Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 11:42 AM

66 posts, read 334,747 times

Advertisements

Sydtow's husband here. It didn't move until I got home. It backed itself into a crack behind the front door. I tried to coax it out with some canned air and even a few sprays of bleach but it wouldn't move. Ended up having to kill it with a broom.

I expect to see more, however. They took out 20-30 acres with the school and road construction behind us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 19,164 times
We recently moved into a new house in Round Rock. We've had problems with scorpians. Once we had the attic dusted and the Taexx spray done I've only seen a couple. Every time I have seen a scorpian it has been late at night or early in ghe morning. I guess those nasty bugs are night owls! The bug guy said once the building is done in our neighborhood the scorpian activity should die down a lot. If I would have known about the scorpians I never would have moved to Austin. I got stung the first night we moved in....they aren't poisonous but it was not a pleasant experience. Two days of burning like fire and itching.

Old 09-19-2007, 04:09 PM

119 posts, read 456,900 times
Oh, wow...never thought about the critters out there. Tarantulas, Scorpions and the biga** centipedes are gonna scare me to death. Snakes freak me out but I've learned to stay clear of them here in SE TX. Even though there are a few snakes that I believe have absolutely no purpose, most are very beneficial and slither on their merry little way if you leave them alone.

Look forward to seeing deer, turkeys, coyotes, and the rest of the "big" stuff.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:11 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,894 times
This guy was on my sectional today(must have got in through the gap in my door that has insufficient weather stripping)

Looked it up here:
City of Austin - Insects, spiders, other invertebrates

It is a "leptoglossus coriedae", commonly referred to as a leaf-footed bug

I grabbed it with some tissue paper and put it out on the deck where it continued to walk non-stop across my table...half the photos I took were blurred! It was a fairly interesting insect as it has very "woody" features and moved as such. It certainly wasn't aggressive.
Attached Thumbnails
Scorpions, Tarantulas, Snakes, Oh-My-img_2360.jpg   Scorpions, Tarantulas, Snakes, Oh-My-img_2367.jpg  

Old 09-19-2007, 09:42 PM

118 posts, read 296,150 times
Wow I read all 16 pages...Thats a lot of bugs...Now I am liking our bug free area, not even the mosquitoes are that bad here!!!

Old 09-20-2007, 08:38 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
That bug is also known as a stink bug.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:39 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
That bug is also referred to as a Stink Bug.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,329 times
Not funny! I woke up two night ago because I felt something crawling on my leg... Turned on the light... SCORPION!! I don't think I have ever gotten out of bed that fast in my life! My husband jumped off two... It was about 2am and let me tell you: That adrenaline will not let you go to sleep easily after such an episode! We lifted the bed skirt a little so it won't touch the floor anymore. My husband had a hard time going to sleep the night after as well LOL!! We read some about the critters and learned that indeed their "season" goes from Agust to October... Lucky us!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:03 PM

389 posts, read 1,571,434 times
Default more...

Couple things,,
Firstly, once you get the mindset that these are essentially bees that dont fly, you wont be nearly as startled to happen on them , but of course even a bee crawling around on you in bed would startle most I think!

Next, while it is wise to keep bedding from touching the floor, be sure to check ABOVE you. Recessed lights, or most any light in scorpion territory very often results in them falling down from the attic.. (which if you have access, should be dusted.)

Next... theres more in the house... count on it. they can get in through 1/16"
even fully grown ones. It can take 2-3 seasons to get them all with exterminating..but once they are out, and you keep the perimiter treated, you will rarely see them, especially if you keep your yard tidy.. avoid piles of rocks, wood , etc.

Theres loads of discussion on them , here and elsewhere but try to remeber , these local ones wont kill you... I've been stung 4 times, and its not nearly as bad as a red wasp IHO...

Hope this helps ..
Cheers

( I almost said "sleep tight" )

Old 10-03-2007, 10:33 PM

11 posts, read 49,554 times
When I first moved here I had scorpions and had to call an exterminator. He also takes care of the fire ant mounds, those tiny ants, spiders(yes I got bitten by one and had to go on steroids -Thank G-d it wasnt a brown recluse) and fleas. If you are moving from up north you need to know that you have to use heartworm treatment year round here for your dogs and that fleas are a major problem if you dont use preventatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin