Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 PM

80 posts, read 353,777 times

Advertisements

Driftwood, your pictures are awesome! I just found one thing
missing: anyone got a recipe for things to do with rattlesnake meat,
or the name of a good restaurant that serves rattlesnake?
I think I will order it the week after Thanksgiving, by which
time, the turkeys will be all gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 07:16 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Quote:
anyone got a recipe for things to do with rattlesnake meat,
I almost guarantee that there will be at least one chili recipe at every chili cook-off that uses rattlesnake meat. Go to the wiener dog races in Buda and swing by the chili area and check for rattlesnake (btw, the chili 'meat' is usually clearly identified ).

Old 04-28-2007, 07:19 PM

80 posts, read 353,777 times
Default Rattlesnake meat

Great! To rephrase an old maxim:
If you hate 'em and can't beat 'em, then just eat 'em.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,135,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtech View Post
Driftwood, your pictures are awesome! I just found one thing
missing: anyone got a recipe for things to do with rattlesnake meat,
I think I will order it the week after Thanksgiving, by which
time, the turkeys will be all gone.
Hudsons on the bend serves rattlesnake cakes

Diamondback rattlesnake cakes in a pistachio nut crust coiled above a spicy chipotle cream

Old 05-05-2007, 01:23 AM

9 posts, read 39,439 times
Default Rattler in 2222?

I was driving home from work tonight down 2222 from 620... then just right before the River Place light, I saw a coiled snake on the shoulder that was black and medium tan. It looked pretty big. My husband insists it was a rattlesnake (probably just trying to scare me)..... has anyone seen any rattlesnakes in this part of Austin? Scorpions: I've seen two live ones in the driveway so far in the one year that we've lived here. No tarantulas yet... but we did see a coyote/fox/wolf one night near the 3M complex, definitely not a regular domestic dog but we couldn't tell what it was. Always LOTS of deer out at night, so definitely be careful driving. Now, does anyone know if there are any alligators in Lake Travis? I've done endless searches on the web so I'm guessing (and hoping) none.... I just want to make sure before I go into the water since the lake is full again

Old 05-05-2007, 06:27 AM

575 posts, read 2,496,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydtow View Post
Now, does anyone know if there are any alligators in Lake Travis? I've done endless searches on the web so I'm guessing (and hoping) none.... I just want to make sure before I go into the water since the lake is full again
I have never heard about any dangerous creatures in Lave Travis. I did see a snake swimming across one of the little bay like inlets at Windy Point park, but I, and my 5 and 7 year old at the time, just stayed away from it.

What you worry about more at Lake Travis is the drop offs close to shore, don't overestimate swimming skills. Also, wear good swimming shoes in the water, the rock bottom is sharp at times. I prefer Teva water sandals myself, but I smash my big toes a lot too.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:21 AM

92 posts, read 761,737 times
I saw a HUGE snake on my window today. It was probably about 2 feet long. It didn't have a rattle, but it scared me to death. I've never seen a wild snake before. I guess that's part of living in Manor!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:06 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,281,831 times
This one beats all....y'all have seen rattlers here, but how many of you have had a coral snake in your backyard?

we did, this past week, right next to our pool. Mountain lions have also been spotted in the Balcones and Cortana preserves right behind our house.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:10 PM

92 posts, read 761,737 times
What do you think this guy is?

I also found this in my tree!

Old 05-05-2007, 01:26 PM

110 posts, read 590,859 times
OMG dazed!!!!!!!

I would be calling the sherrif to tell him there was an intruder trying to get into my house!!!!!!!!!!!! Where do you live?? I will FREAK if I see a snake in my yard-- let alone one trying to get into my house!!!!

gosh-- I will shut up about my scorpions-- I will take them any day over a snake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin