Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 PM

55 posts, read 170,972 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
My DH has been finally accepted at St David's Medical Center near UT and we are ready to move!

We have targeted 3 areas so far for apartments and would like some input and opinions from the locals.

1) LeMed Apartments in the Rosedale area off North Lamar. Looks like it's very walkable to shops and grocery stores. Just from my research looks like a nice safe area.

2) Mueller area, Mosaic apartments. Is this a planned development? I know that east of 35 is not high on the list of most posters as a desirable area to live in but as long as it it is relatively safe, I'm ok. It's just close to St David's so that is a plus for us. I'm from NYC so it couldn't be worse than the South Bronx where I teach.

3) South Lamar apartments near Manchaca Road. How is this area? Is it a walkable neighborhood? I see some restaurants and grocery stores nearby. How about the commute to St David's in the AM?

Just as an afterthought, we were looking at apartments on Camino La Costa which is in St John's; should we scratch that off our list?

Hyde Park looks very good but we have not seen any apartments in our budget range.

If anyone has more areas to recommend that are not too far from St David's, please comment. We would like to live within a 5 mile radius. We only have one car and would like to keep it that way. I also would prefer a walkable area, close to shops, dining and grocery stores.

And we have set our budget at $850 max.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,654 times
Mueller.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,177 times
Rosedale.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:41 PM

543 posts, read 1,741,147 times
I think that you should consider the French Place neighborhood. Proximity to work, good restaurants, walkable etc. Do not be put off by the fact it is on the eastside. The area is very safe. Here is one of several places to checkout albeit slightly over your price cap. There are several others nearby that might be in the $850-900 range.

http://www.fpaustin.com/neighborhood.html

Old 05-13-2012, 11:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOut2012 View Post
1) LeMed Apartments in the Rosedale area off North Lamar. Looks like it's very walkable to shops and grocery stores. Just from my research looks like a nice safe area.
Good proximity to St Davids, heavy traffic area, walkable to Grand Central Market, (upscale supermarket), lots of shops and good restaurants, including Uchiko (James Beard honoree), many transit routes. A little sketchy late at night.

Quote:
2) Mueller area, Mosaic apartments. Is this a planned development?
It's a new development at what used to be Austin's old airport, mostly new townhomes, a shopping center mostly big box stores, film studios on the far side, and Dell Children's Hospital. Nice, convenient to St Davids. Grocery shopping etc. will be at Hancock Center (42nd and I-35). Neighborhoods surrounding it are not great, Pronounced "Miller." Not well served by transit.

Quote:
3) South Lamar apartments near Manchaca Road.
No. Terrible commute across downtown S to N and W to E.

Quote:
Just as an afterthought, we were looking at apartments on Camino La Costa which is in St John's; should we scratch that off our list?
Gated apartments in a rough area.

Quote:
Hyde Park looks very good but we have not seen any apartments in our budget range.
Mix of very expensive houses and student apartments.

Also check North Loop area, just north of Hyde Park.

Last edited by OpenD; 05-13-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
I think that you should consider the French Place neighborhood. http://www.fpaustin.com/neighborhood.html
Heh. The city actually calls this area Upper Boggy Creek, but locals call it French Place, Cherrywood, anything but Upper Boggy Creek. Cracks me up.

Closer than anything else you mentioned, yes. Probably out of your price range today, and no apartment buildings, just garage apartments, duplexes, etc. Vacancies mostly advertised on signs outside.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:50 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

No. Terrible commute across downtown S to N and W to E.

Not correct, it's not a terrible commute at all. We live just near that intersection (S Lamar/Manchaca), and my wife commutes 3 days a week to SDMC, usually by bicycle (recommended) but sometimes by car and it's not bad. Keep in mind nurses don't work traditional 9-5 hours, generally 7-7 so you miss peak traffic times.

OP, like I said I live right around there, and my address' Walk Score is 77, which is considered "Very Walkable". We walk to Sprouts, and sometimes bike to Central Market, Target or the Sunset Valley Farmer's Market, all with a mile or 2 from that area. Tons of restaurants, etc. in the vicinity -- our favorites to walk to are Torchy's, Red's Porch, Phoenicia Bakery & Deli, Wholly Cow Burger, Papalote, etc. etc.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Hello all.
My DH has been finally accepted at St David's Medical Center near UT and we are ready to move!

We have targeted 3 areas so far for apartments and would like some input and opinions from the locals.

2) Mueller area, Mosaic apartments. Is this a planned development? I know that east of 35 is not high on the list of most posters as a desirable area to live in but as long as it it is relatively safe, I'm ok. It's just close to St David's so that is a plus for us. I'm from NYC so it couldn't be worse than the South Bronx where I teach.

3) South Lamar apartments near Manchaca Road. How is this area? Is it a walkable neighborhood? I see some restaurants and grocery stores nearby. How about the commute to St David's in the AM?

If anyone has more areas to recommend that are not too far from St David's, please comment. We would like to live within a 5 mile radius. We only have one car and would like to keep it that way. I also would prefer a walkable area, close to shops, dining and grocery stores.

And we have set our budget at $850 max.
I agree with the advice already given, but would add that unless these apartments are different than others in town, you may not have the luxury of picking. Renters are scrambling to find places and losing out to faster people daily.

I'd personally go for Le Med. Cool older complex in a great spot. It's not "Class A" quality, but location is unbeatable. 2nd choice would be S Lamar.

Steve

Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Yes, on location alone, I would go with Rosedale without having to think about it at all. I'm surprised that those apartments are in your $850 price range right there.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Check out Kensington Apartments and French Quarter, both on North Loop. These apartments are in very popular Allandale, just north of Rosedale. Walkable to HEB (grocery store) on Burnet Road, tons of restaurants, coffee shops, CVS, Walgreens, doctors, etc. Every day something new is opening up in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin