Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 11:04 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,663,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
If you have yu seat tipped all the way back, the seat belt will do almost nothing for you. You will slide right out from under it. In that situation, it can catch your head and break your neck. Still we wear them even withthe seats tipped back. I wonder if we would be better off not wearing them in that situation.
Phenomenon known as "submarining" .... also has almost completely been done away with as manufacturers redesign seats. Happened much more frequently when independent lap and shoulder belts were used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 11:05 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,968,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I can completely agree with this. However in the unlikely event an accident does happen, you should be prepared be pay for any medical injuries you sustain. The government should haven't to bail you out if you can't cover the medical expenses. You could quickly point out you have private insurance, however if the private insurance company learned that you have major injuries, where if you HAD used a seat belt they wouldn't have been as extensive (and costly) they might be less willing to pay to all of the medical costs. In short, you can't ask for total freedom and be unwilling to pay for that freedom.

Personally I always wear seat belts, having been in several vehicle accidents, I know it only a matter of time before you hit something or something hits you.
Agree. There are those who will always fight and say they want their personal freedom to choose. What they forget is that the reason for most laws are for the benefit of the citizens as a whole. If everyone want to do whatever they wish is their rights all the the time, we would have chaos.

As for not wearing seat belt? There is no question that it saves lives and minimizes injuries. There are going to be exceptions where seat may kill but overall, seat belt is better than no seat belt. Also remember that you now have SSRS in most cars, you are better off having your seat belt on when one of those goes off.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM

3,522 posts, read 7,808,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I don't want to wear one in town. I am going 30 mph and don't need it.
Question, How is going 30 MPH and hitting another car going 30 MPH head on any different than hitting a stationary object when your going 60 MPH?

Old 04-27-2012, 11:20 AM

3,522 posts, read 7,808,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
There are going to be exceptions where seat may kill but overall, seat belt is better than no seat belt.

There always some lucky bastard that gets ejected from the car just right and walks away without a scratch when if he had worn his seat belt he would have been killed in the mangled wreckage of the car. They swear up and down that they will never wear a seat belt, I'm living proof.

But for 99 accidents out of 100, Seat Belt DO save lives (and less injuries), I'll pay those odds any day.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:34 AM

4,254 posts, read 3,799,288 times
SJ08054, the only argument I have is its my life and I can do with it as I choose. If I choose not to wear my seatbelt and I die how does it impact you? I miss NH and the "Live Free or Die" motto. Not trying to disrespect anyones thoughts, just my two cents. And yes I do wear my seatbelt.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:41 AM

43 posts, read 92,723 times
I put mine on whenever I get into a car.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,914,431 times
Don't get why anyone wouldn't wear a seatbelt.

I'd wear a 5-point racing harness in my old truck if it had one.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,663,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

also dangerous because you lose airbag functionality, but thats another argument for another thread.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:36 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,484,639 times
I always wear a seat belt, and one did save my life in a terrible accident, when I was in an offset rear-end collision at highway speed, though the twit who hit me was doing over 90 and weaving, sending me pirouetting across an Interstate highway. Had I not had on the belt, the force of the impact and vehicle careening out of control would have hampered my efforts to attempt to regain any sort of control over the vehicle. The BMW was totaled, but I avoided hitting a bridge support and a semi because I was firmly planted in the seat.

I get after my nieces and nephews when they try to slack on the seat, even the back seat, as the seat belt will not protect them. I used to threaten to get larger size booster seats with five point restraints that can be used for larger children, as the sheer embarrassment factor with the older set being required to use a "baby" seat curbed the practice, especially when I informed them that I can very easily find booster seats to 100lbs with the five points.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-27-2012, 12:46 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,914,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
also dangerous because you lose airbag functionality, but thats another argument for another thread.
With a 5-point, who needs an airbag?

Anyway, I said old truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive