Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:40 PM

469 posts, read 1,642,131 times

Advertisements

I would like to potentially purchase a vehicle based upon:
1. Warranty:
2. Gas/Oil type:
3. Miles per gallon
4. Insurance premium:
5. Type of vehicle:

I have narrowed it down to the brands Hyundai and Kia being as both companies offer vehicles which have the longest running warranties on the market. Additionally, both companies offer vehicles which run on regular gas and non-synthetic oil.

From what I have read thus far, I have absolutely no interest in purchasing a diesel vehicle due to the climbing price of gas. Additionally, diesel is always the most expensive form of fuel. Do purchasers of hybrid vehicles continue to receive tax credits, or essentially money back, from their environmentally friendly purchase? I read both yes and no within this thread. If it is possible for me to receive thousand back, it may be worth the purchase. Plus, I have read the batteries usually last for years upon years.

Currently, my future vehicle will more than likely be financed, and so far I feel that the Hyundai Accent is my best choice. I would like to know if the Hyundai Accent is able to receive over 40 MPG and if it runs on regular gas. Thirdly, are the insurance premiums low?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,775 posts, read 58,229,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Clearly you're ignorant about hybrids so I'll fill you in.

.... [b] My hybrid ...B]You should consider some research rather than talking about things you don't know anything about.

Now, a 1976 diesel is a primitive compared .... Someone, such as the OP, who might be considering a hybrid or a small modern vehicle is not going to settle for a piece of crap 1976 diesel car. Frankly, they have higher standards.
Oh, ouch, such tender nerves for a hybrid owner (no, problem, I know all about it living in the pious captial of USA.... PDX... )

Actually I built hybrids and full eletrics in the 1970's, so I will admit I'm a bit 'old', BUT, no need to feel stuck in $35 -1970's Rabbit. My Passats are all modern and stuff and get 52 MPG @ 80 MPH w/ AC. Regretfully, they set me back almost $2000 !!! You can get 50 mpg (No OPEC required) sidecurtain airbag Jettas if your tender ego needs to feel 'Modernized'.

I could never live with a mire 600 mile range in the many places I travel (not NJ). and as mentioned, witnessing the effort to tow a pious out of a NM campground was a day's activity that could have been better spent for those po'-folk.

Thx for your infant wisdom, but I will stick with Sharkey as my guide, not (S)narky (thx anyway)
http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm

Old 03-19-2012, 08:58 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,971,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
I am looking at future cars, in particular the brands Hyundai and Kia. What I would like to know from someone(s) who have extensive car knowledge, what is the difference between a 14-17k vehicle with a 40mph average VS. a "hybrid" vehicle with a 40mph average. I would appreciate a thorough education. Thank you!

Well that shows the type of people that buy hybrids

Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,191,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Oh, ouch, such tender nerves for a hybrid owner (no, problem, I know all about it living in the pious captial of USA.... PDX... )

Actually I built hybrids and full eletrics in the 1970's, so I will admit I'm a bit 'old', BUT, no need to feel stuck in $35 -1970's Rabbit. My Passats are all modern and stuff and get 52 MPG @ 80 MPH w/ AC. Regretfully, they set me back almost $2000 !!! You can get 50 mpg (No OPEC required) sidecurtain airbag Jettas if your tender ego needs to feel 'Modernized'.

I could never live with a mire 600 mile range in the many places I travel (not NJ). and as mentioned, witnessing the effort to tow a pious out of a NM campground was a day's activity that could have been better spent for those po'-folk.

Thx for your infant wisdom, but I will stick with Sharkey as my guide, not (S)narky (thx anyway)
http://www.mrsharkey.com/pusher.htm
There's no point in discussing this with you as you seemed quite brainwashed or under the influence of your diesel fumes. I'll make a few comments.

We have both a Passat and Jettas (ugh, so slow) in the family. They're fine cars (just not reliable). I'm not arguing otherwise. But you're really showing you're lack of knowledge when discussing hybrids. You bring up one experience with a Prius, but that's anecdotal. I don't have a prius, so I don't know much about it other than it being rated as one of the most reliable cars.

The hybrids you built in the 70s are nothing like the modern high tech hybrids. 99.9% of the population will never need more than a 600 mile range on a vehicle.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
1. Warranty:
2. Gas/Oil type:
3. Miles per gallon
4. Insurance premium:
5. Type of vehicle:

I have narrowed it down to the brands Hyundai and Kia being as both companies offer vehicles which have the longest running warranties on the market. Additionally, both companies offer vehicles which run on regular gas and non-synthetic oil.

From what I have read thus far, I have absolutely no interest in purchasing a diesel vehicle due to the climbing price of gas. Additionally, diesel is always the most expensive form of fuel. Do purchasers of hybrid vehicles continue to receive tax credits, or essentially money back, from their environmentally friendly purchase? I read both yes and no within this thread. If it is possible for me to receive thousand back, it may be worth the purchase. Plus, I have read the batteries usually last for years upon years.

Currently, my future vehicle will more than likely be financed, and so far I feel that the Hyundai Accent is my best choice. I would like to know if the Hyundai Accent is able to receive over 40 MPG and if it runs on regular gas. Thirdly, are the insurance premiums low?
I agree with you. Diesel is not a good choice for most people. The Hyundai Accent has a rating of 40mpg on the highway. If you drive mostly highway (non-stop at 50+mph) and prefer a gasoline powered vehicle, the Accent may be a good fit.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I am looking at future cars, in particular the brands Hyundai and Kia. What I would like to know from someone(s) who have extensive car knowledge, what is the difference between a 14-17k vehicle with a 40mph average VS. a "hybrid" vehicle with a 40mph average. I would appreciate a thorough education. Thank you!
The simplest answer is that the Hybrids target a different audience. If you look at the Ford Fusion Hybrid which achieves 41mpg, it is a higher level car than, say a Hyundai Accent. It's larger, more powerful, and offers additional amenities at the same fuel efficiency. Different cars for different needs. Most cars the size of a fusion do not pull in that kind of mpg in both city/highway average.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:32 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,504,652 times
Quote:
1. Warranty:
2. Gas/Oil type:
3. Miles per gallon
4. Insurance premium:
5. Type of vehicle:

I don't personally own a Kia or Hyundai, but I have several people I know who drive late model Sonatas and Optimas. None of them report getting 40 mpg on the highway out of their vehicles. For some reason, the EPA mileage figures for the Hyundai and Kia models seem to significantly overstate real world fuel economy--much more so than other makes or models. In defense of diesels (though I'm not impressed with reliability record of some of the VW models--problems not being with engine itself, however), most diesel vehicle's real world fuel economy will meet or exceed the EPA ratings. As an example, a co-worker drove a VW TDI for several years that was EPA rated at 45 mpg highway. He consistently got over 50 mpg on the highway, and seldom dropped below 42 mpg with a lot of city driving.

For me, I drive a decade-old mid-size 4-cylinder Japanese sedan that was EPA-rated at 24 mpg city 32 mpg highway (it would have a lower EPA rating under the procedure used by EPA today). Its city fuel economy is pretty much right on the EPA rating, but on the highway--if I keep my speed at 65 mph or under--it will get 38-40 mpg with regularity. Up the speed to 75 mph, and the economy will drop to 34-36 mpg. All of that at altitudes over 5,000 ft., with a lot of mountain driving included.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,223,056 times
Quote:
1. Warranty:
2. Gas/Oil type:
3. Miles per gallon
4. Insurance premium:
5. Type of vehicle:

For many of the items you asked about in bold, you can look this up yourself on the Hyundai website. Same thing about tax credits. Google hybrid tax credit and you will learn exactly what you want to know from the IRS instead of us on a message board.

I suggest you evaluate your cars "powertrain blind."

Car A costs $25K. It gets 50 MPG in the city and 48 MPG on the highway. It uses regular gas. It is reliable, but will need a major service at 150,000 miles that costs about $3000. Some say this car is a bit slow.

Car B costs $20K. It gets 28 MPG in the city, and 38 MPG on the highway. It uses regular gas. It is also reliable. It may or may not need major service around 150,000 miles. Many say this car is peppy.

Car C costs $22K. It gets 28 MPG in the city, and 42 MPG on the highway. It uses expensive gas. It has mixed reliability. This car is considered a bit sluggish.

Based on your needs and budget, which is a better choice?

Old 03-20-2012, 11:35 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,504,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Car A costs $25K. It gets 50 MPG in the city and 48 MPG on the highway. It uses regular gas. It is reliable, but will need a major service at 150,000 miles that costs about $3000. Some say this car is a bit slow.
You can only be talking about the Prius with this statement. I would like to know where you get the data that says that it will need a "major service" at 150K--presumably meaning a replacement of its battery pack. I've yet to read ANYWHERE that replacements of battery packs are occurring in Prius's with any regularity at that mileage--even the first ones sold in the US that were much more "crude" than the current models. In fact, what has been published is that there are many Prius's that have been used in severe service--in-city courier vehicles, taxicabs, etc.--that have gone more than 200K miles without any battery failures requiring replacement.

I'm not blindly defending the Prius--for most people, the higher initial cost may negate the fuel economy advantage--but I think it is misinformation to for people to say that the battery pack will be an absolute necessity to replace at 150K miles, when there is no data to support the claim.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
When you were saying 50MPG, I thought you were discussing the Prius... but then you mentioned a $3000 major service and that threw it off. What care are you discussing here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive