Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 PM

2 posts, read 37,381 times

Advertisements

For al the non-believers in Simonize Glass Coat, let me offer you this: Yes, it does cost anywhere from $695 to as much as $1,200, depending where you go. Yes, you are in effect paying for the treatment, as well as a warranty. On a new car, it's a transferrable, lifetime, unlimited-mileage warranty. Yes, the seller is going to make money on selling the treatment, but not as much as you might think. (And besides, where's the fault in that?) You probably spend more on cable TV or personal printer ink every year. (If you're looking for things to get P.O.'d about, printer ink price should be at the top of your list.) No, it is not like waxing your car a couple of times a year. I have been detailing cars since the 80's and I can tell you I have worked with some of the highly rated and most expensive products on the market and most do not last more than 6-12 months, (at best), and carry no type of warranty. The ones that do, have very limited coverage. I have personally seen a Glass Coat treated new car with dried yellow road paint splashed down the side on doors and wheel wells, and it all came off the treated areas: (some remained on the inside of the wheel well(s), but obviously not as noticeable). Also, take into account the cost of a full detail. If you think a well-done detail is about $150, you'd be wrong: it's more: much more. For the sake of argument, let's say you have a $150 "detail" done twice yearly. If you own your car for 3-4+ years like most people, you don't need to be a genius to calculate the cost. You're already ahead with Glass Coat before you take into account that a detail typically carries no warranty whatsoever. Also, having a record of Glass Coat being done at time of purchase will add value at sell/trade time, which puts a few extra dollars back in your pocket. If you detail your own car yourself and you know what you're doing, it may not be the right thing for you. But, if you want to keep it looking really good, have paint protection against sap, bird droppings, tar, dead insects and a protective barrier against UV rays and acid rain, as well as fabric (or) leather protection for the interior against spilled drinks, and everything from ketchup to blood, and barely lift a finger to have it cleaned/restored, then Glass Coat is worth every nickel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:51 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
first post...hmmm

Old 03-21-2017, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 37,381 times
Your point?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 18,568 times
Will the Simoniz Glass Coat peel? Purchased Honda Certified Ridgeline 3 years ago, front bumper the clear coat or glass coat is peeling in certain areas.

Simoniz stated their product does not peel.....however, if the glass coat is put over the clear coat....then it's peeling, right?

Old 04-17-2017, 02:01 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
I use Adam's Americana Paste Wax on my Merkur.
Not cheap but it goes a long way and the 30 year old paint looks like it was resprayed yesterday.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 18,364 times
I worked in a dealership for over 11 years now . I use Simonize glass coat for many vechiles . Never ever had a car return .. ever .. and this guy ^ said dead bugs on the hood and YadA YadA but let me tell you something .. for bugs to eat through your clear coat you'd have to let them sit for a good week or 2 . So your meaning to tell me that you didn't wash your car with dead bugs on it for about a week or so and expect nothing to happen ? I do not understand you people . Take care of your car . Wash it every other day .. spray wax it ... plain lazy if you'd ask me .. and glass coat is a life time warranty . Like I said . I have WORKED 11 YEARS IN A DEALERSHIP DID OVER 20,000 cars with this GLASSCOAT and never ever ever had a complaint sounds to me like you just don't care to much for your vechile buddy .. pissed me off

Old 06-09-2017, 07:39 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times
I'm sure I posted this 5 or 6 Pages ago, but since this string came back from the dead, why not ...

https://youtu.be/t2tZ-7cKLgc

Old 08-07-2017, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 18,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansDetail View Post
I am and have been a professional detailer for 30 yrs.

The dealership baloney is exactly that. It is their stock-in-trade.
They know the paint "forever" protectant is bull and that's why they give it away
when they want you to think you're getting something.

Clay the paint and use a good polymer paint sealant (lots of them out there). At a good detail shop that will cost you 150.00 to 200.00 per year. And its likely they'll do the interior too.
I throw in Scotch Guard a Leather treatment and vinyl dressing.
(by the way no one treatment does both leather AND vinyl).
There is no mystical, majical treatment that will make your car look new and glow in the dark.
Like painting and all other final coat on things, the finish is the product of the prep work.
There is no substitute for the ministrations of a professional detailer.

The best thing you can do for your car's finish is keep things off of it. Tree Sap, Bird droppings, Industrial waste out of the air and many others all attack your paint (and any protectant) in varying degrees. Get them off the car ASAP!!!
Dan's Detail
LOL!

Can we brake that down for just a second? Lets say you get a product for $1000. They tell you the car
will be protected against environmental conditions/interior stains and is guaranteed for life. If you pay 200 per year to go in every year to mess around with that whole process you will have spent that in a short time. Now lets say that doesn't work... Really, it can't prevent everything. So now you pay for repairs or you just live with them. If you had purchases the environmental protection in the first place they would just fix it at no cost to you. I have personally had claims on my environmental protectant (interior) because like I said, it can't possibly prevent everything. I paid nothing and it just got fixed.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:28 PM

2 posts, read 36,105 times
Default A little hard to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riessgotthat View Post
I worked in a dealership for over 11 years now . I use Simonize glass coat for many vechiles . Never ever had a car return .. ever .. and this guy ^ said dead bugs on the hood and YadA YadA but let me tell you something .. for bugs to eat through your clear coat you'd have to let them sit for a good week or 2 . So your meaning to tell me that you didn't wash your car with dead bugs on it for about a week or so and expect nothing to happen ? I do not understand you people . Take care of your car . Wash it every other day .. spray wax it ... plain lazy if you'd ask me .. and glass coat is a life time warranty . Like I said . I have WORKED 11 YEARS IN A DEALERSHIP DID OVER 20,000 cars with this GLASSCOAT and never ever ever had a complaint sounds to me like you just don't care to much for your vechile buddy .. pissed me off
So you did 5 of these per day for 11 years? Of course that's assuming you never took a single day off. Sounds like somebody that benefits from the sale to me. I ran dealerships for 30 years and I call bs.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 36,105 times
Default Here's how

Quote:
Originally Posted by calalf View Post
how can i remove simoniz glass coat
Just wash it a couple of times and forget to wax it every 3-6 momths like they recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive