Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:26 AM

458 posts, read 657,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I just received a ticket for a turn signal violation, which I'm guilty of. It's a $97 fine, which I would pay but I just checked the ticket and the officer wrote down my violation twice so it's a $194 fine.

I think this is AWESOME and only wish I would see this hapen more!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, explain why you weren't using your turn signals...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
I remember being told in traffic school that if there's nobody to signal, there's no need to signal.
One of the most ridiculousl things I've ever heard.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
Where I live, a medium city in Texas,, nobody uses signals to change lanes. The main drag through town is three lanes each way, and people just change lanes when they need to, checking to make sure the way is clear. I often ride the bus, and the bus drivers don't even signal lane changes.

Before I moved here from Michigan, a similar sized town had a similar drive through the city with three lanes each way, and nobody signalled lane changes there, either. A blinking flasher, in the real world, means you're going to turn, and if it were used more than that, everybody's lights would be flashing all the time.

I'm going to guess that the OP didn't just do a smooth routine lane change in light traffic, but suddenly changed, causing some other driver to react, and that caught the cop's attention. Police will almost always ticket a driver for something, if they see a move that other drivers have to suddenly react to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post

I remember being told in traffic school that if there's nobody to signal, there's no need to signal.
What would you call a cop that sat by a road at 3 am, where there are only about two cars an hour, and wrote a $97 ticket on people for not signaling a lane change? Where do you draw the line between dick-cop and 'protect and serve'? I';ve noticed that police cars don't have 'protect ans serve' on the side anymore. Bad enough the police becoming the public enemy, without being the laughing stock, too.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-22-2013 at 11:01 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A blinking flasher, in the real world, means you're going to turn, and if it were used more than that, everybody's lights would be flashing all the time.
Are you validating the epidemic non use of turning signals?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM

892 posts, read 1,502,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
It's funny you mention TN! We were looking to move there and were shocked at how many people STOPPED on the on ramp or just after it while trying to get on a highway. Is merging really that hard a concept?

This is the way it used to be taught in driver's ed years ago, though it was largely due to the way highways were constructed and the considerably lower speeds on the highways - as in before it was common place to do 80mph. There are still some older roads/entrace ramps out there that still have stop signs at the end of the ramps -

Granted, these obviously aren't the super speedways of many highways these days, but many people will still drive the same way on to them.

Incidents like these are why I wish there were mandatory refresher courses to maintain a driver's license every few years.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Incidents like these are why I wish there were mandatory refresher courses to maintain a driver's license every few years.
I agree, and nevermind just senior drivers, EVERYONE should be subjected to this.

I live in Pittsburgh, and thought this nonsense only happened here. People here make simple driving maneuvers like merging so painful.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,250,430 times
Quote:
I just received a ticket for a turn signal violation, which I'm guilty of. It's a $97 fine, which I would pay but I just checked the ticket and the officer wrote down my violation twice so it's a $194 fine. I apparently switched lanes twice without signaling. I can pay the $97 but don't want to pay the $194, that's excessive, I wasn't speeding or endangering anyone. I'm thinking of challenging this in court. Should I do this? Anyone have experience with turn signal violations tickets? Looking for advice on what I should do, I really don't think I should have to pay $194 for failure to use my signal. Thanks in advance.
Sheesh, Steve McGarrett a traffic cop now? wow.

Appear in court, when you're before the judge, tilt head 15 degrees and say, "I'm sorry".

No just kidding here.

Yes, I would challenge it, but don't go into the court room with a bad attitude, tell the judge you just forgot or something, and ask for leniency, he may have you go to a advanced driver's course, pay for the course, and reduce your fines, and may not have points assessed against your license. Be pleasant in front of the judge and highly respectful.
Make a point of knowing how to eat humble pie, and that you've learned lessons, one, that cops seem to come out of the woodwork, and two, that you're being watched, so, don't mess up again.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,063,390 times
California Motor Vehicle Code does NOT require a signal if there is no other fraffic that would be affected. So check your state law and make the cop show that there were other vehicles present whose movement was actually affected by the lane change.

22107. No person shall turn a vehicle from a direct course or move right or left upon a roadway until such movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after the giving of an appropriate signal in the manner provided in this chapter in the event any other vehicle may be affected by the movement.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d11/vc22107.htm

Last edited by jtur88; 11-22-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 AM

24,639 posts, read 10,968,622 times
Quote:
I just received a ticket for a turn signal violation, which I'm guilty of. It's a $97 fine, which I would pay but I just checked the ticket and the officer wrote down my violation twice so it's a $194 fine. I apparently switched lanes twice without signaling. I can pay the $97 but don't want to pay the $194, that's excessive, I wasn't speeding or endangering anyone. I'm thinking of challenging this in court. Should I do this? Anyone have experience with turn signal violations tickets? Looking for advice on what I should do, I really don't think I should have to pay $194 for failure to use my signal. Thanks in advance.
The tickets are not for speeding or endangering but for two noted violations of not using turn signals. The price for one is ok but you want two for the price of one?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:51 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,250,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
The tickets are not for speeding or endangering but for two noted violations of not using turn signals. The price for one is ok but you want two for the price of one?
Heck, I would, you know BOGO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive