Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 AM

35 posts, read 59,869 times

Advertisements

like everything in the U.S.A. the trucks are getting bigger cause the people are getting fatter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:44 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,187,944 times
Is that the reason?
Or is it that we are using our pick-ups for more than just hauling firewood.

I'm sure there were fat people back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl. View Post
like everything in the U.S.A. the trucks are getting bigger cause the people are getting fatter

Old 11-30-2012, 08:41 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,262,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Is that the reason?
Or is it that we are using our pick-ups for more than just hauling firewood.

I'm sure there were fat people back then.;)
Not like there is today!

I leave my '95 F150 at the rental lot when I take out a full size P/U, often a Toyota, for work. After spending a few days in it, my truck seems tiny.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,231,331 times
You are looking at this the wrong way. The mystery is not why old trucks were so small, but instead it is why are today's trucks so large?

Old pickups still had a bed large enough for a sheet of plywood. They were more than big enough for light contractor use (plumber, electrician) or a gentleman's truck (think Lariat). Anyone that needed more would buy a super duty type of truck.

But today's half ton can tow 7500 lbs or more.

I want to see a 4000 lb half ton that gets 25 MPG or more every day. Not a 5000 lb truck that with a tailwind gets 23 MPG on the highway.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:54 AM

Sure, there are more but there always were
and there are more people.

They didn't have the large 5th wheels with 3 slides or a lot of large TT like we do now, nor was was it as poplar back then.
Today folks want to tow a 35ft 5er and take the family along.

hey, lets make trucks luxury vehicles

Trucks were seen as utility vehicles and not a rig to take the family to a football game or to drive to work in the city.

[quote=vmaxnc;27150451]Not like there is today!

quote]

Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,580,124 times
Weren't the beds of the trucks about the same size (inside bed width, length, and depth)? Part of what I've seen change is the desire to make a truck a family vehicle (enough cab space to haul a family) with luxury trim and options. Trucks from not too far back seem almost the same size as modern midsize trucks. At one time trucks were made with rubberized flooring and vinyl seats to make it so the owner can hose out the inside of the truck cab after a long day of work. Even those micro-trucks of the 70s and early 80s were functional for light duty work. I wonder if the big and bulky body of today's trucks have anything to do with crash safety requirements of today?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM

4,235 posts, read 3,780,483 times
Its not that they were so small its that everything these days is overkill. Those trucks served there purpose as a utility vehicle to haul what you needed while taking a beating. You had a pickup and a family car...trucks these days have become the family vehicles that cost more and are nicer than many cars on the road. WIth the increased usage and safety standars like sailordave said I think thats one of the reasons they have gotten so big.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:34 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,580,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Its not that they were so small its that everything these days is overkill. Those trucks served there purpose as a utility vehicle to haul what you needed while taking a beating. You had a pickup and a family car...trucks these days have become the family vehicles that cost more and are nicer than many cars on the road. WIth the increased usage and safety standars like sailordave said I think thats one of the reasons they have gotten so big.
and they've become morbidly obese. Older trucks weighed about the same as some of today's family sedans which have reached the 4,000 lbs or more level. Besides safety, other things adding to the vehicle weight and size is sound proofing. Trucks weren't smooth quiet riding vehicles they are today. I remember when the only four door truck you saw was a commercial fleet duty truck (usually a dually) used by a work crew on the job. They weren't built for comfort. They did have working heaters, but you were lucky if they had AC. I've seen some with rusted off fenders but still going strong hauling firewood, dirt, gravel, roofing materials, etc. I've seen people use those micro-trucks for light duty work like lawn care, general repair, and light deliveries. Amazingly, those little trucks could still tow even with those little engines (though not big loads). Such a truck engineered today could get fantastic fuel economy if they don't get in a pissing match for amount of weight it can tow.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:52 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,231,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Sure, there are more but there always were
and there are more people.

They didn't have the large 5th wheels with 3 slides or a lot of large TT like we do now, nor was was it as poplar back then.
Today folks want to tow a 35ft 5er and take the family along.

hey, lets make trucks luxury vehicles

Trucks were seen as utility vehicles and not a rig to take the family to a football game or to drive to work in the city.

Anyone with a 5th wheel trailer can buy a SuperDuty truck. No need to build that capacity into a halfton.

I think travel trailers on a per capita basis are less popular now than before.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 AM

We bought a new TT to replace our old one this spring.
I asked the sales guy about his sales numbers.
He said surprisingly sales are up on all models (5ers or TT's)
When you drive by the lot ther are always different trailers/campers on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think travel trailers on a per capita basis are less popular now than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive