Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times

Advertisements

For a long time I never saw a need for a truck in my life, and it made me wonder why people use these to get groceries when they’re such a gas hog. But looking into the RV world, I guess the best way to tow that RV trailer is a good truck. Now, if I could afford it, I don’t need a big RV trailer, maybe just a 22’ to 25’ trailer or maybe the shortest adequate 5th wheeler. So I wouldn’t need that 6.7L diesel F350 that gets 16 mpgs. The truck that gets me going is a decked out F150 3.5L ecoboost with Max Tow package in the Platinum or Limited editions… But for a few bucks more you could get that F350!

My only gripe is that Ford lies about their tow capacity. When the Toyota Tundra came out and boasted 10800 lbs towing capacity, the next year’s Ford F150 model magically had better tow capacity numbers than the Tundra. Check out this review where the 2009 5.4L F150 came out last: 2009 Full-Size Pickup Truck Comparison Test and Video on Inside Line

Right now I still like the F150 because of the 3.5L ecoboost engine and because of it’s looks, interior, and features. The Dodge RAM is 2nd place to me, I don’t know much about the current Tundra. But having a truck is only something I’d consider if I won the Lotto and had an RV, otherwise, I don’t need a gas hog 6000 lb F150.

So if you got a truck what is it and what do you use it for? Do you tow with it and what do you tow? If you don’t tow anything then why do you drive a truck? If you wish you had a truck what would it be?

If you’re a truck expert what do you think the best truck is?

Now, if I had a truck, it’d rarely get driven because it’s a gas hog. My 2005 Dodge G.C. SXT gets 12 mpg city and 25.6 mpg hwy at 70 mph, so I rarely drive it for city use. In the 1 year I’ve owned it I only drove it a total of 1250 miles! I’d probably have to give the truck an occasional drive to charge up the battery, but my 2005 SXT has a direct 12V plug to battery which I connect a 15W solar panel to keep the battery charged… I can go a month without driving and the battery will still be topped off. I even occasionally just go into my minivan just to listen to music from cds in it.

Now when I drive or bike anywhere I pay attention to the trucks I see, and those modern trucks sure look gigantic! I never saw an F450 live yet that was used as a personal tow vehicle. Maybe I should visit a Ford dealer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 09:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I think the opposite. Why would anyone drive a sedan when a small to midsize truck gets just about the same gas mileage, has much much more utility benefits, is nowadays just about as comfortable and luxurious, and because of its utility, hold its value? Mid size trucks like a Tacoma or the new Colorado seat just as many as a mid size sedan plus they can hold all your stuff in the back. A sedan is a sedan is a sedan. A truck is a practical vehicle for a middle class person (man or woman) and has value to a gardener or service worker on resale. I just can't imagine owning a sedan. They are all about the same whether from BMW Ford Hundai Honda etc.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,042,755 times
I love my 4x4 truck for when I need it to do what a car cannot do. But it's not my daily driver/commute vehicle.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:11 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Well, for right now I haul stuff with my minivan, especially big bulky stuff. You can put a refridgerator in a truck, but not in a minivan, but I usually don't haul stuff like that.

Another forum mentioned the 2014 Chevy Silverado... Seems like a good truck but the styling is not as attractive as an F150. It's got boring looks to me.

2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 | Fuel-Efficient Truck | Chevrolet

Old 05-12-2013, 09:27 PM

550 posts, read 1,282,490 times
I've never owned a car. Always a pick up. My chief complaint is that auto companies don't make small trucks. I just bought a Frontier and if I could have, I would have bought a new Nissan hardbody. Too bad Nissan doesn't make those anymore. I test drove a 2011 F150. It was great but I really didn't want a full size truck. It's so weird that the new full size trucks get the same or better mpg than a small or mid size truck but that's another topic.

As someone said, pickups are much more useful than cars. Yeah, I don't always need one but when I do it's great to have. I have a pop up camper. I hate camping but I have to have some way to pull it.

And I know this is hard for some to believe - but not everyone wants a car. Some people like driving trucks. I just don't like the way cars sit and the way they drive.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,946,642 times
If you want to get into RVing, look at RV forums for tow vehicle recommendations (there's plenty of threads already,just start reading).

From what I've read in the Airstream community, the Tundra is a great tow vehicle. Smaller / lighter trailers can be pulled by the Tacoma. When comparing tow vehicles, bigger will definitely pull more, but it's all about what you want in a trailer. My parents tow with either a Nissan Titan or a Ford Expedition. Both tow about 8,000 lbs fairly comfortably (Reese weight distribution hitch, sway control, and trailer brakes). Both good trucks, with terrible gas mileage. The Ford does worse, at around 12-13mpg on the highway. Bump that down to 10-11 when towing. The Titan will manage 14-15mpg on the highway, down to 12-13 when towing. A co-worker has a GMC Sierra with cylinder deactivation. He gets low 20's on the highway, mid to upper teens when towing.

Haven't driven the new Ford's yet, but those ecoboost engines are nice. The F-150 is the best selling truck in the US -- obviously they're doing something right. Interiors seem sharp / comfortable, they come with the latest toys, get decent economy (for a large truck), and they'll tow a mid sized travel trailer well enough. Wouldn't hurt to go test drive one and see if it's a good fit for you.

Disclaimer: personally, I'm not a truck fan. I have no use for one, do a lot of city driving, and often find myself parallel parking. For my uses, a small car works well.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:46 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
If you are really going to consider buying the F150, skip the Ecobust. The 6.2 will tow more and get better fuel mileage in the REAL world. The Ecobust is getting about 13-14 town and about 16-17 hiway in the REAL world. The 6.2 is about 14-15 town and 19-20 hiway and some are getting as good as 24 hiway with conservative driving. The Ecobust has been plagued with issues Ford apparently can't fix like the inter cooler that generates condensate which forms into water and when you give it too much gas, the water gets sucked into the engine and the PCM shuts it down into limp mode. How would you like to have your family in that truck when trying to pass an 18 wheeler. It's wonder more people haven't been killed with this joke.......and I bleed Ford Blue. The F150 is a great truck but the Ecobust is crap.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:48 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,694,681 times
I like utes.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,833,260 times
Diesels get better mileage towing or not. They cost more and diesel fuel is more. But the diesels are a nicer towing experience (way more torque than a gas engine) and they work way better in the mountains and particularly in the west where the mountain passes can be 10-12K ft.

My 4x4 5.9 Cummins with quad cab and long beg get 19-20mpg unloaded and 14-16 towing a travel trailer here in the mountains. It will tow our bumper pull with 2 dirt bikes + firewood in the bed and still lots of room in the cab for up to 6 passengers.

I need 4x4 and a turbo living in rural Colorado at 10,000ft. Not many options and not a lot that will get good mileage doing it. Heck the wife's turbo'd Subaru only gets 22 mpg here in the mountains.

I pick the 20ft long truck over the Subaru most of the time, unless I'm going to the city.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Oh yes... I like trucks
American Truck Historical Society - Home

See you in Yakima, WA in 2 weeks! (Tho I need to fly 11,000 miles ONE WAY to get there.. Bad TRUCK habit.)

National Convention, restored Trucks from across the USA

Yakima Valley SunDome/State Fair Park
1301 S. Fair Avenue
Yakima, WA 98901
Phone: (509) 248-7160
Fax: (509) 248-8093
State Fair Park - Home

WHEN

THURSDAY: May 30, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
FRIDAY: May 31, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
SATURDAY: June 1, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive