Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,891,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I couldn't agree more. Mother always skinned the chicken too and I have never eaten chicken skin. The thought of eating that yellow skin is replusive to me.

I'll eat the tenders at Chicken Express, but for panfried chicken pieces, I do my own. Just soak the chicken overnight in a salt brine, season & panfry in a cast iron skillet. Nothing fancy, but sure good.
I would have liked eating at your house.....:-)

Mother skinned, rinsed and patted the chicken pieces dry. Then they were dipped in a milk-egg wash, seasoned flour, then the egg mix again, if I remember correctly.

I MISS her and her wonderful cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,110,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I MISS her and her wonderful cooking.
I sympathize. It seems we never can match Mom's cooking. I certainly can't. I wonder if our kids will think of us that way.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,471,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Well, to each his/her own, LOL!! My stomach just turns at the thought of eating chicken skin (yeah, I've TRIED to eat it at Church's/KFC/other)....it just makes me gag...and I'll gladly pass it to someone who actually likes it!!

*Turns green around the gills..*
There, there, <pats hand> don't worry about it. It's not your fault.

Unresolved childhood food hinkeys are indeed heartbreaking, especially when instilled by parents. And it could be worse. I have a friend, a middle aged woman, who cannot stand to have any of the foods on her plate touching each other. Heartbreaking.

Me, I just pile it on. Mom raised me to eat everything. Pass me those sliders, willya?

Old 04-18-2012, 05:05 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,109,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
"Fried Chicken that is worth a road trip"... That is the name of an article I noticed in "The Week" a national news magazine. It listed Lucy's Fried Chicken as "Austin's hottest new picnic-style joint".

It referenced this article At Lucy's in South Austin, the bird is the word where Matthew Odam says:

Quote:
Cajun and Gulf flavors populate the menu, but the undeniable star of the show at Lucy's is the fried chicken. A buttermilk brine penetrates the chicken for 24 hours, giving it a mild tartness. Fried to a rust-colored perfection, the knobby skin enshrines tangy, buttery meat made salty from a dash of soy sauce and piqued by cayenne and paprika.
Sounds delicious, I've gotta go try some soon. The restaurant is located at 2218 College Ave. which is just West of Congress Avenue & Oltorf.
I brought a bucket of Lucy's Fried Chicken home yesterday and can say that it was excellent! I was worried that the cayenne and paprika seasoning might be to spicy but it was perfect and the meat was tender and moist. You can see it here: Fried Chicken Austin | Lucy's Fried Chicken

This fried chicken is truly definitely worth a drive across town to sample it. They also have a much larger menu then I had expected to choose from.

They have some unusual side dishes, I brought two home. Both were rather unusual, the sign of a menu created from the imagination of a chef I suppose.

Crab-Boil Potato Salad - was not very traditional, but was good, the pepper in it wasn't very noticeable when eating it but it had a distinct after burn. I would probably order it again.

Grilled Red Cabbage Slaw - Dark purple cabbage, was still crisp, but had a distinct heavy smokey flavor and very little sauce to it. Neither my wife or I cared much for it.

We will definitly be returning for the Chicken and I want to try the chili and a few other sides.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,896,627 times
We also went this past weekend to Lucy's (because of this thread). The Lone Star Custom Hot Rod Show was in town so there was lots of cool stuff happening on SoCo that day.

Like CptnRn, we found the chicken to be very good. I was a little disappointed with the sides -- collard greens and roasted corn was what we had. The greens were a little bland, and the corn was spicy (which is nice) but not quite roasted enough. It's too bad, they definitely have the chicken right. Crispy but not greasy, very tender inside.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:08 PM

597 posts, read 1,318,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
We also went this past weekend to Lucy's (because of this thread). The Lone Star Custom Hot Rod Show was in town so there was lots of cool stuff happening on SoCo that day.

Like CptnRn, we found the chicken to be very good. I was a little disappointed with the sides -- collard greens and roasted corn was what we had. The greens were a little bland, and the corn was spicy (which is nice) but not quite roasted enough. It's too bad, they definitely have the chicken right. Crispy but not greasy, very tender inside.
Sides are the weak point at all Texas BBQ joints too.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,471,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
Not all. Snow's BBQ, out in Lexington, ranked Best BBQ in Texas a couple of years ago by Texas Monthly magazine, has the best potato salad I've ever tasted. It is literally a potato salad worth a road trip!

I have occasionally gotten out there too late on Saturday morning to get any brisket, but as long as I could get the potato salad, I have felt the trip to be worthwhile.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,110,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfresca View Post
When we were at Lucy's, we had the grilled veggies, which is really on the menu as an entre for vegetarians, I think, and split it between the 3 of us. That was a great "side." The Mexican Coke sweet potatoes were good, too, although not outstanding. One of the reasons I am not fond of most Texas barbeque places is that I can't stand the sides. I like real veggies with my meat. Not potato salad and beans. We liked Lucy's a lot, although it is not cheap. But good food often isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin