Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:08 PM

735 posts, read 3,505,173 times

Advertisements

Okay folks- settle down

The leasing is not through the dealer. So they are not making any money off of that - it's through an independent lender.

The 51 months is because my company funds my vehicle that I use for work and the term cannot be longer than 4.5 years. If I go with a 48, or 36 month lease it would put the payment over my 'allowance' from the company.

OKAY?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post

I wonder why? Car dealers are never overly generous, they always have an angle. They probably see a big "SUCKER" written on your forehead if you are leasing a vehicle for 51 months! The amount of money they are going to make off you is mind boggling!
The reason they are willing to do the deal is because they have no choice. If the refuse I walk and get the deal done someone else. (they know that, and I know that).

Dealerships feed on those that become intimidated. Doesn't work on me...

Old 11-12-2009, 07:24 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,442,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY'er lost in MA View Post
The reason they are willing to do the deal is because they have no choice. If the refuse I walk and get the deal done someone else. (they know that, and I know that).

Dealerships feed on those that become intimidated. Doesn't work on me...

Sure they have a choice, they can tell you to get lost. If they weren't making any money, then they would just tell you to take a hike.

It's profitable somewhere for them.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Okay folks- settle down

The leasing is not through the dealer. So they are not making any money off of that - it's through an independent lender.

The 51 months is because my company funds my vehicle that I use for work and the term cannot be longer than 4.5 years. If I go with a 48, or 36 month lease it would put the payment over my 'allowance' from the company.

OKAY?!

Do you drive a lot for work, or get a tax write-off on the lease?

Or is the car in your name and your company just puts a stipend in your paycheck?

99.9% of the time, you're better off doing a 60-month purchase versus any lease over 39 months.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 AM

Getmeout-

I do alot of driving for work but the payment (up to a certain amount) is covered by my company with a stipend. But the vehicle must not be older than 4.5 years or I would not be eligible for the stipend.

With financing the payment gets too high and I cannot keep the vehicle that long anyway- so that is out.

So- I'm NOT keeping the vehicle - there is no reason to do a 60 month finance.

I've leased over 13 cars and understand the whole deal on them. If I really wanted to own a car and keep it I would finance. This just isn't the case in my situation.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:21 AM

Then you fall into that .01%.

Just checking.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:59 AM

432 posts, read 3,662,954 times
Quote:
Getmeout-

I do alot of driving for work but the payment (up to a certain amount) is covered by my company with a stipend. But the vehicle must not be older than 4.5 years or I would not be eligible for the stipend.

With financing the payment gets too high and I cannot keep the vehicle that long anyway- so that is out.

So- I'm NOT keeping the vehicle - there is no reason to do a 60 month finance.

I've leased over 13 cars and understand the whole deal on them. If I really wanted to own a car and keep it I would finance. This just isn't the case in my situation.
maybe you should be looking for a cheaper car??

Old 11-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Not if his company is paying for it.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:42 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
You know, this is a very profitable setup for any dealer that's not too stupid to see what's on the table here, if I were in the biz I would be getting the OP set up with the car he wants, the color he wants, and whatever else he wanted pronto...

Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 PM

M3 - the dealer changed their tune suddenly when I started to walk. They said they could get a white vehicle finally but them were grumbling about it. I could care less how they get it. The bottom line is I want a good deal because I'd have to pay any amount over my stipend and I want that color- period.

Yes- I could get a less expensive vehicle but we need the space as we have kids, take family trips, and occasionally will get it pretty full with various supplies (personal or work related).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive