Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 05:25 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminofitall View Post
The warranty is a scam. Google it.
I'm a member on various Hyundai forums and the warranty is generally well regarded by owners. The cars are so reliable owners rarely need to use it but when they do, everything is covered without issue unless you have a highly modified car or run across a particularly picky dealer (they exist with all makes). It's a great warranty but more importantly it tells you the cars are engineered to outlast it. You have to understand that they well many millions of cars over the years and people who have a great warranty experience don't make the effort to complain online as much as people who run into a problem do. I use Yelp for restaurant reviews and I always leave a bad review when the experience is poor but I rarely leave positive reviews. Just human nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 06:43 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
I decided against a Honda or Toyota when buying a new SUV earlier this year. I would have chosen the Santa Fe if a nice one was inside my price range. If you don't plan to keep the car more than 5 years, better you get a car that is fun to drive than a bland one like Honda or Toyota. I wouldn't doubt for a second that Hyundai has just as much chance to get to 100k as Honda or Toyota these days.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
The warranty is not bumper to bumper as many seem to think.

It is only a powertrain warranty.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:08 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,075,941 times
Hyundai not only offers Americas best car warranty, Hyundai is more reliable than any American cars.

Check out the Hyundai Equus.... A 60k car that screams premium and luxury. Hyundai needs to create a subdivision soon like Lexus and Acura.

Oh, Honda's downfall started when they decided to make some of their cars here in the US.... In the US, quality isn't a priority. Things like fender gap, and other thing being out of spec gets a pass in the US, where in Japan, it would get a fail.

Something to do with expecting too much from union employees.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:25 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Hyundai not only offers Americas best car warranty, Hyundai is more reliable than any American cars.

Check out the Hyundai Equus.... A 60k car that screams premium and luxury. Hyundai needs to create a subdivision soon like Lexus and Acura.

Oh, Honda's downfall started when they decided to make some of their cars here in the US.... In the US, quality isn't a priority. Things like fender gap, and other thing being out of spec gets a pass in the US, where in Japan, it would get a fail.

I have a 2012 Elantra and like most in here it has been completely reliable. I've taken it in for regular maintenance thus far and that is it. I've had less issues 4 years in with this car than I did my Honda Civic. I know there's some variability and Honda makes good cars but so far so good and in terms of quality/reliability I really can't fault Hyundai.

To your point about American built cars - I'm not sure if my reliable Hyundai was built in South Korea it would be even more reliable but it was built at Hyundai's plant in Alabama so I'd be cautious about generalizing the lack of quality of American built cars.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post

Which U.S. Honda plants are unionized?

Old 06-25-2015, 06:59 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,623,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
The warranty is not bumper to bumper as many seem to think.

It is only a powertrain warranty.
The 10 year warranty is powertrain only. The 5 year warranty is bumper-to-bumper, like most people think.

Hyundai made an interesting decision in making the 10 year powertrain warranty non-transferrable, it's limited to the original owner. Seems like a move to attempt to keep them from flooding the used car market after the 5 year warranty is up.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Hyundai is having problems with some 2011-2012 model vehicles with 2.4 and 2.0T engines. For some reason they are having issues with sludge and spun rod bearings. Class action lawsuit has been filed, so we'll just have to see how it goes.

Old 06-26-2015, 10:02 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Hyundai is having problems with some 2011-2012 model vehicles with 2.4 and 2.0T engines. For some reason they are having issues with sludge and spun rod bearings. Class action lawsuit has been filed, so we'll just have to see how it goes.
Interesting, I wonder how many cars and what the reason is. Reminds me of the settlement Toyota made for the 3.5million Toyota/Lexus cars that had engine oil sludge issues.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:30 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyls70 View Post
I would venture to guess that that this question was posed by someone who is trying to increase sales for a car company he/she works for. Very common on the internet.... If every Hyundai owner here defends the quality and reliability of their Hyundai (I own one too - best purchase I ever made) and the response is always to tell you that it is still a piece of ****, then I can only assume that the purpose for this particular thread is to boost sales for a competitor.

We Hyundai owners know very well, how affordable, dependable and trustworthy our automobiles are. No point in debating it. It is like talking to a Democrat who seems to think, "If I say it often enough, it will be true." And really, they just sound like a bunch of little children who just cannot stand to have someone disagree with them BASED ON FACTS. In this case... our facts are the fact that Hyundai has achieved the top rating. And we own them and have learned through our experience that they are indeed an EXCELLENT vehicle. Why argue? Pointless.
So you really think the opening poster works for Toyota or Honda and started this thread with the sole intention of boosting sales for companies that sell over a million cars a year? Really? You actually think Honda's sales will be effected by a thread like this on a message board?

Awesome deduction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive