Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 07:17 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,708,900 times

Advertisements

Black widows are not really as venemous as their reputation - you probably should go to a dr., but it is not typically deadly; brown recluse, on the other hand, can be very dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM

8 posts, read 51,794 times
I am glad it wasn't a recluse. The widow bite hurts and made me feel flu-like. The bite is red with a white bump in the center. Boy I can say they sure do have a sharp bite though.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,638 times
I live about 5 miles W of Oak Hill and we have had scorpions in our house all the time during the summer. My neighbors taught me that you have to change your sheets during to white during the summer so you can look for scorpions before you crawl into bed. : )

We do live in a rural area, but the first year we were here, 3 years ago, it was crazy!

My methods of control: Exterminator every other month -- we like Bulwark, they specialize in scorpions and the count dropped a lot when we got them. I also use sticky traps in areas where I see them frequently. Lastly -- they don't even slow down if you spray poison on them, but I have found that if you spray them with Freeze spray -- you can get it at the electronic store -- it really stops them pretty fast. They don't like to be frozen, bwahahaha. Also -- I know some folks hunt them with blacklights -- they glow green at night with a blacklight. I use a blacklight to get to the bathroom at night because I don't want to step on one.

Last thing. Worst thing. The giant sonoran desert centipede. I saw one on my porch last year and my neighbor had one in her house. It's about ten inches long, moves wicked fast, has two giant stingers on its head and is aggressive. Oh -- and its poisonous. Get to a hospital if you are stung, its sting is like a brown recluse, except extremely painful.

Have fun in Texas!

Old 03-28-2008, 09:54 AM

68 posts, read 376,748 times
Reading this entire thread has made me really afraid...mostly of the scorpions and centipedes. A lot of you posting have admitted to living in a somewhat rural or brand new area of development. What are the chances of the same trouble with scorpions actually IN Austin...like near the University? I have family in San Marcos out in Valley View Estates, outside of town in a very wooded area, and scorpions have always (for at least 22 years) been a huge problem...I just don't know what it is actually like IN town. I'm super scared!!!

Old 03-28-2008, 03:27 PM

20 posts, read 107,068 times
I have always lived in town, born and raised...NEVER saw a Scorpion or Cenepiede until I tried to move to Dripping Springs....UHHHH NOOOO!!!! There were at least 10 a day in the house. I broke the lease before i even moved my stuff in. Anywhere that is heavily wooded and rocky you are going to find them. Inside the city with established homes, I would think your ok. I littlerally NEVER saw one until I was 25. Don't worry too much, ants are a worry, but they are pretty easily taken care of. LOL this thread makes Austin seem like a scene out of Star Trek....LOL

Old 03-28-2008, 03:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,481,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Black widows are not really as venemous as their reputation - you probably should go to a dr., but it is not typically deadly; brown recluse, on the other hand, can be very dangerous.
Inaccurate information here (^). First off, black widow venom (Latrodectus spp) is ounce-for-ounce the most potent venom of any venomous critter in the states.

Secondly, brown recluse (Loxoceles reclusa) venom is completely different from widow venom. Widows have a neurotoxic venom, recluses have a cytotoxic venom, which attacks skin tissue at the bite location. It is SUPER RARE that a recluse bite would kill someone, and its only those who have a super bad reaction to their venom who are at risk of renal failure, coagulopathy (sp?), etc.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisch View Post
LOL! But are those the kind you find in Austin?
Those look like little Heterometrus spp, found in Asia. Completely harmless, cool scorpions. I have a juvenile Heterometrus spinifer as a pet.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1967 View Post
Dumb Northerner question, but aren't black widows deadly? What about brown recluse? Large black and white spiders???
Theyre potentially lethal. Most bites carry flu-like sypmtoms, sometimes worse (cramping, etc). Its only those that are very allergic to the venom that risk death. Infants, elderly, and those with weakened immune systems are most at risk.

The brown relcuse spider (Loxoceles reclusa) venom attacks skin cells, leaving nasty lesions/scarring on those who have bad reactions to their venom. Thier venom composition is completely different from a black widow's (Latrodectus hesperus), which attacks the nervous system.

As for "large black and white" spiders? There are many. I cant think of a single spider that color that is even remotely dangerous. In fact, there are only 5 spiders on earth that have the POTENTIAL to kill you (only if youre very allergic), and only 2 of them are found in the states, the widow and brown relcuse. The Sydney Funnel Web spider in Australia is pretty potent, as is the Brazilian wandering spider, but theyre nowhere near the USA.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I'm certainly no snake expert, but this look like a snake that decided to come into my living room last summer. he didn't have a rattle, but the pattern looked suspicious. He was "side-winding" going right for my 10 year old son! I distracted the snake, told my son to run get daddy's shovel from the garage, and proceeded to make snake jelly out of the damned thing. Later I was told its probably not poisonous, but no damned snake threatens my little boy! I think our cats bring snakes in, but usually garter sankes, plain gray with a cream colored underbelly. This guy had too much pattern for me. Plus it was side winding right at me--met his match!
First off, no snakes are poisonous. Second off, theyre not gonna go and attack your baby. Why do people think this stuff? And even if for some strange reason it decided to bite your baby (if your kid grabbed it or something), it wouldnt do any harm whatsoever. Your pet dog or cat would cause 5 times more damage than a non-venomous snake bite ever would.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:57 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,729,166 times
What do you mean, no snakes are poisonous? Last I heard, rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, and coral snakes were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin