Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 10:46 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Or you can buy the factory prebent and flared lines from dealer or aftermarket. I know they sell them.

If you know how to bend and flare lines just remove the old and copy it. If you have a good bender and flare tool and know how to do it it's doable.

I believe all hydraulic brake systems today have separate reservoirs for front and rear brakes. So you have some braking however diminished.

Hydroboost is different.
Still are you going to lay on your back and R&R your brake lines with your arms extended into the air and then having to pull all 4 wheels to connect to each caliper or rear wheel cylinder hoping not to cross thread any fittings. And then bleed the entire system. I would let the pros do it on a lift that can have better acess to the lines and have all the proper tools. I have seen many weekend mechanics try to fix their car but end up doing more damage than they started out with, you tube can just show you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:40 AM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,963 times
Quote:
Or you can buy the factory prebent and flared lines from dealer or aftermarket. I know they sell them.
HA!! Good luck with that!

Quote:
If you know how to bend and flare lines just remove the old and copy it. If you have a good bender and flare tool and know how to do it it's doable.

I believe all hydraulic brake systems today have separate reservoirs for front and rear brakes. So you have some braking however diminished.

Hydroboost is different.
Please explain the difference.

Don in Austin

Old 07-19-2015, 06:53 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,399,515 times
i had an estimate of $1800 to re-flare a brake line at a leading shop. they claim they had to replace all the brake components before they could re-flare the line. something about state law and liability of unsafe vehicle

Old 07-19-2015, 07:45 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,179,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i had an estimate of $1800 to re-flare a brake line at a leading shop. they claim they had to replace all the brake components before they could re-flare the line. something about state law and liability of unsafe vehicle
That seems to be the new saying among shops. Ask them to quote you the actual statute before accepting it as truth.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:10 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,770,613 times
OP, I had to have ALL the brake lines replaced on my truck. A thousand dollars. But they will be good for another ten years.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:48 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,969 times
On Friday I had told Firestone to do it, but they weren't going to start work until Monday. After talking to some local people in my community, I am thinking I will get the car back and take it to my regular shop first thing in the morning, and maybe one other recommended shop, to get additional estimates. I believe that we are talking about replacing all the lines, as a few posters mentioned.

The job needs to be done by next week Tuesday a.m. (the 28th) at the latest as that's when my family is planning to take it back to Wisconsin, so I think I have a little more time to decide where it should go.

I am definitely not a weekend mechanic (or any kind of mechanic) who would attempt any of this on my own. My husband is a smart guy and very DIY with house projects, but not as experienced with autos, but he happens to be having some major health issues right now (which is why my parents came down to take my kids for 2 weeks in the first place - get them out of the house for us) and so his involvement isn't an option anyway.

I really appreciate all the feedback from anyone.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:13 PM

936 posts, read 2,203,444 times
We had a Honda Civic that needed new lines and was quoted $1,200 for the job. I even thought the $1,200 seemed high. I can't remember all the details now, but a local place did a partial job for around $800. I vaguely recall that they spliced in some lines rather than replacing 100% of the lines.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:59 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,643,629 times
Move to California, never heard of brake lines rusting out...!!

Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 PM

936 posts, read 2,203,444 times
I here ya. We had our parking line replaced at the same time as the brake lines.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:32 PM

2,160 posts, read 3,597,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
On Friday I had told Firestone to do it, but they weren't going to start work until Monday. After talking to some local people in my community, I am thinking I will get the car back and take it to my regular shop first thing in the morning, and maybe one other recommended shop, to get additional estimates.
I sure hope you don't consider the car safe to drive on public streets in this condition! You ARE having it towed, I hope. TRUE STORY! I once warned a lady about driving a car with little or no brake pedal and she said it wasn't that far, she thought she could make it. I saw flashing lights outside and she had rolled into the back of a cop car!

Don in Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I believe that we are talking about replacing all the lines, as a few posters mentioned.

The job needs to be done by next week Tuesday a.m. (the 28th) at the latest as that's when my family is planning to take it back to Wisconsin, so I think I have a little more time to decide where it should go.

I am definitely not a weekend mechanic (or any kind of mechanic) who would attempt any of this on my own. My husband is a smart guy and very DIY with house projects, but not as experienced with autos, but he happens to be having some major health issues right now (which is why my parents came down to take my kids for 2 weeks in the first place - get them out of the house for us) and so his involvement isn't an option anyway.

I really appreciate all the feedback from anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive