Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:54 AM

494 posts, read 1,917,171 times

Advertisements

So here is the deal, I went to Firestone and got new front brake pads and rotors just about 4 months ago. So today I went to another small shop to have a brake fluid change and they told me that it is suspect that the rotors were changed the last time...his claim is that rust had developed on the outer collar of the rotor and it seemed like the rear of the rotor had been sanded which he claimed is not done for new rotors. He showed me the rust and it seemed like it was true, there was a light coat of rust on it.

I called up the original place and they insisted that they had replaced it and to bring it in tomorrow to inspect it. They say rust developing is normal on all rotors. I inspected other cars and they did have rust on the rotor collars as well but I am guessing that is after a few years not a few months.

I am a little skeptical about rust developing on a 4 month old rotor. When I took delivery of the vehicle after they had changed the rotors they seemed brand new and I specifically checked the collar - it was shiny new. I also felt the thickness of the rotor and it felt thicker than the old ones I had.

My question - is it normal for rust to be developing on brand new rotors? BTW, I use my truck every day and the mileage is just under 92000.

Note: The rust is ONLY on the collar part, there is no problem with the disc itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
"is it normal for rust to be developing on brand new rotors?"
Yes, rust can form on them rather quickly.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Rust on the outside part of a rotor is normal. Depending on the area you are in, some rust develops faster than others.

Based on what you post, I question both shops.

1. Why didn't the first shop do a brake fluid change when they did the brakes and rotors? Did they ask you if you wanted it done?
2. Is the 2nd shop trying to sell you rotors?

With that said, not all rotors are equal. You probably did get new rotors but maybe the cheaper ones.

As the above poster stated, rust can form quickly. Wash your car wheels and don't drive your car for a week. You will see rust spots on the rotor surface.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM

thanks guys for the quick responses

sj, the first shop did say I need to do a brake fluid replacement but unfortunately it would take an additional 45 minutes, I was running super late that day so just could not get it done. I didn't return to the 1st shop again since it was closer to my girlfriend's place and a bit further from me.

The 2nd shop was the one I had visited in the past so I guess they were a bit bummed I didn't come to them for the rotors...they also say they would've just sanded the rotors but the first shop told me that the rotors had to be changed because they were below spec. Since there were 88000 miles on the OEMs I figured I would change them anyway since the truck has 2 wheel discs so those rotors work pretty hard.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:15 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,086,495 times
Its not abnormal and has little to do with rotor age. My brand new car had a coating of rust on its rotors every morning when I lived in a foggy area. The first application of brakes typically wipes it clean.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
I'd stay away from the 2nd shop.
1. You don't sand rotors.
They get turned on a lathe to resurface them.

2. Most rotors these days are made to be replaced and not turned.
They are not thick enough to have materiel removed in the turning process and still meet the minimum thickness requirements.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:21 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,370,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
So here is the deal, I went to Firestone and got new front brake pads and rotors just about 4 months ago. So today I went to another small shop to have a brake fluid change and they told me that it is suspect that the rotors were changed the last time...his claim is that rust had developed on the outer collar of the rotor and it seemed like the rear of the rotor had been sanded which he claimed is not done for new rotors. He showed me the rust and it seemed like it was true, there was a light coat of rust on it.

I called up the original place and they insisted that they had replaced it and to bring it in tomorrow to inspect it. They say rust developing is normal on all rotors. I inspected other cars and they did have rust on the rotor collars as well but I am guessing that is after a few years not a few months.

I am a little skeptical about rust developing on a 4 month old rotor. When I took delivery of the vehicle after they had changed the rotors they seemed brand new and I specifically checked the collar - it was shiny new. I also felt the thickness of the rotor and it felt thicker than the old ones I had.

My question - is it normal for rust to be developing on brand new rotors? BTW, I use my truck every day and the mileage is just under 92000.

Note: The rust is ONLY on the collar part, there is no problem with the disc itself.
The first problem is Firestone. Nuff said.

The rust on the non-contact part of rotors is par for the course. Where the pads make contact will be shiny, the rest will have rust. End of story.

The real question is this: Are your brakes functioning properly?

Old 08-16-2012, 11:34 AM

Big George, brakes are working perfect. I did a steering test at speed and also at slow speed, steering does not flinch whatsoever either without brakes or when applying brakes whereas before the new pads/rotors the steering would shake a lot when applying brakes.

Thanks for all the feedback, I was actually ticked off, I was going to go to the 1st shop and give them some grief about potentially duping me, glad I checked here first.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
rotors and collars are normally not protected or coated. So, yes, rust will show sometimes as soon as a day or two. Ant like others pointed out, a business that would tell you diff is not very reputable or knowledgeable of their product.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
I've had rust develop on mine just from sitting a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive