Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:48 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,202 times

Advertisements

I have a Audi A6 Avant that just had brake pads and rotors changed all around but brake pad light indication still on. Are there any genius out there can educate me on how to shut the warning light of ?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 04:53 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
What shop did the work? The factory pads generally have a wire sensor that breaks when the pads wear down to about a nub.

If you went to one of the national chain brake "quicky" joints, par for the course, they probably put in bogus brake pads.

If you got bogus pads the only "real" fix is to replace them with OEM type pads.

If the pads have the wires they just didn't get hooked up right and/or didn't clean the connections well enough.

I'm going on how the BMW system works, most of the time all the German mfg's do things similar - I could be wrong about the Audi though.

You should at least check with the shop that did the brakes.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
What shop did the work? The factory pads generally have a wire sensor that breaks when the pads wear down to about a nub.

If you went to one of the national chain brake "quicky" joints, par for the course, they probably put in bogus brake pads.

If you got bogus pads the only "real" fix is to replace them with OEM type pads.

If the pads have the wires they just didn't get hooked up right and/or didn't clean the connections well enough.

I'm going on how the BMW system works, most of the time all the German mfg's do things similar - I could be wrong about the Audi though.

You should at least check with the shop that did the brakes.
Thank you very much M3 Mitch.
I went to a small shop and i am now 100% sure that they didn't get OEM pads. However, the pad they put on does come with some sort of wires or sensor connector whichever we call it. So i guess i should clean both ends and see what will happen.
Does the OBD code scanner can overwrite (clear) the light ? I am just curious.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:15 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,903,642 times
Most likely the warning light can only be reset by an Audi dealer. Welcome to German engineering.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:37 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
Thank you very much M3 Mitch.
I went to a small shop and i am now 100% sure that they didn't get OEM pads. However, the pad they put on does come with some sort of wires or sensor connector whichever we call it. So i guess i should clean both ends and see what will happen.
Does the OBD code scanner can overwrite (clear) the light ? I am just curious.
Not positive. I know on 1980s BMW cars the system is pretty simple, you have one sensor pad on the front and one on the rear, with either of the circuits broken (or are they in series so either wire breaks the only circuit there is - I forget) the light is ON. Restoring the continuity of the circuit turns the light off.

I wouldn't see any advantage in hooking this up to the OBD-II system, but just because something would be more complex with little or no benefit does not seem to deter the Germans from doing it that way...

Any decent shop manual should tell how to reset the light.

The shop owes you an explanation anyway.

The pads do not need to be OEM from AUDI to be good, any decent small shop would put in Ate or similar, which are OEM suppliers, and are essentially the same as pads from the dealer.

Talk to the shop owner/chief wrench, if they are any good they will make this right.

It's not a particularly good sign of craftsmanship that they returned the car to you with the warning light still lit.

If they had said up front that they could not clear the light but could replace the pads for less than the dealer, then you could (go to the dealer, whatever) to get the light turned off, that would have been the thing to do...

Old 12-07-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Most likely the warning light can only be reset by an Audi dealer. Welcome to German engineering.
I called Audi but they didn't say anything about reset the warning light. They explained just like Mitch said in his first rely is that changing new brake pads with automaticly clear the light.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not positive. I know on 1980s BMW cars the system is pretty simple, you have one sensor pad on the front and one on the rear, with either of the circuits broken (or are they in series so either wire breaks the only circuit there is - I forget) the light is ON. Restoring the continuity of the circuit turns the light off.

I wouldn't see any advantage in hooking this up to the OBD-II system, but just because something would be more complex with little or no benefit does not seem to deter the Germans from doing it that way...

Any decent shop manual should tell how to reset the light.

The shop owes you an explanation anyway.

The pads do not need to be OEM from AUDI to be good, any decent small shop would put in Ate or similar, which are OEM suppliers, and are essentially the same as pads from the dealer.

Talk to the shop owner/chief wrench, if they are any good they will make this right.

It's not a particularly good sign of craftsmanship that they returned the car to you with the warning light still lit.

If they had said up front that they could not clear the light but could replace the pads for less than the dealer, then you could (go to the dealer, whatever) to get the light turned off, that would have been the thing to do...
It's a small Mexican owned shop here in Hillsboro, Oregon. After doing all the works with the warning light still on they then suggest me to let them uninstall the instrument panel to rewire so it can by pass the warning light and quote $140 for the job. Not only that they also suggested to change the timing belt which will cost additional $800. I said to myself oops it was a mistake to bring the car here. I really don't think these people are stupid when it comes to troubleshooting but they might be. I asked them what make they think to come up with the suggestion of rewire what in the back of instrument panel ? Guess what they answered ? They google it....
I also knew the car had timing belt changed approximately 30K miles ago so that is another catch from me. I then left the place with a smile on my face

Old 12-08-2009, 12:57 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
That is just plain ridiculous. "Got a warming light on? If you pay us, we'll go ahead and remove the bulb!"

Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
That is just plain ridiculous. "Got a warming light on? If you pay us, we'll go ahead and remove the bulb!"
You have to wonder how these places are still in business...

Old 12-08-2009, 10:43 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
I have a Audi A6 Avant that just had brake pads and rotors changed all around but brake pad light indication still on. Are there any genius out there can educate me on how to shut the warning light of ?
Thank you
Definitely no Audi expert here, Discovery . . .

However, I bet there's a simple "reset" built into the system as there is with my SSR. Have you considered contacting an Audi Dealer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive