Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 AM

735 posts, read 3,503,722 times

Advertisements

Folks- thoughts?

In search for a 2010 4WD Pilot EX-L or Touring (without RES) I was told by a dealer in New England that the Taffeta White is rare and hard to come by. Obviously they didn't have the color and wanted to sell me another color they had on the lot but the salesman went so far as to call 5-6 other dealers (while I watched) and came back with no results.

You've got to be kidding me right?!

I went online and confirmed there are over 25 EXACT Pilots in white, same trim levels we are looking at. He told me the dealers rarely update their internet pages and inventory. So basically I'm supposed to believe that all 25 of the white Pilots were sold and all 15+ dealers didn't update their sites. Come on now!

Regardless- looks like I am narrowing in on a favorable deal.
2010 4WD Touring with Nav (no RES) - $36K even
money factor .00197
trade in they are giving us over KBB value for excellent on a 2 year old Element.

still waiting on details about residual value and lease terms. We have another quote for a 51 month lease and dealer says they will match beat it and bump us down to 48 months for a lower pymt. Skeptical and also confused about them not wanting to get us a white model???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:28 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,578,002 times
Of course they would rather sell you what they have rather than what they don't. Best bet is to do the calling yourself and deal over the internet or go to the dealer that does have what you want.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:37 AM

Yep- already one step ahead on that. We have an Internet deal and color we want but I test drove the car at a local dealer and they were trying to match the price......just didn't have the color. They started saying they 'might' be able to get the color at another dealer but I could tell it was like pulling teeth. I'm just going to tell them- take it or leave it and see what they come back with.

The best part is they also told me they would not be receiving ANY white models in the next 2 months? Come on!!!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:46 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,682,522 times
OMG! I had the same situation this summer when I wanted to buy a blue Corolla. The dealership told me there were no blue Corollas in the entire Cincinnati area, proceeded to make calls, came up with nothing, and tried to convince me to buy a color I didn't want. WTH? If I want a blue car I want a blue car not a white or gray one. Finally I went home and started calling around myself. I found the blue Corolla in Dayton, they matched the price, and we drove up that night to pick it up. I really don't understand why they make this process so difficult for the customer. Don't settle for a car you don't want. Best wishes to you.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:25 AM

Sunnydee - that is crazy! I thik some of these dealers forget about the...ummm...INTERNET! Hello- I found the color we want 20 miles from our home at another dealer.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:17 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,432,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
Folks- thoughts?

In search for a 2010 4WD Pilot EX-L or Touring (without RES) I was told by a dealer in New England that the Taffeta White is rare and hard to come by. Obviously they didn't have the color and wanted to sell me another color they had on the lot but the salesman went so far as to call 5-6 other dealers (while I watched) and came back with no results.

You've got to be kidding me right?!

I went online and confirmed there are over 25 EXACT Pilots in white, same trim levels we are looking at. He told me the dealers rarely update their internet pages and inventory. So basically I'm supposed to believe that all 25 of the white Pilots were sold and all 15+ dealers didn't update their sites. Come on now!

Regardless- looks like I am narrowing in on a favorable deal.
2010 4WD Touring with Nav (no RES) - $36K even
money factor .00197
trade in they are giving us over KBB value for excellent on a 2 year old Element.

still waiting on details about residual value and lease terms. We have another quote for a 51 month lease and dealer says they will match beat it and bump us down to 48 months for a lower pymt. Skeptical and also confused about them not wanting to get us a white model???

2 points-

1) It's very possible that the online inventories are over a month or more out of date. Most dealers don't update well at all.

2) a 51-MONTH LEASE? Are you INSANE? Why in the hell would you do that?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:48 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,693,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
2 points-
2) a 51-MONTH LEASE? Are you INSANE? Why in the hell would you do that?
To the OP.....Suggest that you back the truck up and rethink your plan since it's very flawed.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,697,426 times
Third vote for rethinking it, assuming you can get your hands on the one you want.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:25 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,578,002 times
Wow, didn't see the 51 month lease, why not just buy it. That is a rediculous amount of time for a lease.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:27 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,708,932 times
I'm with everyone else, a 51 month lease is an absolutely ridiculous amount of time for a lease! If you can't afford the vehicle, you shouldn't buy it!

Quote:
I wonder why? Car dealers are never overly generous, they always have an angle. They probably see a big "SUCKER" written on your forehead if you are leasing a vehicle for 51 months! The amount of money they are going to make off you is mind boggling!

Do you need a new vehicle? Is something wrong with your Element?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive