Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,188,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
So your telling me a Civic, Corolla, Camry, Jetta, Golf, Accord, Sentra, Altima Toyota and Nissan trucks have all gotten smaller?
You're telling me modern sedans are smaller then the 50s, 60s, and 70s sedans people around here seem to opine for?

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Chevrolet still has the WT which stands for work truck.

It is a no frill model usually with rubber mats and no power windows and locks... some had no radio at the truck center.

Painted bumpers, no chrome, and basic vinyl interior and they do cost less...
So why are some crying like a lil B about "not having it" then.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:14 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I have a 1939/40 Ford truckbed trailer so I went out and measured it. The inside dimensions are 46" wide and 69" long, not nearly big enough to lay standard 4'x8' building material into.
That was the downfall for many...

The next upgrade was a full 48" across... the bed was still short, but, now with the option to load 4 x 8 sheet with the tailgate down or up.

I hauled a lot of sheet goods with an old station wagon... no problem putting in many 4 x 8 sheets of plywood

Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
So why are some crying like a lil B about "not having it" then.
Might be a lack of information...

Old 12-02-2012, 11:16 AM

106,938 posts, read 109,196,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
When I see a Sanford and Son looking truck, it looks so tiny compared to the massive size monster trucks that I see now. Did they just not have the technological ability back then or did they just not care about size?
We didnt have to drive such big over weight kids around 10 - 15 years ago.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,390,758 times
Quote:

The next upgrade was a full 48" across... the bed was still short, but, now with the option to load 4 x 8 sheet with the tailgate down or up.

I hauled a lot of sheet goods with an old station wagon... no problem putting in many 4 x 8 sheets of plywood
I don't recall when building materials settled on the 4'x8' configuration but I would think truck manufacturers shortly followed suit, or vice versa.

Of course, it's all in the way you load the load that makes the difference:

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 12-20-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I don't recall when building materials settled on the 4'x8' configuration but I would think truck manufacturers shortly followed suit, or vice versa.

Of course, it's all in the way you load the load that makes the difference:
Scary, but I've seen similar here.

My full size Silverado is a Styleside... box dimensions roughly 4'x7'

I can either slide sheet goods over the tailgate or drop the gate.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,361,117 times
Quote:

yeah GM killed that when they ended the full-Size RWD Caprice line-up in 1996

ahh the Good old Wagon Queen family Truckster era of cars before CUV/SUV killed them off.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,390,758 times
Quote:
Scary, but I've seen similar here.

My full size Silverado is a Styleside... box dimensions roughly 4'x7'

I can either slide sheet goods over the tailgate or drop the gate.
I have a 1/2 ton F150 but when I have a really heavy load to haul, like a pallet of fuel pellets (1 ton), I take my 16' tandem axle car hauler trailer. If it's an appliance like a stove or refrigerator for the rent house, I take my wife's 4'x8' single axle, tilt-bed utility trailer rated at about 700 pounds. The car-hauler has a low flat bed with no sides and is good for getting large things on and off easily. Last week, I winched an old concrete front porch and step onto the trailer that probably weighed a ton. When I got back to the farm, I pulled in front of the barn door where I wanted to install the step and used my tractor to drag the thing off the trailer. I'm now sure that's probably how the Egyptians moved their pyramid stones; with a Ford 8n tractor, I mean.

As long as it isn't too much, I do still use my truck's fleetside bed to haul plywood, wall board or long lumber but I don't have a bedliner so I have to be somewhat careful.

The red 39/40 Ford truck bed trailer in the pic is not registered. It's just something I restored a few years ago for use around the farm, like hauling grand kids.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 PM

I use my Silverado mostly for towing... the bed is near perfect

On occasion, I have put 1800 pounds of sack concrete in the bed.

Mostly I use trailers too... so much more convenient being lower to the ground and not have to be as careful not to cause damage... my little 4x6 box trailer has a steel floor and then there is the bigger dump trailer I made and the Kubota Hauler too.

I kind of miss the old 74 Chevrolet Fleetside I had back in high school... I was always picking up gas money helping people move... I put anything in the bed... rock, dirt, broken concrete etc without giving it a second thought... a real workhorse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive