Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 AM

469 posts, read 1,644,357 times

Advertisements

I am looking at future cars, in particular the brands Hyundai and Kia. What I would like to know from someone(s) who have extensive car knowledge, what is the difference between a 14-17k vehicle with a 40mph average VS. a "hybrid" vehicle with a 40mph average. I would appreciate a thorough education. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 AM

934 posts, read 1,944,669 times
well, to start with, "mph" means Miles Per Hour, as in speed. Both of your vehicles seem pretty slow to me.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:49 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,859,704 times
Gosh, I don't even know how to calculate my average MPH. Speed limit is 65 on the highway (In my state), and its 30 on most residential streets but if I'm stuck in traffic it can be much less. I suppose it depends on whether I'm stuck in town or on a long highway drive.

Uhhh, what was the question again?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:00 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,587,730 times
Perhaps he or she meant MPG---not really sure.

However, if I'm comprehending this question correctly, a 40MPG non-hybrid sedan will sticker for $3,000-$4,000 less than the hybrid version of the same model.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 AM

687 posts, read 1,382,752 times
I'm sure he meant miles per gallon. I would definitely choose a regular gasoline car that got 40 mpg over an electric hybrid that got 40 mpg. You are paying a big premium for a hybrid so the similarly priced gasoline car will be much nicer/newer. And then you have the higher expense and hassle of repairing the hybrid.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,390,616 times
I'm sure we're talking Miles Per GALLON here...

Anyway, a hybrid car basically has an "electric over gas" (or diesel) motor, and a large expensive battery pack. It recharges when the car is going downhill. The electric motor typically kicks in only when needed - particularly during acceleration. Hybrids really shine in city driving. In fact, most get better city mpg's than highway mpg's.

My personal opinion is that hybrids are complicated, and potentially VERY expensive to own & operate (this opinion is obviously not shared by tens of thousands of Prius owners). I would rather drive a Volkswagen TDI that gets about the same mileage, but has been a proven performer for decades.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 AM

469 posts, read 1,644,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundman View Post
I'm sure he meant miles per gallon. I would definitely choose a regular gasoline car that got 40 mpg over an electric hybrid that got 40 mpg. You are paying a big premium for a hybrid so the similarly priced gasoline car will be much nicer/newer. And then you have the higher expense and hassle of repairing the hybrid.
Thank you for not providing a sarcastic answer like the aforementioned. I obviously meant MPG. I hope you may help answer a couple of my questions.

1. What are "hybrids" and why are they so much costlier than non-hybrid vehicles which receive the same MPG?
2. Are hybrids worth the steep increase in price in face of the gas prices which are soaring and no one is complaining about?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,859,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
Thank you for not providing a sarcastic answer like the aforementioned. I obviously meant MPG. I hope you may help answer a couple of my questions.

1. What are "hybrids" and why are they so much costlier than non-hybrid vehicles which receive the same MPG?
2. Are hybrids worth the steep increase in price in face of the gas prices which are soaring and no one is complaining about?
The aforementioned posts weren't meant to be sarcastic. Remember, not everyone here is a native English speaker. Please remember to proof-read your post carefully before you submit it; it'll keep things accurate and easier to read.

To answer your question, hybrids incorporate an electric motor into the drivetrain to help move the vehicle. Some hybrids will even shut off the gas engine while the car is stopped in traffic and will use only the electric motor to get the car moving again. Others use the electric motor to give a little boost to the gas engine while accelerating, so the gas engine can be made smaller and use less gas. A large battery is included as part of the system and the car automatically recharges the battery when its coasting.

Hybrids cost more due to their added complexity and due to all the added equipment, particularly the electric motor and batteries. The batteries are also heavy and take up space. Is a hybrid car ideal for everyone? Perhaps not. If you live in a crowded city with lots of traffic, the hybrid might save you lots of fuel because it shuts off the gas engine while stopped in traffic. On the other hand, if all your driving is rural highway driving, the added efficiency of the hybrid will be negligible.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:38 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,826,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post

Check out this thread, in particular page 4 and page 6 which explain a bunch of the differences and then actually run the math out on cost of ownership and driving on a fuel efficient gas vs. diesel vs. hybrid. That comparo is on page 6.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...vehicle-4.html

Old 03-13-2012, 01:09 PM

25,901 posts, read 16,627,832 times
Is there still a federal tax credit for hybrid vehicles? Maybe that will make up for the difference and then some. I know if you buy a Nissan Leaf (100% elec) you get something like $7,000 tax credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive