Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:18 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,039,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
AFAIK the only hybrid that qualifies as the Volt, and only because it meets the technical definition of an electric car (16kwh battery capacity). What's more, it's a nonrefundable credit, meaning you won't get money back over and above your total income tax liabiity. Since few households have an income tax bill of $7,500 or more, few buyers will actually get to take full advantage of the tax credit.

Actually buyers that can afford a Volt will have a tax liability well over 7500. Volt isn't the only one btw.

Qualified Vehicles Acquired after 12-31-2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,759,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Check out the new Elantra; a fully loaded one including Bluetooth stickers for just at $24K, and the hwy MPG estimate is 40 MPG.
There, I fixed it for you.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:40 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Actually buyers that can afford a Volt will have a tax liability well over 7500.
My point stands -- very few households can actually take full advantage of the credit. The number of households that can afford a nominally $32,000 vehicle (after credits) is quite a bit higher than those with anything approaching a $7,500 federal income tax bill. Either way, it's basically a giveaway to those who least need giveaways, most of whom probably wouldn't even consider a Volt.

Quote:
Volt isn't the only one btw.

Qualified Vehicles Acquired after 12-31-2009
I only saw one other hybrid on that list (the Prius plugin) and it doesn't qualify for the $7,500 credit.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:38 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,775 posts, read 58,229,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
I am looking at future cars,..What I would like to know from someone(s) who have extensive car knowledge, what is the difference between a 14-17k vehicle with a 40mph average VS. a "hybrid" vehicle with a 40mph average. !
Depends significantly on your driving requirements and aptitude . desire for maint / technology.

Miles / yr
City or highway?
How long to you typically keep vehicles?
Do you ever tow?

Basically, the hybrid will be more expensive to buy and maintain and POTENTIALLY a LOT more troublesome during your ownership period (if you are a 'long-term' buyer / holder.

I could never deal with the limited range and mini-fuel-tanks of hybrids (or technology requirements). I live / work / rec-'reate in the boonies and recently saw the grief it took to get a Prius out of a campground in Northern NM Once out, I think it was bound for Denver on the back of a VERY expensive tow truck. It took a 4x4 w/ winch and a flatbed to drag it to a position to get it accessble, THEN transferred to a tow (roll-back) truck once it got to town.

No tows in my 3 mil mile fleet history w/ 50 mpg cars. ...
50mpg since 1976, no dinosaurs or OPEC required

Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,913,521 times
Get a 2012 Mustang V6 6 speed for ~$21,000. 0-60 in about 5 seconds and 31MPG highway.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,039,421 times
Quote:
My point stands -- very few households can actually take full advantage of the credit. The number of households that can afford a nominally $32,000 vehicle (after credits) is quite a bit higher than those with anything approaching a $7,500 federal income tax bill. Either way, it's basically a giveaway to those who least need giveaways, most of whom probably wouldn't even consider a Volt.

I only saw one other hybrid on that list (the Prius plugin) and it doesn't qualify for the $7,500 credit.

No way, I bet the opposite. You actually think more people can "afford" a 40k car then who don't give more than 7500 in federal taxes after all deductions? I find that hard to believe.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:17 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,505,640 times
Quote:

The prius plug in does qualify for somewhere between 3k And 6k in tax ctedits.. And re Prius pricing in general, a 50mpg Prius c starts at less than $18k, and a 40mpg, 200hp camry hybrid camry starts at under $26k, about 4k more than a 4cly. And about $2500 more than a 6.

So much misinformation on this thread about maintance and battery life/performance. The numbers are avalaible for those willing to read, with over 12 years of data. NJGOAT dud a great cost break down based on REAL NUMBERS.. its not rocket science to plug the numbers in and make a more knowledgeable assesment instead of relying on old wives tsles.. lol

Old 03-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
The prius plug in does qualify for somewhere between 3k And 6k in tax ctedits..
Nope. $2,500. At least this credit is within reach of most families.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
No way, I bet the opposite. You actually think more people can "afford" a 40k car then who don't give more than 7500 in federal taxes after all deductions? I find that hard to believe.
For a married couple with a kid or two, household income can break into 6 digits and they still wouldn't be particularly close to $7,500 in total federal income tax liability -- and that's using the standard deduction, never mind itemizing. So yea, I do actually think quite a bit more households can afford a "nominally" 33K car or even a 40K car than have $7,500 in federal tax liabilities.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:14 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,191,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Basically, the hybrid will be more expensive to buy and maintain and POTENTIALLY a LOT more troublesome during your ownership period (if you are a 'long-term' buyer / holder.

I could never deal with the limited range and mini-fuel-tanks of hybrids (or technology requirements). I live / work / rec-'reate in the boonies and recently saw the grief it took to get a Prius out of a campground in Northern NM Once out, I think it was bound for Denver on the back of a VERY expensive tow truck. It took a 4x4 w/ winch and a flatbed to drag it to a position to get it accessble, THEN transferred to a tow (roll-back) truck once it got to town.

No tows in my 3 mil mile fleet history w/ 50 mpg cars. ...
50mpg since 1976, no dinosaurs or OPEC required
Clearly you're ignorant about hybrids so I'll fill you in.

Historically, hybrids have shown to require no more maintenance or expenses during ownership than traditional cars.

Hybrids don't have limited range or mini-fuel-tanks. My hybrid has a 20 gallon tank and I pull 600 to 700 miles on it depending on my driving pattern.

You should consider some research rather than talking about things you don't know anything about.

Now, a 1976 diesel is a primitive compared to modern cars. Sure, they can get you from A to B, but are loud, have horrible emissions, and don't have modern technology. Very few people would be satisfied with one. Someone, such as the OP, who might be considering a hybrid or a small modern vehicle is not going to settle for a piece of crap 1976 diesel car. Frankly, they have higher standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive