Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,829 times

Advertisements

I am african american moving to hutto and would like to know how diverse hutto is and does anyone have any comments on huttoparke subdivision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 07:56 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
Hmmmm... I am not familiar with the subdivision - and considering Taylor, which is the next town over, still has a segregated BBQ place - I am not sure how diverse Hutto actually is.

On the more positive side, Hutto is minutes from Round Rock, which is larger and because of Dell - much more diverse... so I don't think that you will have much of a problem. I would probably stay West, vs. East.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 AM

30 posts, read 294,749 times
Default stay out of Hutto

We were going to buy a house in that subdivision,glad we didn't.The place now looks very dull and depressing in my opinion.We looked at other houses in Hutto in other subdivisions,we loved the houses it was just the subdivisions we didn't care for. We bought a house in Round Rock we are very happy with our decision.My friend bought a house in Hutto two years ago,she is now selling her house she said she hates hutto.I would definitly stay more west than east.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,994 times
Default Hutto diversity

Hutto is quite diverse in all aspects. Schools are good, our mayor, Ken Love, is excellent. We have people of all ethnic backgrounds on our city council, boards, and school district. When it comes to leadership or business or social functions, race is NOT an issue in Hutto.
As far as subdivisions go you will have to judge for yourself. Everyone has a different idea of what kind of house they want.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-04-2007 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Please do not advertise here.

Old 07-04-2007, 06:16 PM

92 posts, read 673,792 times
Default Increasing Hutto foreclosures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugs View Post
We were going to buy a house in that subdivision,glad we didn't.The place now looks very dull and depressing in my opinion.We looked at other houses in Hutto in other subdivisions,we loved the houses it was just the subdivisions we didn't care for. We bought a house in Round Rock we are very happy with our decision.My friend bought a house in Hutto two years ago,she is now selling her house she said she hates hutto.I would definitly stay more west than east.
I've had some realtors tell me about increasing number of foreclosures in Hutto...don't know reason why, but I've seen data supporting the realtors' claims...
I concur with preference of living W of I-35 vs. East...topography, scenery, etc....but you're gonna pay more/sq. ft.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:04 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I'm about getting tired of people telling people to stay west instead of East. If the man wants to move to Hutto, tell him about it. Not to stay away. I happen to think that East of 35 is more racially diverse than west. We have a black mayor, who happens to be a really great mayor. Better than the white guy who just retired. I personally don't care for Hutto Parke subdivision, as it's just very small, and the houses aren't very pretty. But there are many other subdivisions IN HUTTO that I think are very nice. Hutto Square, Legends of Hutto, Brushy Creek, Creekside Estates, Some parts of Star Ranch, Lakeside and several others. Foreclosures in Hutto are the same reasons as West of 35. People were put into homes with adjustable rate mortgages, and when the rates went up, they could no longer afford the payments. Not because everyone's poor and can't afford a house. The schools are more diverse than west, I'll venture a guess. Mahlon's right, in business, social, etc... venues in Hutto, race is a non issue. Black people have lots of opportunity here. Hutto and Taylor are quite different. Many people west of 35 are still operating by the old stereotypes, or haven't been East of 35 in many years. If I could afford to live in Steiner, Circle C, River Place, Lake Travis, I probably would...but there are people who can't, or maybe don't want to. One of the ladies in our playgroup just moved to Taylor from Austin, and was surprised at how much larger her yard was than the one she had in Austin. That was one of the reasons she liked about moving to the East of 35. It's 20 miles from Austin, plus the toll road is right here, so it doesn't take any time at all to get anywhere. Dell is very close, plus more industry and business is coming here. Yes, the topography is different, but that doesn't make it worse than west, or uglier. That is subjective.

Last edited by love roses; 07-05-2007 at 09:12 AM..

Old 07-05-2007, 01:07 PM

And the barbeque places in Taylor are Not segregated.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:28 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
There is one that is. NOT the Louie Mueller one, and the other that is on the main street. I don't know the name of it - but it's sort of under a overpass, next to the railroad, red building.

When my husband was working out at ERCOT - he went there without knowing this first and was told about it later. This was less than 6 mths ago.

It's unspoken, but it's visable, and true.

Old 07-05-2007, 05:13 PM

I remember us talking about that one. I always forget about it, since it's off the beaten track. I'm gonna ask my brother in law about that and see what he says. He's born and raised Taylor, so I'm sure he knows more than me. Forgive me for the snappiness, it's a female issue

Old 07-05-2007, 07:48 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
There is one that is. NOT the Louie Mueller one, and the other that is on the main street. I don't know the name of it - but it's sort of under a overpass, next to the railroad, red building.

When my husband was working out at ERCOT - he went there without knowing this first and was told about it later. This was less than 6 mths ago.

It's unspoken, but it's visable, and true.

Wait a minute. Are you telling me that black people (or who??) aren't welcome in there? Will they not serve you? Where is this place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin