Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 09:27 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,824,479 times

Advertisements

So the Auto Club Speedway race this Sunday will be the last as a 2 mile track. Many drivers are puzzled about a new short track configuration that is planned. The drivers say Auto Club is one of the most fun tracks to race, with multiple grooves, etc. They point to last years race which was exciting. The drivers believe if a short track is the works, there are better places for that than Fontana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 10:35 AM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
So the Auto Club Speedway race this Sunday will be the last as a 2 mile track. Many drivers are puzzled about a new short track configuration that is planned. The drivers say Auto Club is one of the most fun tracks to race, with multiple grooves, etc. They point to last years race which was exciting. The drivers believe if a short track is the works, there are better places for that than Fontana.

The problem is.. The racing in the 15 years prior to that was usually pretty boring.

I'd say, seeing as there is no true short track on the schedule in the west.. I can see why they'd want one out there.

The other issue being.. I'm not sure how a half mile will do.. I'd probably rather see something along the 3/4 mile range like Richmond or the 7/8ths mile Iowa.

Fontana does get something of a bad rap through no real fault of its own. The fact that it took Darlington's traditional date at Labor Day really turned a whole lot of people off. Even though that's been undone now.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:45 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The problem is.. The racing in the 15 years prior to that was usually pretty boring.

I'd say, seeing as there is no true short track on the schedule in the west.. I can see why they'd want one out there.

The other issue being.. I'm not sure how a half mile will do.. I'd probably rather see something along the 3/4 mile range like Richmond or the 7/8ths mile Iowa.

Fontana does get something of a bad rap through no real fault of its own. The fact that it took Darlington's traditional date at Labor Day really turned a whole lot of people off. Even though that's been undone now.
I've lovingly referred to Fontana as Auto Crap Speedway since the rename. Both it and Michigan suck. "But they go 3-5 wide," yeah for like 5-10 laps after the green flag and then they get strung out single-file for a majority of the race. Those two tracks in their current configurations are more suited to open-wheel cars that can go 230mph around them wide open.

I salute ISC for trying something. Fontana has like 10 million people within 2 hours of the track, the track only has like 65,000 seats, and they couldn't sell the place out when they literally gave tickets away to people who, IIRC, bought groceries. If the short track still can't sell out, they should give it the Ontario/Riverside treatment and bulldoze it.

Old 02-21-2023, 10:55 AM

5,675 posts, read 5,887,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
He sold to Bradshaw I believe. Not sure when.

He just went out and purchased a Rousch Mustang. Powerful little car. He said he probably wouldn't drive it much, just liked it. He had surgery yesterday on his shoulder.

His shop was very cool, lots of memorabilia, fancy cars, engines and other parts. I was just overall impressed with how kind he was and spry!! Hope I can his energy in my upper 70's!
2017 or 18 I believe. Its Fred Anderson now since Bradshaw sold off. Moms last car was a Buick she bought there at Bradshaw because her Mazda was totaled, and the saleman was still there at the time, and they didnt have a used Mazda she liked. Mom died, but little sis still has the car. Anyways - back on topic.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:51 AM

5,719 posts, read 4,696,002 times
Looking like Fontana could be a complete washout. Big weather system sitting just off the coast.

Old 02-25-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Looking like Fontana could be a complete washout. Big weather system sitting just off the coast.
But theres reruns of last years race..............

Old 02-25-2023, 05:12 PM

17,598 posts, read 15,272,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

It was SNOWING..

I mean, look, we've been in that boat before.. But.. In Bristol.. ok.. Atlanta back in the day was weird.. Richmond..

The LA track was one that I didn't think we'd have problems with snow at.

Old 02-26-2023, 10:45 AM

6,463 posts, read 3,154,378 times
My local paper, being a part of the Gannett operation, doesn't cover auto racing all that much. However, they did run a story on Fontana, in today's (Sunday) paper. They indeed mentioned the weather, and also brought up another unfortunate point, regarding the Fontana track. It appears that the track is somewhat porous, and after any kind of rain, the track will "push out" water, for quite a while. Assuming the rain stops, they still may have a problem, if they try to run the race, at least today.

Old 02-26-2023, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
My local paper, being a part of the Gannett operation, doesn't cover auto racing all that much. However, they did run a story on Fontana, in today's (Sunday) paper. They indeed mentioned the weather, and also brought up another unfortunate point, regarding the Fontana track. It appears that the track is somewhat porous, and after any kind of rain, the track will "push out" water, for quite a while. Assuming the rain stops, they still may have a problem, if they try to run the race, at least today.
So far so good, but it seems it is the last race there in that configuration anyways. Joy just said basically Nascar just sold it.

Side note, wonder what happened with Danica this week. They said last week she would be there this weekend and next weekend. (Not that I care)

Old 02-26-2023, 03:35 PM

Man,they are getting some great shots with those mountains in the background!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing