Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 11:39 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Or, of course, the employees of the businesses that are already there have the choice of living in the surrounding neighborhoods (in a variety of kinds of housing) and walking to work or of living in another part of town and driving to work and parking in the already existing parking lot.

One does wonder where those businesses will relocate to and the impact that and the transportation needs of their employees and customers will have. It doesn't just go away, you know, because someone else moved in.
From my understanding the current development now has no residential component. Even if it did the new development will be adding residential capacity at this location, a location that is close to many good jobs that can in turn pay for the high rents. High rents also mean more property taxes collected per square foot, a benefit to all Austin taxpayers.

Business don't necessarily have to relocate. Some have decided to not reopen, but ones that want to remain can probably find a spot since the new development has 80,000 sq. ft. of commercial space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 11:44 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
From my understanding the current development now has no residential component. Even if it did the new development will be adding residential capacity at this location, a location that is close to many good jobs that can in turn pay for the high rents. High rents also mean more property taxes collected per square foot, a benefit to all Austin taxpayers.

Business don't necessarily have to relocate. Some have decided to not reopen, but ones that want to remain can probably find a spot since the new development has 80,000 sq. ft. of commercial space.
I understood it has a handful of apartments. . .not more than a few, certainly nothing close to what is being built.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:03 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
Whatever you guys want to call what's happening - "inward sprawl," "sprawl," "sideways sprawl" - it doesn't change the fact that this part of Austin doesn't have the transportation infrastructure to handle a dense development like this one. All that's going to happen is that once the new development opens, everyone is going to drive their cars there, causing parking and traffic snarls in the area. South Lamar ≠ Downtown

Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
Whatever you guys want to call what's happening - "inward sprawl," "sprawl," "sideways sprawl" - it doesn't change the fact that this part of Austin doesn't have the transportation infrastructure to handle a dense development like this one. All that's going to happen is that once the new development opens, everyone is going to drive their cars there, causing parking and traffic snarls in the area. South Lamar ≠ Downtown
You can put the growth in the suburbs, where car trips are long and opportunities to walk are non-existent and cul-de-sacs lead to feeders which lead to collectors which lead to freeways and there is one way to get from point A to point B. Or you can put the growth in the urban core, where car trips are short and opportunities to walk, pedal, take transit are many, where there are multiple ways to get from point A to point B.

Which do you think causes more time spent in traffic, more gas spent, more CO2 emitted?

Densification, multi-mixed use, creating a sense of place, creating pedestrian friendly environments makes, interconnecting roads and walkways. . .these are the ways to deal with traffic woes - it also happens to be the way you create vibrant, interesting, diverse cities.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
You can put the growth in the suburbs, where car trips are long and opportunities to walk are non-existent and cul-de-sacs lead to feeders which lead to collectors which lead to freeways and there is one way to get from point A to point B. Or you can put the growth in the urban core, where car trips are short and opportunities to walk, pedal, take transit are many, where there are multiple ways to get from point A to point B.
Or option C, move the jobs to the suburbs, where I currently walk to the grocery store, several restaurants, and the park, as well as riding my bike to the library and pool, all the while without entering any of the dangerous roads downtown that would prevent me from doing the same there. Opps, my job is already out here, nvm . Or option D, whatever that may turn out to be...

Nothing is every quite that black-and-white. 'Incentivizing' one solution over another is not the best option, to me. Letting a dynamic market take care of the direction works much better, with only very high-level regulation. Obviously, the market has gotten to the point where this area is ripe for redevelopment. That is great, and I agree that is a positive direction to go. OTOH, I don't think that one solution is mutually exclusive - mass transit and 'job sprawl' can and will also figure in the future of Austin (am I allowed to say 'job sprawl'?).

Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Or you can put the growth in between, in Urban Islands, scattered throughout the city. You keep forgetting that best-of-all option. It's clearly not an Either/Or situation.

Quote:
Densification, multi-mixed use, creating a sense of place, creating pedestrian friendly environments makes, interconnecting roads and walkways. . .these are the ways to deal with traffic woes - it also happens to be the way you create vibrant, interesting, diverse cities.
Yes, and the way you make an entire city interesting, rather than jamming all the development into an overextended core, is to spot smaller units of development around the city and spread all that goodness you mentioned around.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:09 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,399,080 times
The new Lamar Village design looks like a bunch of shoe boxes stuck together to me but that look is popular right now. We stopped going downtown or that direction a few years back. Every time we tried, the traffic and crowds negated any positive aspect of attending. If it's not in or near our hood, we give it a second thought knowing it will be a huge hassle. And thankfully, we have just about everything we need or want close by. I like the idea of villages within the big city.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post

Which do you think causes more time spent in traffic, more gas spent, more CO2 emitted?

Like others have said here, it's not always a one-size-fits-all solution. I'm in favor of dense development in areas that have the infrastructure to handle it - places like UT campus and Downtown. The area of South Lamar we're talking about doesn't have the transportation infrastructure to handle the kind of density you're describing. Either we need to scale back the density to something more appropriate for a suburban area or upgrade the infrastructure along South Lamar in order to handle the increase in people.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Or you can put the growth in between, in Urban Islands, scattered throughout the city. You keep forgetting that best-of-all option. It's clearly not an Either/Or situation.

Yes, and the way you make an entire city interesting, rather than jamming all the development into an overextended core, is to spot smaller units of development around the city and spread all that goodness you mentioned around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
The new Lamar Village design looks like a bunch of shoe boxes stuck together to me but that look is popular right now. We stopped going downtown or that direction a few years back. Every time we tried, the traffic and crowds negated any positive aspect of attending. If it's not in or near our hood, we give it a second thought knowing it will be a huge hassle. And thankfully, we have just about everything we need or want close by. I like the idea of villages within the big city.
This, I think, is the most reasonable solution. After all, most people in Austin already don't go downtown, because the traffic hassles and crowds far outweigh the appeal these days, and there's so much more available elsewhere in town. Why not take advantage of that and instead of trying to force everyone to live near a place they don't go anyway because YOU want that specific kind of "urban density", encourage walkability all over the city in individual "urban islands" or "villages", as mentioned above?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:00 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,318,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This, I think, is the most reasonable solution. After all, most people in Austin already don't go downtown, because the traffic hassles and crowds far outweigh the appeal these days, and there's so much more available elsewhere in town. Why not take advantage of that and instead of trying to force everyone to live near a place they don't go anyway because YOU want that specific kind of "urban density", encourage walkability all over the city in individual "urban islands" or "villages", as mentioned above?
Maybe you don't but I disagree. I'd like for you to show me the data that says "most" people in Austin don't go DT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin