Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,071,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We don't have a grocery store of our own yet, and it's been like pulling teeth to get someone to actually come here, but now H.E.B has rezoned and bought some land near Star Ranch to put one up...About *&** time!!
I just read in the paper this morning that both HEB and Walmart have no immediate plans to open a store in Hutto.

Really stupid decision, if you ask me... but none the less, the article says the rumors are NOT true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 01:22 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,715,461 times
Well, I guess it's time to give up on H.E.B and start petitioning another chain. Or, this would be a perfect opportunity for an enterprising individual to open a mom and pop store. It's so ridiculous to me that every town around us has a grocery store or six or seven, and we have as much population as some of them, and they still won't come here. And my husband hates Walmart, so I guess it's better they're not coming anyway. I mean, really. Home depot, Lowes, CVS, Holiday Inn, Firestone, McDonalds, Chili's, Goodwill, Sonic, Taco Bell, Rio Grande, Subway, Quiznos, Merle Norman, Auto Zone, Stepping Stone, among many others aren't going broke by investing here.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 AM

14 posts, read 60,542 times
Hutto has some other problems, in part reflected in the number of working parents, which means that there are hours each day when one parent or adult are not at home. Many hutto residents have moved out from Austin, and the relatively low cost of housing, as well as the easy? mortgage rates have enabled people to move to better housing. Then there are increasingly deteriorating moral standards, and thus xxxx buddies are becoming common, and new 'entertainment' when parents aren't home. Parents may need to consider that the adolescent's ordinary sore throat has new significance, not viral, but chlamydial or other such bacterial or spirochetal infections.

This is not a situation that is specific to Hutto, but the combination of "I never had . . . , " seeking a better place for one's family, etc., brings these situations together.

There is a youth curfew in Hutto, and the police seem to be doing a pretty good job of taking the adolescents home and talking with their parents.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:38 AM

Maybe I'm just wearing rose colored glasses or it's because my kids not a teenager yet, but I can't figure out why Hutto is the ghetto of the Austin area, with rampant crazy teen gangs, run down neighborhoods, mobs of indigent and very poor people, etc...Call me the hyper-sensitive Hutto resident today, but from what I know, it's not that bad and it seems like it's the "flavor of the month" to stomp on. Seems like any town East of 35 gets more of a bad rap than it deserves. Most of the people I know here are decent, middle class, hard working individuals who are raising decent, well mannered children. Yes, I know we have some problems, but I'd like someone to name a place around here that has none. I bet even the people who live in Steiner and Circle C have kids that are up to something they don't know about, or do but just won't admit it. And there are hits on our side of 35 that seem to not have a lot of merit, such as we're loaded up with rooftop after rooftop of houses and big box stores, as if these things don't exist in places West of 35. Yes, there are lots of working parents, but I know a very large group of about 70 moms that are stay at home, work at home, or part timers. There are none of these West of 35? It seems like a bit of elitism or snobbery to say that because people who "never had..." move somewhere affordable for them, that bad things always happen. Some of these people make great neighbors and truly are wanting to better their situations. The ones that don't around here are a minority. Just seems funny for a place that prides itself on diversity.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:09 AM

Oh good god, this entire response below is absolutely ridiculous! You've got to be kidding me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsoruen View Post
Hutto has some other problems, in part reflected in the number of working parents, which means that there are hours each day when one parent or adult are not at home. Many hutto residents have moved out from Austin, and the relatively low cost of housing, as well as the easy? mortgage rates have enabled people to move to better housing. Then there are increasingly deteriorating moral standards, and thus xxxx buddies are becoming common, and new 'entertainment' when parents aren't home. Parents may need to consider that the adolescent's ordinary sore throat has new significance, not viral, but chlamydial or other such bacterial or spirochetal infections.

This is not a situation that is specific to Hutto, but the combination of "I never had . . . , " seeking a better place for one's family, etc., brings these situations together.

There is a youth curfew in Hutto, and the police seem to be doing a pretty good job of taking the adolescents home and talking with their parents.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:07 AM

178 posts, read 801,780 times
Quality of life: Been to both places and I think hands down, Burlington,Vt. has it. Hutto and area seems a bit on the artificial side. No offence to those who love hutto. If your husband always wanted to live in Burlington, then for the reasons he made that choice , he'd probably find living in Hutto pretty dismal. The long hot summer in Hutto can be suffocating. At least in Burlington you can bundle up and still enjoy being outside!

Old 09-06-2007, 08:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,957 times
Default Hutto Schools

I just found this site and had to comment about the teens in the Hutto area.

We moved to Hutto and the Austin area a year ago. I have one kid in the Hutto high school and one in Hutto middle school. My boys have made good friends here, and the kids I have been exposed to have been remarkably 'good kids'. The schools are small and growing so they don't offer as much as a bigger school district.(varied sports and curriculum) But that also means that they don't have the problems the bigger schools have. No gangs.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 PM

Good to hear, as I have one who will be entering the school system here in another year.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:11 AM

155 posts, read 614,487 times
I wanted to post an update on here. My brother had moved down to Hutto about a year ago with his 4 children and had been trying to get us to move there to be close by. (which is why I started this tread) I wanted to let people know about what is going on now. Their oldest child was due to start K this year so they enrolled her and her first day was a few weeks ago. They are now already planning on pulling her out of school and are trying to somehow get her into a charter school and if not will just end up homeschooling her till they can move to a school zone.

So far in just a few weeks they have found out that she is the only English speaking student in her class, other students in her class are being mean to her and telling her they are going to "cut" (stab) her and these are only 5 yr old kids saying this!!!, the class working on just teaching Spanish to English abc's, kids are telling her how ugly babies are thrown away in trash cans in bathrooms and asked her if her parents found her in the trash can...(we think she is getting this one a lot because she is the only light haired blue eyed student in her class) They tried talking with the school and were told basically to try and get her into a charter school and they even gave them a list of names and numbers for charter and private schools in the area.

My brother was not aware that you could go online and look up any school in any state and find out its test scores, rating based on a 1-10, class size, and how it is doing with federal standards. I encourage anyone on here who has children and already live in Hutto or are thinking of moving there to save money to please look up this info before buying a home out there. We found out that the school that my niece got enrolled is rated academically unacceptable by Texas standards and that her class has 25 students with only 2 teachers in it.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:22 AM

Um, there are no schools within Hutto ISD that are rated as unacceptable.

http://www.thesamfordgroup.com/Public_Schools_Austin.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin