Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 07:57 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,328,568 times

Advertisements

My theory is that all the recent digging in the suburbs stirs up the scorpions, snakes, etc. and the inner city core is host rats and mice...not scientific at all, mind you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 09:42 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,663,814 times
Really not that many mice or rates around here, at least not in my experience...think the snakes and coyotes keep em in check .

Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,328,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Really not that many mice or rates around here, at least not in my experience...think the snakes and coyotes keep em in check .
Have you not seen them scurrying across the streets the warehouse/6th/downtown districts? Yuckkkkk.... and our neighbors in Ttown used to have them in their attic all the time.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:19 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,902,878 times
Rats, mice, roaches will ALWAYS be around. Gotta give 'em their props...they sure are adaptable

Old 06-27-2007, 03:55 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,610,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madlion7 View Post
Have had all kinds of run-ins .....maybe even a black bear sighting or two, and LOTS and LOTS of deer! Don't know if we have the stomach for critters of the POISONOUS kind. Do the HOA fees cover any kind of extermination?
HOA will only fine you if you keep too many critters. Extermination is still on your nickle.

I have to ask since no-one else has mentioned it....the black bear siting? Not in Austin I presume.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,709,663 times
I never heard about a black bear sighting, but I've heard that they are now moving up into Texas from Mexico, so it's possible that it may have been in South Texas.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:23 PM

23 posts, read 138,687 times
Default Scorpions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Someone may disagree with me, but I have never heard of scorpions IN the house, unless you live out on a ranch somewhere. I don't think they are an issue in most of the planned developments... but I could be wrong.

I have never seen one, and my sister who has been here quite some time (14+ yrs) has never seen one either.
Growing up in Dripping Springs, I have seen and been stung by many a scorpion. They had nests in our ceiling and we would see them all the time over head. They would drop down to the floor or wherever they happened to drop (sometimes directly on us). I think the house I grew up in was a one in a billion case though. The house I live in now, I have lived here for just over a year and have seen about 3, only stung by one.

As for keeping them out, I don't know how. I have found, however, that a well placed shoe will take care of one directly. If you have them in your home, be sure to always shake out any clothes that aren't hung, and always (I can't stress this enough) check your shoes before putting them on.

If you do happen to get stung, know that the strength of the sting is dependent on the scorpion. Some are stronger than others, and if you get stung by same scorpion more than once, the first sting is the worst. I'm no scientist or anything like it, just know from experience. As for the remedy for the sting, my mom would take the end of a cigarette, shake out the tobacco, mix it with some spit to make a paste, and apply. Apparently nicotine or something contained in cigarettes and snuff help take away the sting.

Most are not lethal, I believe the ones that are live out in the deserts. But always be aware of what is going on. I've never heard of anyone going into anyphylactic (sp?) shock from one, but again, I'm no expert.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:49 PM

23 posts, read 138,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman8126 View Post
Why are you shoveling and hoeing snakes at all??? They KILL mice and rodents which carry disease, and the fact of the matter is THEY were here FIRST. We are invading THEY'RE habitat, NOT the other way around, and in most cases if you LEAVE THEM ALONE, they will go out of they're way to avoid you, or get away....... They have every right to exist just as we do... Sorry but I have a big problem with folks killing snakes and such because of mis-information and being "scared" of them......If a snake such as a rattler, poses and imminent threat to you or a family member, then by all means deal with with it as need be, but killing these beneficial creatures should ALWAYS BE A LAST RESORT............................................

I agree, but my main complaint is people moving out here griping about deer eating their flowers and jumping out in front of their cars. The deer were here first, and all these people are moving in on their homes. They may be a nuisance to ya'll, but they have every right to be here. Now, the population of deer is getting out of hand. I remember a few years back in Lakeway deer were being relocated because there were so many and no one wanted to kill them. I always said they should have hunted them and provided food to people who can't afford to buy it, but I guess that's just my country nature. I was taught that deer were here for us to eat, that it was part of the great circle of life. I know this probably belongs on another thread, but had to speak my mind. Apologies.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:00 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,139,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy_trick_mess View Post
I agree, but my main complaint is people moving out here griping about deer eating their flowers and jumping out in front of their cars. The deer were here first, and all these people are moving in on their homes. They may be a nuisance to ya'll, but they have every right to be here. Now, the population of deer is getting out of hand. I remember a few years back in Lakeway deer were being relocated because there were so many and no one wanted to kill them. I always said they should have hunted them and provided food to people who can't afford to buy it, but I guess that's just my country nature. I was taught that deer were here for us to eat, that it was part of the great circle of life. I know this probably belongs on another thread, but had to speak my mind. Apologies.

If we just hadnt killed all the coyotes and mountain lions.

Actually we have coyotes in the greenbelt behind our house. This year hasnt been too bad for deer eating our plants as it seems like the rain has allowed them to have plenty of food in the greenbelt.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:36 PM

9 posts, read 35,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivy_trick_mess View Post

I agree with you.....Here in San Antonio, there are always deer on the side of the road from being hit, and you have to watch for them when you drive....But you are right they (the deer) didn't ask us to build more and more shopping centers and sub-divisions in they're habitats, and then folks complain when they have no choice but to try and live in our enviroment.. I have no problem with hunting them for food as a measure of population control, but as I've said before, they have a right to exist, just as we do.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin