Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:00 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,761,740 times

Advertisements

The size and power of modern trucks doesn't have any thing to do with the size of the passengers. A truck from 40 years ago could haul the same amount of fat *****es, but when you can use a pickup to haul most anything and still use it as a daily driver, get decent mpg and you can haul the family in comfort too that is going to be taken in to account more than anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Why are old trucks so small?-2013-gmc-sierra-hd-3500-side  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM

25,958 posts, read 18,946,695 times
And that's another thing... when did this "comfort" things start? Are we going to have an auto with a Lazy Boy in it? Or an auto that wipes our tushy for us?

The more useless garbage they keep throwing into cars and trucks, the more they cost, and the more they cost to maintain because there more junk there is to blow up on you. I do appreciate the more reliable engines and mechanical components, but I sure wish they still offered a car or truck with manual windows, no electronic garbage in the passenger compartment, and pretty much manual everything. The cost would be lower and the reliability would be higher. I can roll my own window up and down--I'm not so lazy I can't do that yet.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,661,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
I think you are asking the wrong question. A better question would be why are today's trucks so big
I was going to say the same.

Old 12-02-2012, 09:05 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,188,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
People were thinner back in the day
Seeing how every other class of car has shrunk over the past few decades, I can't see the correlation between our waistline and vehicle size.

Mike

Old 12-02-2012, 09:37 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,158,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Seeing how every other class of car has shrunk over the past few decades, I can't see the correlation between our waistline and vehicle size.

Mike
So your telling me a Civic, Corolla, Camry, Jetta, Golf, Accord, Sentra, Altima Toyota and Nissan trucks have all gotten smaller?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:07 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,315,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And that's another thing... when did this "comfort" things start?
When we stopped living in caves and crapping in the outside weather. So, it's been a while.

And until you go back to living in caves and crapping outside, I suggest you think about who you are calling lazy.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,025,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
When we stopped living in caves and crapping in the outside weather. So, it's been a while.

And until you go back to living in caves and crapping outside, I suggest you think about who you are calling lazy.
But, it's true. Americans are a lazy bunch. How many still wash their own cars? How many lock their doors manually the way that we used to do it? People, espec young people are too lazy and would rather push a button fob and make loud honking noises when they do it, even when they park at night in a neighborhood that;s trying to sleep. Nobody practices decent courtesy anymore and all of those comfort things are a part of it. The ppl in the monster trucks also have an oversized sense of entitlement, like you should "get out of the way" for them if your car is smaller or else they'll highbeam you or swerve your butt off the road.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,505,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And that's another thing... when did this "comfort" things start? Are we going to have an auto with a Lazy Boy in it? Or an auto that wipes our tushy for us?

The more useless garbage they keep throwing into cars and trucks, the more they cost, and the more they cost to maintain because there more junk there is to blow up on you. I do appreciate the more reliable engines and mechanical components, but I sure wish they still offered a car or truck with manual windows, no electronic garbage in the passenger compartment, and pretty much manual everything. The cost would be lower and the reliability would be higher. I can roll my own window up and down--I'm not so lazy I can't do that yet.
No they will not. Your "simpler" truck will be more expensive cause someone will have to special oreder hand cranks etc cause no one makes one since you are in the MINORITY. If you werent, things like those would have sold enough to keep them alive. Thats how the free markets works. By numbers.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
No they will not. Your "simpler" truck will be more expensive cause someone will have to special oreder hand cranks etc cause no one makes one since you are in the MINORITY. If you werent, things like those would have sold enough to keep them alive. Thats how the free markets works. By numbers.
Chevrolet still has the WT which stands for work truck.

It is a no frill model usually with rubber mats and no power windows and locks... some had no radio at the truck center.

Painted bumpers, no chrome, and basic vinyl interior and they do cost less...

Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,390,758 times
I have a 1939/40 Ford truckbed trailer so I went out and measured it. The inside dimensions are 46" wide and 69" long, not nearly big enough to lay standard 4'x8' building material into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive