Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 08:06 AM

155 posts, read 614,005 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on here live in Hutto, TX? How is it there? How are the schools? What are the pro's and con's of Hutto, TX? We are considering moving there next year. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 08:11 AM

We also want to find out about if there are any parks and/or outdoor fun to be had in Hutto. We have 2 kids. Thanks again.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:52 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Do a search of the Austin forum and you will find lots of info on Hutto...it has been a fairly hot topic .

Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 AM

Ok thanks. I'll try again. When I searched the first time I did not get anything. Maybe I did it wrong.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:35 PM

I have tried to search for Hutto, TX posts and have not found that much. If someone who lives there can please post some info. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2007, 03:55 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I live in Hutto. I'll try and answer what you asked the best I can. I have a 4 year old who is about to be starting the school system, but online I've found that Hutto is acceptable/recognized which is good. The high school, a few years ago, was rated exceptional. The ratings do change from time to time, but from parents I know with kids in each level of the system like it pretty well. I can ask other people for more detailed info if you like. Most of the neighborhoods out here have parks, amenity centers/pools. We have Fritz park which has movies/concerts in the park in the summer. It's relatively new, so not many big trees inside the park itself yet, only along the outside of it. Star Ranch, which is sortof bordered by Hutto, Pflugerville, and maybe RR will be beginning a system of bike and hiking trails which are supposed to tie into a greater Austin/and or Williamson County system, but I think that is still in the planning stages. It'll be great when it does come.
There is just about one elementary school for every neighborhood out here. I live within walking distance of an elementary and Middle school (Cottonwood Creek). It still has a small town feel even though it's grown quite a bit in the last few years. Lots of people in my neighborhood commute into Austin. Some actually work here in Hutto or RR. People are friendly, so it's not hard to make friends. We have some chain resturaunts and some family owned ones. A Lowes is nearly done, there is a home depot, will be a CVS pharmacy and a Holiday Inn Suites coming soon as well. I have my daughter in two play groups here, and the moms are all fantastic! There is the HYFCA (Hutto Youth Football and Cheer Association), I think they may start them at 4 yrs. old. There is a karate studio and 2 dance studios here. My daughter attends one of them. Hutto parks also has a summer sports camp with baseball, basketball, soccer, and who knows what else about to start. I will find out how this is, as a friend from playgroup put her daughter in it. One of the daycares here has swimming lessons in the summer, but you can find good ones all over. We have Hutto Olde time days festival, which I don't think started out as much, but over the years it's grown and added more things, and better music lineup. We've got a garden club that just started this year too, and they had a garden tour.

The Cons:
This isn't so much a con, but the topogrophy east of 35 is flatter than the west of 35. Some people don't like that. It's not that big a deal to me since I have a car and can drive to see bigger hills. We don't have a grocery store of our own yet, and it's been like pulling teeth to get someone to actually come here, but now H.E.B has rezoned and bought some land near Star Ranch to put one up...About *&** time!!
We're currently having a big fight to keep some massive transmission lines from being put up around us. Hutto Citizens Group formed and is currently, along with our mayor putting up a heck of a fight to get this thing killed off or rerouted and put underground. There is also a big fight to keep our landfill from being expanded to include Austin's trash, and trash from all over the U.S, believe it or not. These projects, I believe were originally drawn up when Hutto was nothing but a giant cornfield and a small downtown. Now there are close to 20,000 people here, and I don't think anyone from these big corporations has been out here to see what a problem these projects will actually be for residents. The neighborhoods most drastically affected by these projects would be Hutto Parke and Emory Farms. There is a neighborhood across and down from Hutto Parke that I believe would also be affected. But for those two cons, I think Hutto is a nice little place. The toll road also comes here and shaves time off of commuting or whatever. You can also take backroads almost anywhere. Oh, also the new hospital will be close, there will be 3 new higher education/colleges here. One is already up and running, one under construction, and an A&M campus soon. The RR outlets are also very close, and you can drive backroads there. There is a movie theatre as well, and IKEA is near that. Please, if you have more questions, let me know, I will do my best to answer them. Oh, and ground has been broken for a new high school as well. the local newspaper has a website...thehuttonews.com and there are some letters in the opinion section that look promising...YAY(regarding the landfill issue)

Last edited by love roses; 05-30-2007 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 PM

Thanks for all the info!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:54 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,064,393 times
A big con not mentioned is the water situation! Super high water bills - with little end in sight!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:05 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,290,293 times
vermont08- I read in a post that you may also be considering Burlington. I came from VT to Austin, and my vote would be for Vermont.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
OOPS! Yeah, I forgot about that one..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin