Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:24 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,066,441 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know someone who lives in Austin who used to live in Houston. If I ever do move out of state to Texas like I would want, what makes Austin better? The guy I know who lives there just said Houston is a filthy dump and claimed everyone calls it Pewston.

I actually am very interested in Austin and from the massive amount of research i've done I think I will like it better, but I have yet to visit Texas. Though the out of state community college tuition in Houston and Dallas is cheaper...

Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,427,996 times
Whether or not Austin or Dallas or Houston or San Antonio is "better" depends entirely on the individual and their preferences and needs.

So, what are you looking for in a community? What kind of city would you, personally, be most comfortable in, and then we can tell you where the best fit is.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 PM

680 posts, read 1,384,646 times
Houston is not a "dump." Every city has its ugly areas and Houston is no exception, but there are fairly vast swaths of Houston that are quite nice. It's a much more cosmopolitan city than Austin.

Having said that, in surveys of Texans there is a general feeling that Austin is the most desirable city to live in. But your feelings might be different. Explore and see for yourself. And HAVE FUN!

Old 02-22-2010, 09:34 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,849,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
The guy I know who lives there just said Houston is a filthy dump and claimed everyone calls it Pewston.
Good grief. The guy is either living in a bad area of town, or is one of those people who is never happy and loves to complain. If it was so bad, don't you think people would be leaving in droves? BTW, that's the first time I've ever heard anyone call Houston that nickname in my decade of living in the Houston metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Houston is not a "dump." Every city has its ugly areas and Houston is no exception, but there are fairly vast swaths of Houston that are quite nice. It's a much more cosmopolitan city than Austin.
Thank you.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 PM

178 posts, read 459,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Car View Post
Though the out of state community college tuition in Houston and Dallas is cheaper...
....and so is virtually everything else.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
Austin has an extremely communist feel when compared to other Texas cities. It's very bland, slow, and very controlled by the big organizations in the city. If you like Hill country then you should live next to San Antonio.

Houston isn't a dump. It has beautiful forests, shopping centers galore, art, theater, parades, beautiful enormous skyline of skyscrapers, and some average beaches. If there is a bad smell it is probably closer to the beach.

Dallas is everything Austin wishes it could be. It's a huge progressive city. Everybody does their own thing. There are several arts districts, huge arts community, major upscale shopping, sports teams, night-life, libraries galore, major corporations galore, zoos, some nice nature areas, and the major universities don't try to control the city like in Austin. I found far more southern hospitality in Dallas than in snooty old dilapidated Austin.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Thanks you guys, I have a relocating magazine to Houston and it looks like there are some very beautiful parts and what not. Austin looks great too, haven't really done any research on Dallas.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
Houston and Dallas are enormous. There will be a lot more to do in both cities. I got bored to tears with Austin after about 6 weeks.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Houston and Dallas are enormous. There will be a lot more to do in both cities. I got bored to tears with Austin after about 6 weeks.
Ya I love big, and Austin definitely is nowhere near as massive as either Dallas or Houston.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,774,078 times
Just remember that most of the big in all three cities is suburban sprawl of the tract housing, dormitories for families, strip mall chain stores and restaurants kind, and the stereotypes of all three MSAs contain a grain of truth. Austin has on average the most highly educated population of the three, but is smaller, more liberal by every index, has the prettiest topography and is better for outdoor activities. Houston has no zoning which produces interesting cosmopolitan juxtapositions and has the best restaurants and high cultural options in the state - though Fort Worth can give Houston a good battle in terms of art museums. Dallas is the most corporate and mainstream of the big TX cities in terms of style, but has the best residential architecture - within the city limits - the surrounding communities are tract housing of the cheapest and nastiest domestic architecture in the world. The suburbs of Austin and Houston are not much better, but it feels like there is more of it in the DFW metroplex. So I would say there is no best, just depends on what you like. If you like lots of tattoos, live music, a big public sector- state university and government town, good outdoor recreational opportunities and a mildly eccentric do it yourself ethos, go for Austin. Austin is the most expensive city in TX for a reason. If you like excellent restaurants at every price point, the excitement of a brothel next to a mansion, next to a concrete plant and great theater, art and the hurricane risk, go for Houston. If you like manicured lawns, status conscious people, the best public transport in the state and an interesting urban suburban vibe in Tornado alley, go for Dallas. - also if you like blondes, though I suspect the ratio of drapes to carpet match is pretty low! They are all pretty great cities - none of them spectacular. Houston feels to me like a poor man's Chicago - flat, close to water, everything is there, you have just got to look for it - and, for me, much better weather than Chicago. Dallas is what L.A. would be if it were in Oklahoma, i.e. take away Hollywood, the Pacific Ocean, great weather and scenic beauty. I dunno know what Austin is besides its own event, but maybe a smaller, more libertarian Seattle, without the mountains or great seafood, but with sunshine and great BBQ. San Antonio and Fort Worth are good cities too. Being TX cities they have a lot in common, but they all have their own personalities too. Traffic is very bad in Houston and Dallas, and on certain stretches of highway in Austin and San Antonio too. So make a trip to check them all out, or most sensibly just move to the one where you have gainful employment! My personal ranking order ( for the cities, not the suburbs) would be inner loop Houston, central Austin, San Antonio inside 410 and then Fort Worth. Good luck in working this all out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin