Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 03:10 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,895 times

Advertisements

There is no lying whatsoever here. It's all opinions. It is a FACT that Dallas and Houston have FAR greater overall populations of college students than Austin. However, you may not be able to tell as much because the cities are so much larger overall, but you don't think all of these people congregate somewhere?? Saying that Austin has the best nightlife is rediculous. Austin has a large university that happens to be fairly close to the 6th street district. Therefore it APPEARS to have better nightlife because of all of the people who go there. I am not a fan of San Antonio, however it has TONS of bars and resturants along the riverwalk. Tons of nightlife as well. AND many of these people are actually tourists! So, by definition a city can ONLY have good nightlife if it's university is directly feeding the area of where the bars and clubs are?? Makes no sense.

If you don't agree with my FACTS, then check them out for yourself. Add up all of the college students in the metroplex, and Houston areas and tell me how those numbers compare to Austin's college population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Wow! I don't know what to say eepstein. This might be the single ***** comment I've ever read on C-D. Do you ever leave you house in Austin? To say Austin's nightlife is "dead" outside of a 2 block stretch of 6th street absurd. Music scene? I guess it all depends on what your looking for, but for a lot of people, Austin's is head over heals above any other Texas city. Outside of rap, Houston's is pretty sad. It's the same for Dallas. Outside of a few select genre's (the only ones that come to mind are electronic and maybe country if you include Fort Worth and Denton) Austin's is still much better than Dallas. And SA? Seriously? Nothing against the town, but it's not known for its music scene. As for the outdoors, outdoors enthusiast don't travel from all over the state to go Dallas for it's lakes, hunting, fishing, camping, bike trails, etc. They do for Austin. I can see the argument for Houston considering it's somewhat of a coastal city (well some of its suburbs a coastal cities), but it's not as "outdoorsy" of a city as Austin. SA has the hills, lakes, trails, parks, etc, but no and numerous as Austin. It could be, but its not. Our lakes and bike trails aren't on the same level as what you can find in Austin. As for the state ment about the college scene... LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! You obviously don't know what your talking about.

Anyway, if you haven't noticed, I live in Houston and would be doing the same thing if someone was trashing Houston on its board. I love both cities and I don't expect people to "bow down" to Austin. I know the city is not for everyone. But you trolling the Austin threads, and have been for quite some time so I'm calling you out on it. It ceases to become "giving your opinion" when you exaggerate information or flat out lie to persuade people to dislike a certain city. That's called trolling.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:11 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
I can see the point of what is being said, but it doesn't take an hour to get to anything from Downtown Houston. It takes maybe 30 minutes from Downtown to Clear Lake. I heard from one of our friends who lives out near Hwy. 6 that people are starting to canoe on Buffalo Bayou now.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,605 times
Houston does have a lot of outdoor options , however I agree with the previous poster who said Austin's are more woven into the city.

Houston or Dallas have nothing that can compare to Zilker park/Barton Springs...crystal clear cold, natural spring fed water in a great, relaxed setting. You just can't beat a great summers day at Zilker park or Barton springs anywhere in TX. And, the list goes on and on from there...

Old 03-01-2010, 03:39 PM

Just because Austin has a spring in the middle of it doesn't make the other cities stuff less interesting. Different places, different things. I guess that would be personal opinion/preference.

Some things Downtown Houston has:
Houston Canoe Club
Buffalo Bayou Canoe Tours
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens
Houston Arboretum and Nature Center
Memorial Park
Hermann Park
Orange Show
Cockrell Butterfly Center
Market Square Historic District
Theatre Under the Stars
Museum District
Rice University Trail
Sam Houston Park
Tranquility Park
Lillie and Hugh Roy Cullen Sculpture garden
Edith Moore Nature Sanctuary
Ho Chi Minh Trails (Memorial Park)
Allen Parkway Loop
Bray's Bayou Trail
Sesquicentennial Park

I guess what I'm saying is stick a pin in a Texas map and most Cities will have something in or near their downtown to do, even nature wise. Not all cities have the benefit of rivers or springs being in the middle of town, sure. But that doesn't make Austin BETTER than everywhere else.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:04 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
It's smaller, easier to manage, more outdoorsy, and has better scenery. That's about it, IMO. It depends on what you're looking for.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Yeah overall, Houston ends up functioning like most other big cities. My friend was just in Harlem the other day and saw a fried chicken place, next to a liquor store, next to a nail salon, next to a gun store. Land use is not really the main problem, maintenance of properties is, and zoning usually covers that.
This is so very true. That, and over-development.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:58 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
OMG, this is becomming a trend now! NOT. Anyways, it all has to do with what you are used to. With few exceptions, Texas is generally a very flat, ugly state. That is why the hillbilly country is such a big deal to people here. Again, for those who haven't travelled much, hills are pretty much the norm in most other major cities. Because of the overall Texas terrian, people think the hillbilly country is something unique. As a former Colorado Springs resident, i would find more impressive hills in the CITY of colorado springs then anything in the hillbilly country without even regarding the huge mountains to the west.

It's all what you are used to and find desirable.
Wow i grew up in Colorado springs pretty much my whole life. What part did you live?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:07 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Just because Austin has a spring in the middle of it doesn't make the other cities stuff less interesting. Different places, different things. I guess that would be personal opinion/preference.

Some things Downtown Houston has:
Houston Canoe Club
Buffalo Bayou Canoe Tours
Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens
Houston Arboretum and Nature Center
Memorial Park
Hermann Park
Orange Show
Cockrell Butterfly Center
Market Square Historic District
Theatre Under the Stars
Museum District
Rice University Trail
Sam Houston Park
Tranquility Park
Lillie and Hugh Roy Cullen Sculpture garden
Edith Moore Nature Sanctuary
Ho Chi Minh Trails (Memorial Park)
Allen Parkway Loop
Bray's Bayou Trail
Sesquicentennial Park

I guess what I'm saying is stick a pin in a Texas map and most Cities will have something in or near their downtown to do, even nature wise. Not all cities have the benefit of rivers or springs being in the middle of town, sure. But that doesn't make Austin BETTER than everywhere else.
Yeah I get your point. Different strokes for different folks.

But, IMO, there's no where else I'd rather be in TX, for an outdoor activity, than Zilker park/barton springs June - September. To me, its the ulimate, classic Texas tradition...something straight out of Dazed and Confused (maybe bad example) or like homemade Apple Pie.

Also, rafting the Comal or Guadalupe or canoeing on Lake Austin/Lake Travis almost anytime but mainly May-Sept...you won't see me navigating any of Houston's bayous or Trinity River in Dallas in the summer!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:00 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,895 times
Lived in North Colorado Springs for about 2 1/2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
Wow i grew up in Colorado springs pretty much my whole life. What part did you live?

Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM

"Also, rafting the Comal or Guadalupe or canoeing on Lake Austin/Lake Travis almost anytime but mainly May-Sept...you won't see me navigating any of Houston's bayous or Trinity River in Dallas in the summer!"

I will say cooler water during those months is really nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin