Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 AM

25,942 posts, read 16,703,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Not a fan of seatbelts, and have no specific reason why, just dont like it. I think it may partially be because I grew up in NH where seatbelts are not required and I got used to that mentality. I live in NJ now where it is the law and I am also military so I have to wear it on base as well. I also wear one because I dont want my children to see me without one when I am telling them that they need to wear one.
I remember the days when we couldn't even find the seatbelts. They would be stuffed way down in the seat. Didn't even think about it. Had to dig them out to take my drivers test I remember.

Now, I wouldn't drive across a parking lot without buckling up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 08:39 AM

4,290 posts, read 3,834,843 times
I remember that too. I also remember once you got out of your first car seat that was it. No boosters or anything like that, into the seat you went. I remember my mom used to wrap the shoulder strap around our back so it wouldnt rub our necks. I think we were told we only had to wear them on long trips too if I remember correctly.

Now days when I see kids all over the back seat without any seat belts its drives me nuts. I want to say something to the parents but they always seem to be the people that seem distracted and never look over at me. Without say, kids should have to wear them because they are too young to decide right from wrong.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 AM

3,862 posts, read 6,335,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I remember the days when we couldn't even find the seatbelts. They would be stuffed way down in the seat. Didn't even think about it.
Being the smallest of all my siblings, I remember a very long trip home from Grandma's house stuffed in the very back (rumble seat) of a VW bug in the 70s.

That aside, to answer your original question, it seems to me that some folks don't think they need to take into account that it is the other driver you need to worry about. I mean, we all get a bit complacent behind the wheel, however, there are too many variables that can and do occur when driving. It really is not all about you and your control of the situation. Just this week, I read of a local 50 year old woman who lost her life due to no seat belt being on. She was successful, productive, and very much loved, but now is gone.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:33 AM

3,537 posts, read 7,839,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Plus, it's not the government's place to tell me how to protect myself.
I can completely agree with this. However in the unlikely event an accident does happen, you should be prepared be pay for any medical injuries you sustain. The government should haven't to bail you out if you can't cover the medical expenses. You could quickly point out you have private insurance, however if the private insurance company learned that you have major injuries, where if you HAD used a seat belt they wouldn't have been as extensive (and costly) they might be less willing to pay to all of the medical costs. In short, you can't ask for total freedom and be unwilling to pay for that freedom.

Personally I always wear seat belts, having been in several vehicle accidents, I know it only a matter of time before you hit something or something hits you.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:02 AM

5,345 posts, read 14,216,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Was talking to a Minnesota State Highway Patrolman today during a break at a safety meeting. He was saying that when Herb Brooks (Miracle on Ice coach) died in a car accident in Forest Lake, MN he was not wearing his seatbelt.

He fell asleep behind the wheel on the freeway, drifted into the ditch and then panicked and over-corrected and rolled the van. He was thrown to the other side of the van. The van rolled twice and ended up sitting on it's tires in the ditch. Only problem the roof caved in and crushed Herb's chest.

If he would have worn a seatbelt he would have opened the driver's door and walked away as the driver's side was not damaged.

So if you don't wear one, what is your reason?
I don't want to wear one in town. I am going 30 mph and don't need it. Unfortunately my new Ram has such an annoying and relentless dinger that I have to put it on.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 AM

5,345 posts, read 14,216,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlroadster View Post
A seat belt saved my life when my car ran into a tree at 50+mph. So there should be no reason why you shouldn't wear a seatbelt.
How did your car run into a tree? Possessed?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 AM

178 posts, read 269,712 times
me and my friend were in a chevy Malibu and i wasnt wearing a seatbelt, he took a corner to fast and we rolled the car three times. the only reason i survived was because my friend caught me in midair. i vowed to wear my seatbelt whenever in a vehicle from then on.....that lasted about a week. but now my girlfriend makes me.....or else

Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 AM

6,350 posts, read 21,618,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
Me too ...

I am waiting for someone to post about a one in 6 trillion accident where wearing the seat-belt would have been worse.
I'm with you guys; ABSOLUTELY the first hing I do when I get into a vehicle.

Having said that, I'm not real crazy about the "revenue enhancement" opportunity afforded to law enforcement agencies.

Trackwatch, I've got one for you: During the reconstruction of the I-70/I-75 interchange near Dayton, OH there was a bad wreck where a woman driving a Chevy Astro van stopped behind a big truck in the construction zone. Driver of big truck # 2 didn't see the stopped traffic. Despite the impact of the crash, the Astro's crumple zones worked and the young woman walked away unscathed. On the front page of the Dayton Daily News, she was quoted as saying that she was glad she wasn't wearing a seat belt because she was able to get out of the van so fast...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 04-28-2012 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,727,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
I don't want to wear one in town. I am going 30 mph and don't need it. Unfortunately my new Ram has such an annoying and relentless dinger that I have to put it on.
The amount of misinformation in this thread is astounding.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 AM

30,705 posts, read 80,357,257 times
If you have yu seat tipped all the way back, the seat belt will do almost nothing for you. You will slide right out from under it. In that situation, it can catch your head and break your neck. Still we wear them even withthe seats tipped back. I wonder if we would be better off not wearing them in that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive