Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 02:00 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,198,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
No... the lack of humidity in New Mexico bothered me too. Lots of nose bleeds, and just uncomfortable.

I find it a little silly when people say things like "was going to move to the Houston/Woodlands area, but the humidity!" Houston and Austin are less than 3 hours apart, not on opposite ends of the state...
After living in and frequently visiting my parents in Austin (or rather right outside of Austin), there's an obvious difference in humidity between Austin and Houston, especially during the warmer months.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:17 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,276,069 times
Yes, you are correct. Austin is horrendously overrated. But, i do disagree with you on one point. Both Houston AND Dallas can blow it away in any category. You name it. And please dont tell me live music and hillbilly country!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Stop this! Austin is overrated-period. It's a decent place but does in fact lack many amenities that a city of comparable size would normally have. I don't think there's much room to argue on this point.

But, the fact that Austin is (highly) overrated doesn't mean it is automatically trumped by Houston or Dallas. It's really a subjective assessment on one's part whether he or she prefers one city to another, isn't it?

Let's try and be somewhat civil to one another. At the end of the day Texans should be proud of what each major city in the state has to offer. (BTW: go H-TOWN!)

Old 02-28-2010, 02:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,756,150 times
I can notice the difference a little bit, but it's not a huge difference to me and maybe because I used to live there. I can notice a big difference from Austin and Corpus Christi though.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I can notice the difference a little bit, but it's not a huge difference to me and maybe because I used to live there. I can notice a big difference from Austin and Corpus Christi though.
Houston is ginormous metropolis, so I guess it would depend on where you go in the region. As far as humidity, the western and northern suburbs don't seem that bad, the rest of the metro can be fairly oppressive. I'm kind of used to it as well, but it's still a noticeable difference between Austin and Houston.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Yes, you are correct. Austin is horrendously overrated. But, i do disagree with you on one point. Both Houston AND Dallas can blow it away in any category. You name it. And please dont tell me live music and hillbilly country!!
Seriously? Music scene, natural scenery, vibrant downtown, out door rec., college scene, etc. You seriously need to get out more and stop trolling on the internet if none of this is apparent to you.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:57 PM

587 posts, read 1,424,209 times
Ok, I just had to come back and post this. I already posted how my father's friend in Houston said that Austin was the place to be and that he was going to move there as soon as his parents were gone and he could sell his business.

Now, he spoke to some people from Dallas yesterday and apparently they said the same thing! They encouraged my father to retire in Austin. And the people at this conference are all very wealthy people, those who eepstein would consider high-end, "worthy of jealousy" people.

So it's starting to appear to me that not only is Austin NOT jealous of Dallas and Houston, but they're jealous of Austin!

Seriously, I am quite certain that both Houston and Dallas have a lot to offer and are a great fit for many, just like Austin.

I have nothing against either of those two cities and am actually anxious to visit them once we live in Austin, but I couldn't resist posting this, mostly for eepstein.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:06 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,878,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
After living in and frequently visiting my parents in Austin (or rather right outside of Austin), there's an obvious difference in humidity between Austin and Houston, especially during the warmer months.
I've lived in both cities too and still think it's not enough of a difference to use as the deciding factor, and to do so is silly. If one can tolerate Austin's humidity, they can tolerate Houston's IMO.

As far as all of this other silly talk of jealousy... I'm not buying it. I don't think any of the people in the cities are jealous of people in the other cities.
Now there's a lot of ignorance and sometimes even arrogance from all areas (if you hear residents of one city saying another city is a dump/pit etc, it's probably ignorance and/or arrogance)... but not jealousy.

Last edited by AK123; 02-28-2010 at 04:14 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 04:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,833,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post

So it's starting to appear to me that not only is Austin NOT jealous of Dallas and Houston, but they're jealous of Austin!

Seriously, I am quite certain that both Houston and Dallas have a lot to offer and are a great fit for many, just like Austin.
I dont think any of cities mentioned are jelous of each other. They have are all too different to from each other to really want to be like each other.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:32 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,049,516 times
You will feel really sad when you move to Austin. And then realize there is far more activities and far more depth in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post

I have nothing against either of those two cities and am actually anxious to visit them once we live in Austin, but I couldn't resist posting this, mostly for eepstein.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:34 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,049,516 times
Oh you mean the over-priced music scene for indie rock band marathons?

Downtown isn't what I would call vibrant.

College scene is pretty strange and boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Seriously? Music scene, natural scenery, vibrant downtown, out door rec., college scene, etc. You seriously need to get out more and stop trolling on the internet if none of this is apparent to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin