Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 08:29 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times

Advertisements

They tried to see me that crap at the VW dealership along with their tinted windows.
I said no thanks. Im guessng that $800 is all margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 20,277 times
If you have your doubts check out this video. P.S. the $800 goes to pay for the warranty. The cost of the product itself is minimal, mostly labor.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boQ5unUxjuY]Simoniz GlassCoat Field Test (PFT) - YouTube[/url]

Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xolker View Post
I work at a dealership myself. The reason they were able to apply the Simoniz package for free is because they didn't apply an actual warranty. The product itself only costs $60 plus whatever they pay to the person applying it (I make $30$ per Simoniz plus my hourly rate). The reason they were trying to charge you $800 is because of the 7 year warranty.
I agree with this.

But I've no experience with Simoniz. The various products I've dealt with at the dealers I've worked for all say that you have to at least apply it once every six months. I've never dealt with one that claims to stay on the car for 5-7 years with just one application.

Even still, I've seen the companies come through with claims like painting hoods and buper covers damaged from love bugs or bird droppings. So call it a scam all you want it is a real product with a real gaurantee backed by legal documents. What it is actually worth, well I suppose that's up to you.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 20,063 times
Default yes

I am a professional detailer... full time... and I apply the simo. While I don't believe it will actually last the 7 years it says it will... I have detailed cars that I sealed a few years ago and they look just aws good as they did when I sealed it... albeit after I used an auto scrub pad ... but none of them had any acid rain ate into them, nor any bug scars orbird crap or tree sap. In my professional opinion.... yes it is worth it...

And the best paste wax u can get is auto magic easy off wax no. 15 from awc, much better than the mcguires that u can buy at walmart. This stuff is only availbale from auto magic distributors.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:02 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Was I supposed to wax my car?

It is 17 years old and still looks new. What does wax do?

Old 03-03-2012, 11:03 AM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
Exterior and Interior services sold @ vehicle delivery is a big profit area for dealers. As margins with new vehicles shrink, the dealers try to sale something to make up the lost profit. How do you think car dealers pay for those huge fancy dealerships?
Anyway, these detail related services are good products, but for what price? What is the warranty?
Are you required to come back so often for a reapply and at what cost? If you get a reapply and a full detail every 6 months, something to think about if you get your car serviced there.
Also if you like the service, do not pay their price, offer them 50% off and work from there.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 PM

1 posts, read 20,003 times
Default Glasscoat

I just watched a TV segment on "Modern Marvels" that explain that the Simionize company developed "glasscoat" after a lot of research in testing 500 different combinations. They explained that the product forms a bond with the paint and makes water bead up and roll off, and does such a great job that it will last for 7 years. I have an 11 year old truck. I went to the car wash a year ago and they charge me a lot to "clay" my vehicle. It looked great, but of course I went to an auto supply store and found the clay material "Mothers" was one of the brands I saw, for about $20 bucks or so. I did it myself, it was easy to clean only required lots of elbow grease! I just heard about the glasscoat, but I'm going to find it and try it out. My truck looks brand new, which is shocking to me, based on how poorly previous vehicle paint jobs lasted.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:21 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
Just wax-claybar your car a few times a year and save the 800 bucks.The video is a paid ad by simioniz!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:24 AM

1 posts, read 19,740 times
Default Will I be able to wax my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
My question is, 6 months from now, will I be able to wax my car? Meaning, will this crap they put on interfere with anything in the future?
Yes you should have no problem waxing your car 6 months from now actually you can go ahead and when you go to a car wash it wouldn't hurt to get a wax all it will do is make whatever you have on there last longer... I was a detail manager of a large carwash business for over 10 years and have been detailing cars now for more than 25 years now... I would recommend a good Carnuba wax or some of the new high tech waxes that are out now.. Mequirers or Mothers are two very fine wax companies....Good Luck!!

Old 04-28-2012, 03:22 PM

2 posts, read 23,678 times
I used to work at a dealership...and if I remember correctly somebody told me the box of Glasscoat the dealership buys costs $125 dollars and does 25 cars....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive