Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 08:18 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,069,984 times

Advertisements

Any minority group - not one specifically - are "welcome" but they have to sit on a seperate side from white people, or they aren't acknowledged or served, UNTIL they move to the "right" side.

They even have a sign up in their store that says they USED to be a segregated restaurant - but as I said it's unspoken, but known, by those who go there that it's still in practice.

I just asked my husband and he said the side closest to the train tracks is the "white" side and the side furthest away is for what they would consider other than white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,329,518 times
Wow...tell me the name of this prehistoric place. I'd love to see Obama or Oprah come in and order some brisket and sausage....

Old 07-06-2007, 08:01 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,711,113 times
I just asked, and No, it's not segregated...implied or otherwise. My sister and a few of her co workers just told me about it. It's called Taylor Cafe. However, black people tend to congregate with blacks and whites tend to congregate with whites and hispanics with hispanics. You're talking about a rural/working class blue collar area where groups tend to be cliquish anyway. Taylor has moved on with the times....And anyway, Taylor has nothing to do with Hutto. They're not sister towns.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
No, it's not segregated...implied or otherwise.
My husband has sat there and witnessed it (and refuses to go back) - and had multiple coworkers who have been in the area a long time, agree and confirm what he saw. He worked IN Taylor!

I'm not going to fight back and forth "No there isn't!" "Yes, there is!" We've discussed this a few times on this forum, and several other people backed up what my husband has witnessed. Of course, there is perspective, etc so I really don't think there is a clear cut answer, either way.

So, we should keep it as it stands... "People believe..." and "It's rumored to be..."

Old 07-06-2007, 10:15 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,329,518 times
However, black people tend to congregate with blacks and whites tend to congregate with whites and hispanics with hispanics.

I can't resist...is there an Asian section? Where do black Hispanics sit? How about White Hispanics? Vegetarians? Decisions, decisions....I think I'll stick to the Salt Lick, I'm pretty sure that they don't care where people sit, or what door they use to get in.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 AM

Laugh all you want, but I'm sure some people who live West of 35 wouldn't like it if their town was labled rascist based on outdated or past issues, or percieved images of a rural town because it's East of 35. And it's true people tend to gravitate to people of the same race. Look at some previous threads where people ask about the AA, cuban, South American, Italian, Greek communities because they want to be around people that are familiar with their customs and such. And since I never try to be concerned about how pc I can be, I don't mind bringing it up. But anyway, I don't mean to sound like I'm attacking you personally, because I'm certainly not. It's just one place out of a million, and so out of the way, most people don't know about it unless they live there or get lost.

Last edited by love roses; 07-06-2007 at 11:32 AM..

Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 AM

I don't consider 6 mths ago outdated or a "past issue" and, I LIVE EAST of 35. I am in Forest Creek, which is just outside of Hutto. So my opinion is not based on living west of 35.

I won't go to this BBQ place BECAUSE I wouldn't support something like that - and I believe my husband and his coworkers when they tell me what they have seen, & know from living/working in the area for YEARS.

If anyone was truly concerned about how people "perceive" where they lived, then those people also shouldn't be living in TX period - because a quick look around these forums and you will see there are many stereotypes about TX that are alive and well, true or not.

However, with this specific stereotype (The Taylor Cafe) - it's backed up by personal experience.

Again, believe what you want to believe - but I think you need to be less biased and just accept that "People believe..." and "It's rumored to be..."

Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 AM

I didn't say I didn't believe you, since you are speaking from personal experience. I'm not. I just asked my sister, since her in laws live there. And I know you live East of 35, another reason I didn't say anything referring to you. Maybe if people are concerned about how their areas are perceived, I doubt they should leave Texas, but instead, do something about it, which is what I am trying to do. I grew up with an EXTREMELY rascist father, and in a town that was not quietly rascist at the time, so I do know what it feels like. And I'll never just sit back and accept that "people believe" and "It's rumored to be" (although, I do understand where you're coming from when you say that). I just think that if people do that, then they are continuing to let stereotypes rule what people think about a place, etc...even when they aren't that way, and hence, nothing changes. And I'm only speaking of Hutto here, not Taylor, since I don't live there. Or Round Rock. And I totally respect the opinion of people that have exerience with something and know what they're talking about. Which I am not disputing at all about your husband, since he actually went there. But I have a hard time not being biased, when I know several people in Taylor, some of them nearly 80 years and they are by no means rascist...Just great, decent, hardworking people like everyone else. I feel like I want to say more, but I guess that's enough, since we're drifting off topic anyway. But Hutto is not Taylor and is not practicing segregation. Very diverse here.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM

Texas State Society I hope this link works. I went ahead and saw if I could read something about it, and this was one thing I found, which touched on the issue, and it's actually interesting to me. You have to scroll down to "Bite of Brisket" and it's under Louis Meuller's.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:26 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,387,948 times
Default to answer the original question...

Dear OP,
Based on the above thread, it sounds to me like Hutto does not deserve you. You should consider moving somewhere that doesn't incite lengthy debate about whether it is ACTUALLY SEGREGATED or not. I had a hard time believing what I read here. So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin