Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 04:45 AM

16,286 posts, read 10,431,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Rubbish. My 2005 Honda Accord is at 145k with no major issues at all. Engine runs like it has another 150k in it. The 5-speed is one of the smoother manuals I've driven. I'd say Honda still has it. That's not to say that a new Hyundai won't return similar reliability, but you can still get a rock solid Honda.
You do realize your Honda was nearly 9 years old when you wrote this post right? The mechanic said "newer' so I'm thinking he meant newer than yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:47 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,026,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Rubbish. My 2005 Honda Accord is at 145k with no major issues at all. Engine runs like it has another 150k in it. The 5-speed is one of the smoother manuals I've driven. I'd say Honda still has it. That's not to say that a new Hyundai won't return similar reliability, but you can still get a rock solid Honda.
We had a 2008 Accord, which IMO was not a very well engineered car at all. I am sure the engine would have lasted a very long time, if I wanted to put up with some of the other problems (anything from door seals which did not fit the door openings correctly, to the myriad of problems it had with brakes... particularly rear ones... which is a well known issue with early 8th gen Accords).

Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 PM

419 posts, read 626,621 times
its not better than toyota and honda. But its cheap and carry lengthy warranty.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,107,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
its not better than toyota and honda. But its cheap and carry lengthy warranty.
Not better in what way? They carry a lengthy warranty because the parts have been engineered to outlast it.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
+1 on the Genesis.

That is one really nice looking car! Truly one of the nicest and sportiest designs I've seen in awhile (for a reasonably priced car, that is).

Like many people though, I've reluctant when it comes to Korean cars. Yes, Hyundai has made some strides in terms of reliability and build quality.

Just not sure I'm ready to commit to a $25k+ car that I'm wary about holding up after the first 1-2 years.

Any current Hyundai Genesis 2.0T or V6 model owners out there who can chime in with their thoughts on the car?
I own a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T RSPEC which has 40k miles on it now (bought new). No faults with the car, I plan to own it for a very long time due to unique styling and relatively low production numbers.

On the other hand, we just replaced my wife's 2002 Accord as her transmission was on its way out at 150k miles.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:07 PM

4 posts, read 7,599 times
Good question, I personally am a fan of Honda, and my Honda has treated me well so far.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Not better in what way? They carry a lengthy warranty because the parts have been engineered to outlast it.
handling driving dynamic. Most importantly the engine, perhaps in 5 years they will catch with big guys.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
handling driving dynamic. Most importantly the engine, perhaps in 5 years they will catch with big guys.
Honda and Toyota aren't generally known for their driving dynamics or good handling. I think Hyundai does fine in this regard although they are always improving things like NVH and overall harshness of the suspension. The early reviews for the 2015 Genesis state that the suspension tuning is downright impressive and better than the already well regarded first generation Genesis. Hyundai has been up there with regards to engine development for some time with their 420hp 5.0L V8 and 310hp 3.8L V6 considered to be quite good. The only thing Toyota/Honda have going for them are perception as competing products have caught up long ago in the areas that matter. That's not to say that Toyota/Honda aren't still reliable because they aren't bad in this regard but the competition is just as good.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Honda and Toyota aren't generally known for their driving dynamics or good handling. I think Hyundai does fine in this regard although they are always improving things like NVH and overall harshness of the suspension. The early reviews for the 2015 Genesis state that the suspension tuning is downright impressive and better than the already well regarded first generation Genesis. Hyundai has been up there with regards to engine development for some time with their 420hp 5.0L V8 and 310hp 3.8L V6 considered to be quite good. The only thing Toyota/Honda have going for them are perception as competing products have caught up long ago in the areas that matter. That's not to say that Toyota/Honda aren't still reliable because they aren't bad in this regard but the competition is just as good.
Try to redline it, push it hard hyunda engine feels like going to explode. Their engines are not up to bar of big guys'. Specially Nissan V engine, those are world class award wining engines. Its not easy to catch up with big guys, years of chassis tweaking, engine placement etc... They will eventually catch up, just need more time.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Try to redline it, push it hard hyunda engine feels like going to explode. Their engines are not up to bar of big guys'. Specially Nissan V engine, those are world class award wining engines. Its not easy to catch up with big guys, years of chassis tweaking, engine placement etc... They will eventually catch up, just need more time.
They are already there. I personally have a 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T with an upgraded turbo (along with supporting mods) and its a beast that revs to 7200rpm quite often (the turbo is a Tomei M7960 if it makes any difference). The 3.8L V6 in the Genesis and Genesis Coupe are known to be very smooth and more importantly great sounding motors. My previous car was an Infiniti G35 with Nissan's VQ35 and it was a good engine but reviewers have been saying for years that the VQ too harsh compared to other modern engines. I've also owned a 1995 300ZX with Nissans VG30TT which was a great car. For smoothness the I6 in my 2007 BMW 530i is tough to beat too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive