Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 07:42 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,184,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
I just received a ticket for a turn signal violation, which I'm guilty of. It's a $97 fine, which I would pay but I just checked the ticket and the officer wrote down my violation twice so it's a $194 fine. I apparently switched lanes twice without signaling. I can pay the $97 but don't want to pay the $194, that's excessive, I wasn't speeding or endangering anyone.
You changed lanes illegally twice so you're getting two tickets. If a person gets a speeding ticket for speeding for five seconds, should they get two tickets for speeding for ten seconds?

I remember being told in traffic school that if there's nobody to signal, there's no need to signal. I guess technically that is not correct because the law is probably written something like you have to signal whenever you change lanes - regardless if there is nobody within five miles of you.

If you weren't endangering anyone and you weren't inconveniencing anyone (nobody was affected by your non use of signal), then it does seem unreasonable. It may be perfectly legal for you to have received two tickets but I can understand your frustration.

If it is worth your time to fight it, I'd do it. But factoring time off work, driving to the court house, parking, waiting, arguing, driving back to work, etc....it's probably not worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:45 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times
Hawaii no ka oi. Things must be slow for the coppers.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Sadly, the OP is just one more example of somebody who cannot seem to accept responsibility for his own actions.

As I used to say to my educational colleagues, I can understand kids who don't have an adult sense of personal responsibility, simply because...they are kids. What I have a very difficult time understanding is how somebody can be an adult chronologically, but not have developed an adult sense of personal responsibility.

All we seem to see nowadays are people who claim that they shouldn't have to be held accountable for something, either because...it is somebody else's fault, or...they are being, "picked on", or...because the law is, "silly", or...because of some other rationalization that allows them to believe that they are not responsible for their own actions.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheektowaga_Chester View Post
You changed lanes illegally twice so you're getting two tickets. If a person gets a speeding ticket for speeding for five seconds, should they get two tickets for speeding for ten seconds?

I remember being told in traffic school that if there's nobody to signal, there's no need to signal. I guess technically that is not correct because the law is probably written something like you have to signal whenever you change lanes - regardless if there is nobody within five miles of you.

If you weren't endangering anyone and you weren't inconveniencing anyone (nobody was affected by your non use of signal), then it does seem unreasonable. It may be perfectly legal for you to have received two tickets but I can understand your frustration.

If it is worth your time to fight it, I'd do it. But factoring time off work, driving to the court house, parking, waiting, arguing, driving back to work, etc....it's probably not worth it.
No,<bold> but if they speed for 5 seconds then stop at a stoplight and continue on then to speed again later in a different area then yes, they should. Let's say you speed through a school zone then continue on at the speed limit and get on the highway where you crank it up to 80. Well, two separate speeding offenses not just one continued offense.

Here in AZ it seems the cars are sold without turn signals or that there should be a mass recall of all vehicles on the road due to turn signal malfunction.
It makes it hard to drive as you don't know what anyone's going to do next. Is he/she turning,going straight or ??????

I think the OP got what was deserved BUT disagree with the fine amount as I do with most of the other fine amounts.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:34 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
No,<bold> but if they speed for 5 seconds then stop at a stoplight and continue on then to speed again later in a different area then yes, they should. Let's say you speed through a school zone then continue on at the speed limit and get on the highway where you crank it up to 80. Well, two separate speeding offenses not just one continued offense.

Here in AZ it seems the cars are sold without turn signals or that there should be a mass recall of all vehicles on the road due to turn signal malfunction.
It makes it hard to drive as you don't know what anyone's going to do next. Is he/she turning,going straight or ??????

I think the OP got what was deserved BUT disagree with the fine amount as I do with most of the other fine amounts.

Agree. The same nonsense here in MD. You kind of have to observe with great attention to figure out where the driver is going to go.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:39 AM

4,210 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

They should just remove the brake lights too if they want to be so mysterious about what their intentions are on the road. I do a lot of driving in PA and they are also horrible with turn signals.

I often wonder how many people drive without using turn signals but then buckle up for safety, lol. If you are concerned about safety they should not only buckle up but also use turn signals.

I have heard people argue that people speed up and prevent them from merging if they use a blinker. Several things come to mind from experience....there wasnt enough room to begin with and feel you have the right to merge because your blinker is on....you took to long to merge once you put the blinker on...you are driving noticeably slower than the car you are trying to merge in front of. Its all perception.

I know if someone uses a blinker I feel more inclined to allow them to merge vs someone who tries to sneak in. The OP may be upset about receiving two tickets but maybe they will think twice next time they merge without using a turn signal.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:45 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
I moved to Tennessee a year or so ago. Apparently many (most? ) Tennesseans seem to think that using your directional signal is an optional exercise.

Many years ago when there were very few cars on the rural roads it might have worked out reasonably well. In the modern era with LOTS of cars zooming everywhere, it really creates quite a dangerous situation. Throw in that people are texting, talking and following their GPS without any real idea of where they are or where they are going, the roads here are very dangerous.

I wish the police here would hand out tickets for lack of signal use, but it seems to be so ingrained that you don't really need to use them that the police just seem to overlook the violation.

As for your ticket, best to throw the $$$ in an envelope and forget about it. Best case you might be able to argue it down to one citation, but how much time will you spend battling the administration, and what costs are incurred versus just paying the damned thing?

And do us all a favor: Use your directional signal. It's the law, but more importantly, it gives those of us around you some idea of what your intentions are so they we might safely navigate around you.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
So if I rob two banks, I should only be charged with one robbery?

1. Read the driving rules in your states driver's manual.

2. Read this...
What is accepting personal responsibility

Old 11-22-2013, 09:34 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Makes sense to me . . . DOUBLE VIOLATION = DOUBLE CITATION.

Drivers that refuse to use their Turn Signals are worse than those IDIOTS that do the Two Blinks and Turn BS.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I moved to Tennessee a year or so ago. Apparently many (most? ) Tennesseans seem to think that using your directional signal is an optional exercise.

Many years ago when there were very few cars on the rural roads it might have worked out reasonably well. In the modern era with LOTS of cars zooming everywhere, it really creates quite a dangerous situation. Throw in that people are texting, talking and following their GPS without any real idea of where they are or where they are going, the roads here are very dangerous.

I wish the police here would hand out tickets for lack of signal use, but it seems to be so ingrained that you don't really need to use them that the police just seem to overlook the violation.

As for your ticket, best to throw the $$$ in an envelope and forget about it. Best case you might be able to argue it down to one citation, but how much time will you spend battling the administration, and what costs are incurred versus just paying the damned thing?

And do us all a favor: Use your directional signal. It's the law, but more importantly, it gives those of us around you some idea of what your intentions are so they we might safely navigate around you.
It's funny you mention TN! We were looking to move there and were shocked at how many people STOPPED on the on ramp or just after it while trying to get on a highway. Is merging really that hard a concept?
Our realtor did this several times and almost gave me a heart attack. I wanted to tell her "try stepping on that long pedal on the right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive