Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 08:15 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,439 times

Advertisements

estimate to drive 9 hours total, to/from and local driving.

car has less than 2k miles; it's a few months old. So, other than the tire pressure, is there anything I should check or do? I thought about an oil change but I don't think I need one yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 09:52 AM

957 posts, read 2,020,043 times
Since the car is new, you really don't need too much. Besides pressures, I would check over all the fluids, look at the belts, check the torque on the lug nuts, etc, just in case you had a leak or other problem from the factory that you haven't noticed yet.

The manufacturer would not recommend an oil change. However, I always like to do the first oil change on a car early (1500-2000 miles). This is not related to the road trip, but generally I've seen a little more metal and such in the oil on the first chagne as the engine is getting its first wear. Plenty of people have had cars last a long time without this, so it could just be me being overly cautious.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:01 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
I'd agree with z28lt1 on the oil change

I'd also not hold it at any one set speed, very it every
10 to 15 miles until 5000 miles

Make sure you have the toll free number for service

Old 06-20-2008, 11:26 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,302,661 times
Wink safe travel

everyone has good ideas. especialy the one about changing speeds. that is recomended for engine breakin. also check all your lights to make sure they all work. even though the car is new still check em just to make sure. also check your transmission fluid and anti freeze level and windsheild washer fluid. you always want to have a clear veiw when you travel. all good tips.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:31 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Agree on the oil change, it may not be strictly speaking "necessary" but it's a good idea. The car is not fully broken in, so I would still avoid long stretches of steady speed -

What kind of car, where are you going? For a freeway drone and driving around a town you don't know too well, consider the benefits of just renting a car, for say $110 you can get a discounted weekend rental with the loss/damage waiver that pays for any damage to the car. Just a thought. No worries about where to park your newbie when you get there, no worries about mechanical problems or wrecks, depending on what your new car is you could find something that will save you some gas.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:01 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,328,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 Mitch View Post
agree On The Oil Change, It May Not Be Strictly Speaking "necessary" But It's A Good Idea. The Car Is Not Fully Broken In, So I Would Still Avoid Long Stretches Of Steady Speed -

What Kind Of Car, Where Are You Going? For A Freeway Drone And Driving Around A Town You Don't Know Too Well, Consider The Benefits Of Just Renting A Car, For Say $110 You Can Get A Discounted Weekend Rental With The Loss/damage Waiver That Pays For Any Damage To The Car. Just A Thought. No Worries About Where To Park Your Newbie When You Get There, No Worries About Mechanical Problems Or Wrecks, Depending On What Your New Car Is You Could Find Something That Will Save You Some Gas.
Camry 08.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:00 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
If you are really proud of the car and plan to keep it a long time, I'll stand by my rental car idea.

If it's just an appliance to you, by all means do the oil change if you can, but drive it, your odds of having any kind of car trouble with it are probably less than the odds of being hit by a meteorite...

Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
9 hr total road trip ? ~ 500 Miles? I (and many in WY, MT, ID) often do that as a daily hop, so you can do the oil when you get home, but I prefer to do around 2000 miles. I haven't a new car since I was a teenager (~1970...) so... anything under 200,000 is new to me.

I can understand renting if you are going to put on 10 - 12,000 miles, which is a road trip for me. I get mine on Priceline for ~$16/day, that is cheaper than depreciating your own vehicle.

For prep: tires, fluid levels, hoses. and belts are my priorities. In winter include fuel filter and survival gear.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:19 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Don't change your oil until after the trip. most manu. recommend 5K before first oil change because of the special additives that are put in the oil that help with breakin.
9 hour road trip is nothing for a new car. Just don't drive at very high speeds.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:51 PM

67 posts, read 201,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
estimate to drive 9 hours total, to/from and local driving.

car has less than 2k miles; it's a few months old. So, other than the tire pressure, is there anything I should check or do? I thought about an oil change but I don't think I need one yet.
Um, check to see that there's gas in the tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive