Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,014,279 times

Advertisements

I own a 2004 volkswagen passat 1.8T 2wd.

I just replaced my front and rear brake pads and rotors.

The brake pads are OEM and all the rotors are aftermarket. I bought the aftermarket rotors from one of my co -workers for a cheap price.

The problem I'm facing is that everytime I drive the vehicle there is a very loud scaping noise coming from my brakes. The vehicle makes the scraping noise even when I'm not braking.

The car brakes better then ever. It comes to a dead stop immediately and smoothly. No vibration no pulsation but it still has the scraping noise.

I think he gave me the wrong rotors. The reason I say this is for one there aftermarket. 2 He wasn't sure about which rotors to give me at the time of purchase and 3 I ensure all the bolts were tight and the rotor still had a little play.

Advice please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
There seem to be different rotors for that year & model of car, depending on several factors. However, having the wrong rotors would likely mean the brakes not working at all.

Can you identify which wheel the noise is coming from? Or is it more than one?

Is it possible (though not likely) that you have semi-metallic brake pads, and you're hearing the slight squeak typical of them?

It does not sound like it's a caliper problem.

Basically, I think you're going to have to remove your wheels (or just one, if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from). If you have constant "grinding" you should be able to see evidence of it somewhere.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
There seem to be different rotors for that year & model of car, depending on several factors. However, having the wrong rotors would likely mean the brakes not working at all.

Can you identify which wheel the noise is coming from? Or is it more than one?

Is it possible (though not likely) that you have semi-metallic brake pads, and you're hearing the slight squeak typical of them?

It does not sound like it's a caliper problem.

Basically, I think you're going to have to remove your wheels (or just one, if you can narrow down where the noise is coming from). If you have constant "grinding" you should be able to see evidence of it somewhere.
Lol nevermind. Mods can you delete this thread?

Turns out it was 2 noises. The 1st suddle one was from the rotors braking in the 2nd one was from the brake shield rubbing against the rotor.

Thanks for the input though I still repped you.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:09 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,753,371 times
Usually raising the wheel and spinning it by hand will help to determine where the noise is coming from if things are rubbing while in motion.

Glad you found the problem.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Usually raising the wheel and spinning it by hand will help to determine where the noise is coming from if things are rubbing while in motion.

Glad you found the problem.
Thanks for the advice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive