed" you mean with fittings and flares, surely not already custom bent.

Don in Austin
You can buy them pre bent for some vehicles, Ys.

You won't find them exactly right otherwise but you can get them close and bend them around, and use unions to tie together te short ones.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 835 times
I own a repair shop. Yes, that estimate is high. There are a couple of things I would recommend. Brake lines should never be done without experience. It does require a double flare to prevent line from popping. Plus it can be dangerous is brakes aren't bleed properly. You want to make sure they aren't trying to put on cheap steel lines. They don't last. Break line I would suggest is NiCopp (nickel/copper) or Poly Armour. Those lines are only about 40 bucks a roll. These lines usually last the duration of the life of the car. If its a plow truck I only use NiCopp. I will say that on average I have replaced all the lines for about 700 for a truck... parts, labor and fluid. It can run more depending of rust and if there is more than just lines needing replacing. Also depending on vehicle, lines can be a real nightmare to re-run through frame. You didn't post the details of the estimate so I can't look up the actual labor for you. I'd makes some calls and give them the details of your estimate EXCEPT the cost. Talk to people, and ask them who they have do their work. There are still solid repair shops out there that do good work. Good luck!

Old 12-20-2018, 03:09 AM

1 posts, read 773 times
I have my car in a shop right now n they are trying to charge me 657 so far n he told me that would include changing 3 rusted lines in the front n 2 down below ..now when they did the 2 under they said that the 3 upfront busted n that it was going to cost me more , mind you they already said it was included .... I went in n they did nothing to the front n did not replace the whole 2 bottom lines they only spliced it ! Something just don’t seem right

Old 12-22-2018, 06:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,587,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfmg View Post
I have my car in a shop right now n they are trying to charge me 657 so far n he told me that would include changing 3 rusted lines in the front n 2 down below ..now when they did the 2 under they said that the 3 upfront busted n that it was going to cost me more , mind you they already said it was included .... I went in n they did nothing to the front n did not replace the whole 2 bottom lines they only spliced it ! Something just don’t seem right

I replaced very few brake lines in my time simply because they don’t rust out as much out here. But whenever I replaced a hard line it was replaced with a factory prebent flared with fittings replacement piece.
I don’t know if it’s illegal to splice a brake line but I would rather have the line replaced completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive