Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:05 PM

110 posts, read 591,013 times

Advertisements

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If my husband did that to me, he would be the one getting stabbed

ick ick!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,714,119 times
Believe me, he was tempting fate! Now I'm gonna be scared to go outside tomorrow. And I have a 4 yr. old who loves to play outside, so I'm gonna have to go on a snake patrol and it's already giving me the creeps.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:43 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,673,575 times
Quote:
How does one kill a scorpion? Are they fast moving? I'm assuming you don't want to try to be nice and trap it and let it loose outside, right? (Because of the risk of getting stung???) Does having two dogs inside help keep them away?

I totally enjoy the insect/bug threads because I'm just as scared as everyone else!
Re: scorpion elimination. Generally, these are one of the few creatures on the planet that I have no problem killing without provocation. They just LOOK evil, the way they raise that tail up and lean toward you....ugh. However, if you see a big, fat one, be careful of 'applying the shoe' too fast. Some will be mother scorpions carrying their young on their back and they are identically colored and really small, so you can't see them well. You swat them, and HUNDREDS of gnat sized scorpions go fleeing in ever direction. Scorpions are really not that fast, especially before you try to swat them (they are a little arrogant ), so check to see that they are not 'loaded'. IF they are, you may want to trap them and kill em outside or with something that gets them all.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:20 AM

trainwreck--- so the little ones can be killed with a big ole shoe. How does one kill the mother of all scorpions??????? And how do you keep them out of your house? I can't even walk around in the dark without fear I'm going to step on one of these nasty things --- ewh!!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:27 AM

Not to get too graphic, but the little ones are pretty much too small to be easily squished by shoe. If you get the mother outside with the minors still attached, you probaby need to drown em in gasoline or a strong pesticide. If they go cluster bomb on you still in the house.....just get ready for nightmares for a while.

Really, scorpions are not that common in the house and will dimish over time. You are either seeing them on a regualr basis (usually means that you are in a construction/rural area) or you will only see them very rarely and it is just bad luck if you run across one.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:10 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,022,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post

Really, scorpions are not that common in the house and will dimish over time.
I actually stepped on one barefoot while walking to the bathroom early one morning. thought it was a roach but when I turned on the light, it was a scorpion.

I will say though, in my 12+ years in Austin including 2 years living on an acreage lot, I have only see a live scorpion twice.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:27 PM

so I need to carry around a butane torch and light them on fire should I see one????? ewh-- I'm so freaked about even walking around in the dark! Spiders (small ones) I can handle--- but the scorpions and snake talk is getting to me!!!!

I wonder if they make a cute steel toes slipper that I can wear at night???

Old 04-25-2007, 01:29 PM

Hehe...you do realize that scorpions love to hide in shoes (and slippers)? Always bang them out before you put them on if have scorpions...

Old 04-25-2007, 03:54 PM

stop it!!!!
ok-- now I'm getting flip flops!!!!!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,714,119 times
No sign of the snake today, thank heavens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin