Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 12:25 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,290,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
The Hyundai Genesis has a MSRP of $34-47k, and the Equus is $59-66k. That places those two models squarely into comparison with every Lexus cars short of the top-of-the-line LS model.
Agreed, but I also agree with those who say Hyundais are reliable. Mine was very reliable but the quality was clearly lacking and you can see why they are priced well below competitors. Like many, when I bought it, I thought I was getting a steal. I loved the test drive and for 30K, I assumed I was getting a Lexus-level car for a dirt cheap price. As I drove the car, I recognized the differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 05:18 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,023 times
Honda or Toyota (only referring to the brands not their entire "family" of brands) doesn't have one car that I want to buy under that brand. Hyundai has one (the Genesis Coupe). So for me, it's not as good as. It is better. The only thing stopping me from buying one is that I have 4 cars that I own and there is just no need for me to own a 5th.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:47 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Toyota’s today certainly don't scream superior quality and material quality in modern Hyundai's is equivalent if not better in many cases. I've heard a good number of ride quality complains coming from new Camry/Accord owners as well.
I own a '12 Sonata, but I rented a '12 Camry last October to drive on vacation. As far as ride quality, comfort, and drivetrain refinement is concerned, I think the Camry is superior. I went with the Sonata because I liked the styling, the dash layout, and the fact that it has 198hp. In the long run I may wish I had went with the Camry, but only time will tell.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I own a '12 Sonata, but I rented a '12 Camry last October to drive on vacation. As far as ride quality, comfort, and drivetrain refinement is concerned, I think the Camry is superior. I went with the Sonata because I liked the styling, the dash layout, and the fact that it has 198hp. In the long run I may wish I had went with the Camry, but only time will tell.
It's interesting to see/hear everyone's perspectives. I would have picked the Sonata for the same reasons you listed (interior/exterior styling, drive train) except I would prefer the 274hp turbo four. I may not be the best judge of comfort/ride since I prefer stiffer suspension setups (all my cars have been lowered) but the Sonata's that I've been in rode just fine as far as I'm concerned. At the very least, considering the rate at which Hyundai has been advancing we're bound to see even more improvement with the next generation Sonata.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
It's interesting to see/hear everyone's perspectives. I would have picked the Sonata for the same reasons you listed (interior/exterior styling, drive train) except I would prefer the 274hp turbo four. I may not be the best judge of comfort/ride since I prefer stiffer suspension setups (all my cars have been lowered) but the Sonata's that I've been in rode just fine as far as I'm concerned. At the very least, considering the rate at which Hyundai has been advancing we're bound to see even more improvement with the next generation Sonata.
I liked the steering in the Camry better than Sonata, it feels much more controlled and not so twitchy. I also like Toyotas 6 speed automatic better than Hyundai's, it has better shift feel IMO (quicker shifts). The seats in the Camry are also much more comfortable with better thigh support than Sonata's.

OTOH, the 2.4 GDI engine in my Sonata feels like its much more powerful than the 2.5 in the Camry, and probably smoother at higher RPMs too. Passing other cars in my Sonata is a breeze.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:35 AM

56 posts, read 134,032 times
I have a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe that's approaching 120k miles and since day one all I had to do was regular maintenance.
Is that good enough reliability for you?

Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
At the end of the day, Hyundai is real competitor now with quality products. Whether or not a person has a prejudice against the brand due to its past only serves to limit that buyer when it comes to a viable option for a car purchase.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:44 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
I haven't read all 16 pages of posts. Just wanted to say my husband is on his 3rd Hyundai (currently in a 2012 Genesis Coupe) and has loved them all, and my ILs both have Hyundais (Santa Fe and Veracruz) and they love theirs. None have had any reliability issues at all. And FIL just bought a boat and is surprisingly happy with how his Santa Fe tows it.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 PM

382 posts, read 803,769 times
1. One thing I don't understand is why didn't Hyundai make a separate "higher end" brand and call it Genesis??? If they did, the Genesis brand would be "head to head" with B.M.W., Mercedes, etc.
2. Can all the Hyundai haters afford a new Hyundai???
3. I have a 2012 Santa Fe and am thinking about getting the Geneis coupe as toy.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
Hyundai was founded in 1986, and admittedly were junk. The first good quality Hyundais appeared in the mid-1990s as their quality control improved, and by 2000 they were confident enough to back their cars up with America's Best Warranty, as the commercials of the time said. (Yeah I was 7 in 2000 but I remember). They've been building quality cars for a while. They are now where Honda and Toyota was in the '80s in quality - near the top and quickly gaining respect. But like their Japanese forebears thirty years ago, they have to shake off the "stench" of their earlier cars' quality. I highly commend Hyundai for their efforts to improve quality and build great cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive