Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: max miles a car has you would take on a 6 hour/360 mi roadtrip, 1 way
75k 13 6.02%
100k 14 6.48%
125k 17 7.87%
150k 20 9.26%
175k 13 6.02%
200k 28 12.96%
225k 5 2.31%
250k 20 9.26%
275k 3 1.39%
300k +++ 83 38.43%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 11:01 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,991,165 times

Advertisements

I drive my 26 to 44 year old cars everywhere without fear. I've had them long enough I know them inside and out. I am anal about maintenance. Plus they don't rely on sensors and computers to run , except the 88 Taurus. They were also built with time tested components that are still readily available just about everywhere. Last year my wife and I took a 1200 mile vacation in my 76 Maverick. AC blew cold the whole time. Lots of thumbs up on the highway. Never had any inkling that the car was about to die anytime. I trust 'em all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 AM

29,520 posts, read 14,679,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Follow the above advice... Belts and hoses and fluid check. Also Fuel and air filter. Air up the tires, check for oil / water leaks and head out.

Keep the 2000 Jetta TDI (or get a Jetta Wagon TDI). I have some TDI's still feeling fine at 500K.
Do get those hoses replaced and do a waterpump next time you do a timing belt (great time to do hoses too). (if you have not already). Autohauz AZ or Halsey import parts can fix you up. (some of these special hoses are spendy!, but much cheaper than an overheated diesel... Aluminum heads with 20:1 compression do not like getting hot.

Amazing VW suspension and front end reliability. I buy lifetime Bilsteins, and replace the steering component bushings with Audi TT Part numbers, and rarely have any more that a $9 ball joint or tie rod end go bad. I replace the whole arm (rack to tie rod end) if I do anything. It is about $40, but I drive these things forever, so worth the investment, and actually faster than replacing just one end. I keep Wheel bearings in stock and take them with on long road trips.

Don't buy a gasser!!!
Those things are Explosive and dangerous!

If you need an adventure, take a Euro delivery of A3 TDI and bring it home and sell it. There is a nice Blog on Fred's TDI page about this adventure. (keep the 2000 TDI, a pretty decent yr).
You ever have any issues with the lifters going on the TDI ? I remember reading something about that on the Fred's... not that they are hard to change or anything. I might just go thru this car, new suspension (springs are starting to sag and make strange noises) , hoses, I'm not due for a belt for about 60k more miles.
The more I read about the new diesels... either truck or car the more I am shying away. DPF filters, more sensors, EGR coolers , Urea...all added things I don't want to deal with.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:53 PM

147 posts, read 215,702 times
We just got a 1995 Ford F150 extended cab with 200,000 miles on it and will be taking a 300+ mile trip in August with it. We also plan to move from Maine to TN with it next spring, hopefully pulling a fifth wheel. I know it has been totally gone over and is in great shape. We are not afraid to take it anywhere. The motor is a strong 5.0 V-8 and the tranny is good. It is a comfortable ride with enough room for 2 adults and a teenager and toddler in car seat in the back. I love older Fords, can't kill 'em!

Old 05-20-2014, 05:29 AM

13,643 posts, read 10,043,367 times
I think this all depends on what the roads are like on the trip. You could easily drive those miles without even braking or changing gear, (other than at the beginning and the end, that is), on the other hand, you could be driving really nasty roads, through tough terrain, or have loads of traffic to get through.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:53 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,501,008 times
Hard to say. We took the Liberty to Pennsylvania with 120k on the clock (3+ hour drive). I'd have no issue driving it 11 hours to the Outer Banks.

We did take the Matrix down there when I owned it. It was pushing 110k. As long as you maintain it properly then no issue. It's funny how people treat cars like disposable appliance nowadays when they are the second most expensive purchase in most of their lives next to a house.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:32 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,828,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Hard to say. We took the Liberty to Pennsylvania with 120k on the clock (3+ hour drive). I'd have no issue driving it 11 hours to the Outer Banks.

We did take the Matrix down there when I owned it. It was pushing 110k. As long as you maintain it properly then no issue. It's funny how people treat cars like disposable appliance nowadays when they are the second most expensive purchase in most of their lives next to a house.
That is exactly the problem. Most people no longer buy cars, they simply lease them.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:33 PM

3,261 posts, read 3,777,560 times
if it's in good, working order... 300k+. obviously. if it isn't, then even at 5000 miles, i wouldn't.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:33 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,301,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
That is exactly the problem. Most people no longer buy cars, they simply lease them.

I lease two cars and they are not disposeable items to me.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:42 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,633,934 times
Just took one with slightly over 100k on a 7.5 hour road trip. Actually 9 hours as we just stopped for dinner after the 7.5 then continued another 1.5. If you maintain it properly and keep everything up you shouldn't, in my opinion, have any problems.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,753 posts, read 58,116,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You ever have any issues with the lifters going on the TDI ? I remember reading something about that on the Fred's... not that they are hard to change or anything. I might just go thru this car, new suspension (springs are starting to sag and make strange noises) , hoses, I'm not due for a belt for about 60k more miles.
The more I read about the new diesels... either truck or car the more I am shying away. DPF filters, more sensors, EGR coolers , Urea...all added things I don't want to deal with.
I would keep the 2000, or find a wagon that vintage (if you prefer a wagon)

Lifters are EZ, but do be sure to buy the BEST ones you can find (I get OEM through Halsey, as I have a dealer acct there, but last set I bought were $96!!!!! for only 8! That is some serious expense for me... Valves were the same.. $12 each. (I had bought a damaged TDI engine (timing belt broke... thus needed valves and lifters)). so.. for $400 for engine and $400 in head parts... I now have an extra TDI engine, with 116k. It will last me for the rest of my life. I just had another used TDI engine 'sleeved' so should be fixed for TDIs. (I have 7 TD IDIs in the shop at the moment.for spares)

Your hoses will probably last 60k, just examine them for bulges, and carry the new ones as spares.

I have never had to replace VW springs. but I do love my Bilstein shocks and struts (lifetime warranty) I like a stiff suspension and you can get adjustable struts. I use Tokicos rather than Bilsteins if I can find them. I buy most my suspension USED on Fred's or VW Vortex... some kid spends a bundle... then crashes his / her car. I enjoy their struts for life! for less than 1/2 price.

I have used VR6 springs on the cars I swap VR6 engine out for TDI. They sit a little tall, but are stiffer. I need the extra clearance for snow.

Good luck, and leave that Urea garbage for CARB states and NEVER buy new

If USA only would have an energy policy... and use BioD / alternative fuels in the most polluting and environmentally sensitive applications,,, USA could be independent and have one of the best air quality (without CARB, or EPA.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive