Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think the opposite. Why would anyone drive a sedan when a small to midsize truck gets just about the same gas mileage, has much much more utility benefits, is nowadays just about as comfortable and luxurious, and because of its utility, hold its value? Mid size trucks like a Tacoma or the new Colorado seat just as many as a mid size sedan plus they can hold all your stuff in the back. A sedan is a sedan is a sedan. A truck is a practical vehicle for a middle class person (man or woman) and has value to a gardener or service worker on resale. I just can't imagine owning a sedan. They are all about the same whether from BMW Ford Hundai Honda etc.
I'm at the other pole on this.
Why would anybody who enjoy driving (and loves having control over the vehicle) would drive a truck unless it is for work, it is beyond comprehension for me...
I made the mistake of renting a Jeep Grand Cherokee in my last business trip and I felt close to throwing up from the bouncy motion. It felt like floating with no real control over the vehicle or road.

And believe it or not, in the sedans world there is a huge difference on handling between a BMW vs a Ford/Hyundai/etc.

I do own a truck but it is a 3rd vehicle used only when I needed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 10:13 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Why would anybody who enjoy driving (and loves having control over the vehicle) would drive a truck unless it is for work, it is beyond comprehension for me...
I love performance driving, but modern sports cars/sport sedans are very fast in the corners given the low speed limits we have here in the USA. When I want to get my 'fix' I jump on my KTM 2-stroke where there are no speed limits and I can power slide though corners and fly though the air.

I also have a fantastic racing simulator (3D) that uses laser scanned real-world tracks. Some professional drivers use it for practice.

But despite the great drivers roads we have around here, they are full of slow people driving trucks and cops with radar guns. It's so frustrating to be stuck behind them with a good handling car. At least with a big diesel your have a great view, huge comfortable seats with giant arm rests. Heck, I can lug this thing down to 40mph in 6th gear so it's not so frustrating to follow slow trucks. With around 500hp and 1000 lb/ft or torque, it can JUMP when it's time to pass.

Hit the dirt roads when it's dry, or in snow and mud and you can hang the ass out and drift it quite nicely given it's 20ft long and close to 9,000lbs

I also like the 650 mile range I get out of the 32gal tank. And finally people seem to remember their manners (no tail gating or camping out in the left lane) around the truck.

As strange as it may seem, big trucks can be a lot of fun to drive. That inline 6 Cummins plays sweet music.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post

As strange as it may seem, big trucks can be a lot of fun to drive.

After decades of driving a big van for our family, I suggested to my wife that she look at any car under $50,000 since are kids are growing up and we rarely need a 7 passenger vehicle anymore (plus we had a minivan at the time as well). She tired a dozen or so different cars and came back and said she did not like driving any of them. She wanted another big van. Not for practical reasons as much as she simply likes driving a big vehicle better and she likes vans because they do not have a "nose" (hood) sticking out in front.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
I have always had a truck for projects and a car for daily driving. Could not live with out one

Old 05-15-2013, 02:59 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I made the mistake of renting a Jeep Grand Cherokee in my last business trip and I felt close to throwing up from the bouncy motion. It felt like floating with no real control over the vehicle or road.

And believe it or not, in the sedans world there is a huge difference on handling between a BMW vs a Ford/Hyundai/etc.

I do own a truck but it is a 3rd vehicle used only when I needed it.
Actually, I'm the opposite. I'd probably drive my 4x4 full-size Chevy everywhere, were it not for the gas mileage. Granted, it's a half-ton, so it doesn't have extremely heavy suspension. And I've replaced shocks as needed. But the thing drives, rides and handles wonderfully.

And it's not that I don't have a decent car to drive. My daily driver is an old RWD Volvo I restored. Drives like a dream. It's just that the truck is great to drive too.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:26 AM

36 posts, read 114,354 times
I like trucks. I always think of the many things I could haul with them lol. My husband has disdain for any truck and says only hillbillies and rednecks drive them so we've never purchased one.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Vehicles are a tool, not a statis symbol.

I drive a 3/4 Ford truck, 4 wheel drive, because that is what I need to function in every day life. I don't have the luxury of owning multiple vehicles to pick and choose from.

I feed livestock in mud, snow and even nice weather. I pull trailers and I haul loads. I have a 3/4 ton because a 1/2 ton won't handle the loads, I don't need the expense of a 1 ton because the 3/4 does just fine. Occasionally I overload it and have been known to pull trailers in excess of 25,000 lbs. But those are few and far between. What I have (1985) does what I need it to do, so there is no reason to upgrade just because the neighbors have a new one. Mine runs fine and with the 3208 Cat diesel under the hood, she'll still be pulling hard when 2013's are sitting in the bone yard.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM

342 posts, read 803,400 times
I love trucks for the fact that I can just put my cycling stuff and go. When I drive my truck I feel more at ease and more in control than when I drive my sports car where I can't get peace driving it. I would never drive a truck, or a sports car to work, so much more at ease without worrying about spending on gas, or somebody putting pinstripes on it. It is hard to find someone who went from a truck to a car, most for economic reasons.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM

2,341 posts, read 12,045,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Vehicles are a tool, not a statis symbol.

I drive a 3/4 Ford truck, 4 wheel drive, because that is what I need to function in every day life. I don't have the luxury of owning multiple vehicles to pick and choose from.

I feed livestock in mud, snow and even nice weather. I pull trailers and I haul loads. I have a 3/4 ton because a 1/2 ton won't handle the loads, I don't need the expense of a 1 ton because the 3/4 does just fine. Occasionally I overload it and have been known to pull trailers in excess of 25,000 lbs. But those are few and far between. What I have (1985) does what I need it to do, so there is no reason to upgrade just because the neighbors have a new one. Mine runs fine and with the 3208 Cat diesel under the hood, she'll still be pulling hard when 2013's are sitting in the bone yard.
Okay now buddy, you have my attention!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:21 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Do I like trucks??? I like 'em like I like my momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
For a long time I never saw a need for a truck in my life, and it made me wonder why people use these to get groceries when they’re such a gas hog. But looking into the RV world, I guess the best way to tow that RV trailer is a good truck. Now, if I could afford it, I don’t need a big RV trailer, maybe just a 22’ to 25’ trailer or maybe the shortest adequate 5th wheeler. So I wouldn’t need that 6.7L diesel F350 that gets 16 mpgs. The truck that gets me going is a decked out F150 3.5L ecoboost with Max Tow package in the Platinum or Limited editions… But for a few bucks more you could get that F350!

My only gripe is that Ford lies about their tow capacity. When the Toyota Tundra came out and boasted 10800 lbs towing capacity, the next year’s Ford F150 model magically had better tow capacity numbers than the Tundra. Check out this review where the 2009 5.4L F150 came out last: 2009 Full-Size Pickup Truck Comparison Test and Video on Inside Line

Right now I still like the F150 because of the 3.5L ecoboost engine and because of it’s looks, interior, and features. The Dodge RAM is 2nd place to me, I don’t know much about the current Tundra. But having a truck is only something I’d consider if I won the Lotto and had an RV, otherwise, I don’t need a gas hog 6000 lb F150.

So if you got a truck what is it and what do you use it for? Do you tow with it and what do you tow? If you don’t tow anything then why do you drive a truck? If you wish you had a truck what would it be?

If you’re a truck expert what do you think the best truck is?

Now, if I had a truck, it’d rarely get driven because it’s a gas hog. My 2005 Dodge G.C. SXT gets 12 mpg city and 25.6 mpg hwy at 70 mph, so I rarely drive it for city use. In the 1 year I’ve owned it I only drove it a total of 1250 miles! I’d probably have to give the truck an occasional drive to charge up the battery, but my 2005 SXT has a direct 12V plug to battery which I connect a 15W solar panel to keep the battery charged… I can go a month without driving and the battery will still be topped off. I even occasionally just go into my minivan just to listen to music from cds in it.

Now when I drive or bike anywhere I pay attention to the trucks I see, and those modern trucks sure look gigantic! I never saw an F450 live yet that was used as a personal tow vehicle. Maybe I should visit a Ford dealer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive