Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 03:05 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,323,315 times

Advertisements

I had this happened on 2 of my cars the same year. The first car was a 96 Pontiac Grand Prix and the brake line failed above the rear transverse leaf spring. I had just had a garage put new tires on it and when I asked them , how much? I got a long explanation of state law that was in his which he said that he is required to replace all lines and brake components or not repair it at all. He gave me an estimate of $1500. I waited till 4 in morning and then drove it the 35 miles home, it had little to zero braking and the only way to get it stopped was with the emergency brake.

I replaced all the rusty lines at home and recharged the system. The total cost was about $100 and took 1 day.

That summer my 2000 Bravada had a line rust through and was leaking all over the driveway. This was a much tougher job. I had to remove the gas tank to get to the lines and to make it even worse the lines were on the top of the frame and between the body. All the bolts were rusted and just snapped off. I had to replace the entire line from the brake fluid reservoir to the rear brakes. It took me a week and about $200 dollars in parts cost.

If the OP's car has as much work to do has my Bravda then the price is reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 04:03 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,393,678 times
Default Firestone,

I did not know they were so expensive. Pep Boys can over inflate estimates I have found also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
That explains it all...!

Take it to a good IGO, Independent Garage Owner and wait, even it it takes a few days for them to get you in. Don't let your parents leave until it's fixed correctly.
If you don't really care much for your parents, go the cheap route, but don't let Firestone or any other chain store touch it....!!
They charge to much, jack up charges with unnecessary parts which they get a commission for selling to the unaware, and most quality techs wouldn't work in one of those stores...
...and No, your regular guy can't give a ball park over the phone unless he is clairvoyant, take it in for an inspection, and leave it there until it's repaired. Faulty brakes are similar to a loaded guy in a child's hand.
Keep us posted.....

Old 07-18-2015, 04:38 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,982 times
I would leave replaceing brake lines to the experts, they have to know how to do a double flare and have the right brake line wrenches, it's you like we're talking about.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:50 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,653,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
2005 Buick LeSabre, approx 100K miles. Car has been driven exclusively in Wisconsin (long winters, lots of salt on roads)

The brakes were not working well, brake light came on. I took it into the shop. I was told that the rear brake line had "popped" and was extremely rusted (I could see this) and it was likely that the front was in danger of doing so soon, as it was also extremely rusted. Estimate for repair as follows:

$250 for parts
$750 for labor to replace rear line
$1092 for labor to replace front line
$20 brake fluid
$60 brake fluid exchange labor

Plus tax. They said that it would likely take 2-3 days to do the repair as well.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you in advance for any knowledge/experience/opinions you can share.

If the brake line nuts are corroded/rusted badly enough, it might save you sufficient labor time to change the wheel cylinders which the brake lines are attached to. Plus it's a good idea to change them, because they will probably start to seep/leak soon.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...wheel+cylinder

Ask the shop Manager what their hourly labor rate is. If it's about $100 per hour, a good mechanic should be able to do this job in 6-8 hours, at the most...IMHO.

It surely shouldn't take 19 hours, what they gave you an estimate on......= $1900

Old 07-18-2015, 04:55 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
you got shafted.

Last edited by Gunluvver2; 07-18-2015 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: bad math

Old 07-18-2015, 05:14 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,179,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
If the brake line nuts are corroded/rusted badly enough, it might save you sufficient labor time to change the wheel cylinders which the brake lines are attached to. Plus it's a good idea to change them, because they will probably start to seep/leak soon.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...wheel+cylinder

Ask the shop Manager what their hourly labor rate is. If it's about $100 per hour, a good mechanic should be able to do this job in 6-8 hours, at the most...IMHO.

It surely shouldn't take 19 hours, what they gave you an estimate on......= $1900
And another thought-if the lines are that rusty the bleeder screws will probably break off and you'll have to replace calipers and wheel cylinders anyway. So factor that in.

It's one of those repairs that lands cars in the junkyard as it can get expensive and time consuming.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:37 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,380,477 times
If you act like a consumer, repair shops will treat you like a consumer.
They see this coming a mile away: you're concerned about doing the job "right". It's your parents car. And you're a female.
Rip off, yes, but they actually probably think they're taking care of your and the cars safety.
Ironic, but still a rip.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
I would leave replaceing brake lines to the experts, they have to know how to do a double flare and have the right brake line wrenches, it's you like we're talking about.

Or you can buy the factory prebent and flared lines from dealer or aftermarket. I know they sell them.

If you know how to bend and flare lines just remove the old and copy it. If you have a good bender and flare tool and know how to do it it's doable.

I believe all hydraulic brake systems today have separate reservoirs for front and rear brakes. So you have some braking however diminished.

Hydroboost is different.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:13 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
OP...It sounds like it's a PITA job for the shop that doesn't really want to do it, but if the price is right up there and you'll pay it, then we'll do it.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
That would be outrageous high in my area ;quite simply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive